Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spinal Tap and Black Stallion join the National Film Registry

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-02, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, talk about respect for the Tap! Now it will be preserved forever.

'Spinal Tap,' 'Black Stallion,' Classic Documentaries Join National Film Registry
WASHINGTON (AP) - Crank up the volume to 11 forever: "This is Spinal Tap" will be preserved by the National Film Registry.
The mordant 1984 "mockumentary" of rock star pretensions joins the children's classic "The Black Stallion," sci-fi groundbreaker "Alien," and 22 other films selected this year for preservation by the Library of Congress.

Also included are "All My Babies," a 1953 film made to educate midwives in the South, and "Through Navajo Eyes," a 1966 series of documentaries on an Indian tribe.

The registry now contains 350 films. Making the list helps "ensure that the film is preserved for all time," the library said in a statement.

"The selection of a film, I stress, is not an endorsement of its ideology or content, but rather a recognition of the film's importance in American film and cultural history and history in general," Congressional Librarian James H. Billington said.

"Spinal Tap" was not the first satire to use the documentary form to needle its subject, but with its would-be geniuses delivering bloated confessionals and staging "events" that go hilariously awry, it has become the template for others. "The Country Bears," a Disney outing this year, was in part a homage to "Spinal Tap."

In one memorable moment, rock auteur Nigel Tufnel, played by Christopher Guest, explains his pride and joy - an amplifier with dials that reach "11" - to a documentarian played by the film's real director, Rob Reiner.

"It's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?"

"Alien," the 1979 Ridley Scott film, veered cinematic science fiction sharply away from the sunny optimism of "Star Wars," "Star Trek" and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind," and restored the threat of the unknown to space exploration. It also established what was then almost unknown: the strong female sci-fi lead, played by Sigourney Weaver.

Other films included are Vincente Minnelli's "The Bad and the Beautiful," a scorching 1952 examination of how Hollywood exploits and discards talent, starring Kirk Douglas; and to "From Stump to Ship," a 1930 documentary on logging in Maine.

There's "Fuji," 1974, Robert Breer's experimental travelogue on a train trip in Japan, and "The Endless Summer," a 1966 documentary about two surfers hoping to catch the perfect wave. "The Black Stallion," Carroll Ballard's 1979 adaptation film of the Walter Farley children's classic, is also on the list.

One of the selections is over a century old: "The Star Theatre" records the 1901 demolition of a New York theater.

Also on the list is a film version of Oscar Wilde's play "Lady Windermere's Fan," made in 1925, "Boyz N the Hood," John Singleton's 1991 account of Los Angeles gang life, and "Melody Ranch," 1938, which starred Gene Autry, the first singing cowboy.

Emphasizing the need to preserve film, Billington said that half the movies produced before 1950 and between 80 and 90 percent of those dating before 1920 have been lost to chemical deterioration.

---

On the Net:

National Film Presentation Board: http://www.loc.gov/film
Oh, and that Black Stallion ain't no slouch either. Beautiful film. Then again, I haven't seen it in over 23 years. Geeze, I'm old.
Old 12-18-02, 08:00 AM

It's about time!

Now the movie is like a preserved moose.
Old 12-18-02, 08:07 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Here comes the onslaught of "Yo! Those movies are boring. Where's Fight Club and The Matrix, yo yo?" posts.
Old 12-18-02, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man This is Spinal Tap is my fav comedy of all time I believe
Old 12-18-02, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they're picking 1984 films, there are better ones to choose. (*cough* Ghostbusters *cough* Amadeus *cough*)

But then, it's their Registry, their call.
Old 12-18-02, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
"You can't really dust for vomit"
Old 12-18-02, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by LBPound
If they're picking 1984 films, there are better ones to choose. (*cough* Ghostbusters *cough* Amadeus *cough*)

But then, it's their Registry, their call.
Amadeus better? Maybe. Ghostbusters better? (*cough*) Hardly (*cough*)

Hell, Tap is also scarier (and funnier) than Ghostbusters, because they've got, you know, armadillos in their trousers.
Old 12-18-02, 02:05 PM
Banned

I nominate the first half of The Black Stalion to be preserved forever. I nominate the second half with Mickey Roney to be turned into guitar picks and thrown away.
Old 12-18-02, 10:41 PM

Can we do that to the third act of A.I. while we are at it?
Old 12-18-02, 11:09 PM

The Three Stooges are in the National Film Registry! Punch Drunks (1934).
Old 12-19-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
This is too cool.... odd, but cool.

...and don't forget... "mime is money"