Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What films (or TV) will NEVER be released, according to the studios?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-02, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched the Star Wars Holiday Special last night, and I really regret it...

Today, I watched the Roger Corman Fantastic Four movie, as well as Sam Raimi's Within the Woods. The Fantastic Four pic was fairly watchable, especially considering it was Roger Corman. The Within the Woods film, on the other hand, wasn't the greatest cinematic achievement in our 110 years of film-making. It did work for what it was, a test film that got producers interested in the Evil Dead, and made Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi the stars that they are today.

I know Michael Eisner has said that they will never release Song of the South while he is in charge (not to mention some of the cartoons that aren't PC today...) There are quite a few cartoons from other companies that are being sat on, as well.

What other titles have the studios/directors squelched?
Old 12-18-02, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I hope "Hearts of Darkness" isn't on this list. though I'm happy with my LD.
Old 12-18-02, 09:32 PM
Banned

Basically anything "racist" or "offensive" won't be released.

Grab your copies of Airplane and Birth of a Nation now.
Old 12-18-02, 09:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Scot1458

What's the deal with Airplane?
Old 12-18-02, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Aaron Amos
What's the deal with Airplane?
Cut me some slack, jack, my momma didn't raise no dummy, that's just a rap.

Just hang loose blood, she'll catch ya a rebound on the med side
Old 12-19-02, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont really see how the majority of that first sentence is "offensive". I know alot of people who have said "cut me some slack" or "my momma didnt raise no dummy" (or something similar) and they were necessarily black.
Old 12-19-02, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
i'm still waiting for this to hit the theaters or go to video. but i really think this one ain't coming out at all....

New Jersey Turnpikes

funny as hell (at least i thought so) and it had the whole test screening audience on the floor.. but now taht Jayson Williams copped to accidentally shooting his driver... this will never see the light of day.
Old 12-19-02, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story by Todd Haynes

Bottle Rocket (Original short) by Wes Anderson

Both are tied up because of music-rights issues. Both are also available on the net if you know where to look.
Old 12-19-02, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Calculon: The fact that Anderson's short is tied up leads to believe that is what is hindering Janus film in releasing the CC of Bottle Rocket.
Old 12-19-02, 09:08 AM
Banned

when Hayes gives the natives a basketball, they all start playing like the New York Nicks.

Highly highly highly racist
Old 12-19-02, 10:22 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 12-19-02, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

when Hayes gives the natives a basketball, they all start playing like the New York Nicks.

I think your making a bigger deal out of the scene than you should be.

The humor behind the scene isnt the fact that they are black and can play basketball great, its the fact that he is trying to teach the natives team sports and they end up being much better than him.
Old 12-20-02, 03:35 PM

Highly Racist? That statment is troubling. Saying blacks are better than whites in basketball is racist? You'd better also ban 'White Men Can't Jump'

Actually, it's a scientific fact that the reason why blacks are better at Basketball and running is because (genetically) they have thinner ankles which makes for a springier effect. Also, they say that's why whites are generally better in hockey, because whites have thicker ankles and can withstand the tremendous pressure on the ankles while skating.

Note: The above statement is in NO way meant as a racist statement, it's just something that I read about. I wouldn't see it as 100% truth, but it seems to make sense to me in the majority of cases.
Old 12-21-02, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DarthMarklar

Actually, it's a scientific fact that the reason why blacks are better at Basketball and running is because (genetically) they have thinner ankles which makes for a springier effect. Also, they say that's why whites are generally better in hockey, because whites have thicker ankles and can withstand the tremendous pressure on the ankles while skating.

Note: The above statement is in NO way meant as a racist statement, it's just something that I read about. I wouldn't see it as 100% truth, but it seems to make sense to me in the majority of cases.

That does seem to make sense. Considering that ancestors of blacks hail from Africa where they had specialized in hunting & gathering on the plains while the ancestors of whites hail from the colder regions of europe...where there were less plains to hunt and gather on. Of course i'm talking about post Ice-age ancestors...post neanderthal.

More of a evolutionary trait than a "racist" thing.

The point of the scene was less "wow blacks are great at basketball" and more of a "these are natives who have never even heard of this game and they are much better at it than those who are teaching it to them." They could have been asian or polynesian...the humorus effect would have been the same.
Old 12-21-02, 12:37 PM

I have a question (mainly directed towards blacks/African Americans): Do you find the 'Song of the South' to be 'racists'? It's mind boggling that disney allows it to be sold overseas in PAL, but won't allow the sale of it in America because it's racist? Aren't there a TON of movies that can be considered racist? I'm sure we all know of a movie that we find offensive.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-21-02, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,464 Likes on 931 Posts
I asked a black woman I was tutoring about cutting Fantasia to preserve modern sensibilities. She thought that it was a dumb thing to do. But when I showed her a picture of the black maids she changed her mind. She said she wouldn't show her children a movie in which even black centaurs are no more than servants to white centaurs.

OT: The Rolling Stones movie "C_cksucker Blues" can only be shown by its director. He does the campus circuit.
Old 12-21-02, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DarthMarklar
I have a question (mainly directed towards blacks/African Americans): Do you find the 'Song of the South' to be 'racists'? It's mind boggling that disney allows it to be sold overseas in PAL, but won't allow the sale of it in America because it's racist? Aren't there a TON of movies that can be considered racist? I'm sure we all know of a movie that we find offensive.

Any thoughts?
Nope not at all.

And for the record I LOVED the basketball scene in Airplane and the two jive talkers hell, I didn't know what they were saying with out the subtitles and I can speak slang with the best of them. Now sprinkle me some of that game!