Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fan Review - Evelyn

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Fan Review - Evelyn

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-02, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan Review - Evelyn

Evelyn" is the movie that Pierce Brosnan promised his fans it would be: heartwarming, touching and full of hope.

The movie is based on the true story of Desmond Doyle, who forever changed the laws in England in 1953 by proving that the Children's Act of 1942 worked against the unalienable rights granted to parents and children in the Irish constitution. Of course, liberties with the film have been taken along the way, but the love that Doyle had for his children, and they for him, come through loud and clear.

Kudos goes to Sophie Vavasseur, Hugh McDonagh, and Niall Beagan who play the Doyle children, Sophie, Maurice and Dermott. These children performed their roles very well, in particular young Sophie, and were always a welcome addition to the scenes they are in.

Sophie very well could have played up the cute, or played up being a brat with the nuns, but she, like the adults around her, goes for natural style. She hates her mother for leaving, clings to her dad, believes what her grandfather tells her, warms up to the nuns that are kind, and even finds a way to forgive the nun that was cruel to her. Sophie Vavasseur plays Evelyn as a real child, and in doing so, makes that character all the more real to the audience.

Credit too, goes to the adults around them, who allowed these kids to do what they had to, without fear of the scenes being stolen by them.

And speaking of those adults:

The Catholic Church: My one small quibble with this film is how the Christian Brothers are portrayed. One could walk away from this film thinking that the Christian Brothers were good and the nuns were bad. Not so...they are stunk. Never the less, the interaction at the convent, particularly Sisters Felicity and Teresa sticking by Sister Bridget, and not giving her up for being the child beater than she was, rings true of behavior by those employed by the church then, and sadly, now.

The True Church: the people. Well done were the writers and the actors who reminded us that the true core of the church is the Trinity and Faith, Hope and Love. The people of Ireland knew then and know now, that is the way things are, and that is why they clung to Doyle, because he set about to prove that to them and to themselves. All the people in that town had faith in God and in Doyle that justice would be served, and so it was.

Frank Kelly: Playing Henry Doyle, the father of Desmond and grandfather to the children, Kelly does an excellent job capturing the heart of man who loves his family dearly and does what he can to support all of them, while he is with them, and while he is not.

Eileen Colgan: I believe had the difficult task of playing the children's maternal grandmother, and Desmond's mother-in-law. She is certainly witchy enough in the beginning, but as she sees how her actions have truly hurt her grandchildren, she steps up to the plate and supports Desmond in his fight to get the children back.

Julianna Margulies: As Bernadette, Ms. Margulies has to convince the audience that a strong woman ahead of her time (studying to be a chemist when women weren't supposed to have professions), would be a attracted to a man like Desmond Doyle. And yet she convinces the audience of this as we watch her watch Desi, and see through the drinking and brawling to the beautiful soul inside of him.

Alan Bates: If you want a scene stealer, here he is. With his commanding presence, quick wit, and strong sense of character, we the audience truly believe that this man is Tom Connolly, former Rugby star, and now star of the courtroom. His last scene, during the justice's "However" speech, is a study in perfect facial and body expressions.

Stephen Rea: Finally, Mr. Rea gets to dress up and look sharp and play sharp as Michael Beattie, the solicitor who first takes on the Doyle case. He is properly reserved and hopeful at the same time, anxious, as everyone was in the fifties to break the hold of the State and the Church in 1950's Ireland.

Aidian Quinn: Now for some reason Mr. Quinn has been getting less than stellar reviews of his performance in "Evelyn," and frankly, I don't know why. Some critics say they don't see his attraction to Bernadette, and yet, it is clear to me by the little gifts he brings her and the smiles he bestows upon her, that he is smitten. It is equally easy to see that his character, Nick Barron, is still pained by the loss of his children, and will put aside his jealous of Doyle (and yes this does come out later on, and I will discuss that shortly), to help the man win his children back.

And last but by no stretch of the imagination least:

Pierce Brosnan: This is not James Bond, this not Thomas Crown, and it sure as hell isn't Remington Steele. For some, that might be a problem. For Brosnan fans it won't be. And for Pierce Brosnan is certainly was not. Amazingly (and perhaps someone should ask the folks at Eon about this), Brosnan looks ten times better in "Evelyn" than he did in "Die Another Day."

The quiet strength that was buried under alcohol and smoke that Desmond Doyle possessed is clearly displayed here, in fine moments of torture and tears. It is not just saddness in the tears of Desi as he cuts up the family photos and tosses them into the fire, it's disappointment in his wife and himself. When he brawls with the priest, we know it is not the priest he hates, it's the church. When he looks at Bernadette, we see a man coming alive again. After Evelyn points out the "Angel Rays" to her father, Desi doesn't patronize her; his quiet faith in God and his own earth Father, allows him to believe that he has friends in heaven and all is not lost. And yes, when Desmond and Nick have their discussion on the topic of Bernadette, and each find out the offers made to the lovely woman, Desmond knows he doesn't stand a fighting chance against the lawyer, but that doesn't make him think about changing lawyers, nor does Nick do anything to Desi to better his chances with Bernadette. Both men know they are in love with a strong woman, and let her make her decisions.

All the moments mentioned above are communicated by Mr. Brosnan with looks, facial expressions, body language, and the natural tones of voice that we all use to communicate our feelings. These tools Mr. Brosnan is often denied when he is locked into the role of Bond, but as Doyle, Brosnan can allow his character to fall out of love and back in love again, to cry, to laugh, and yes, even to sing, without fear of his cover being blown. It's true, everyone sees through Desmond, knows he is a blowhard with a heart of gold and true love for his family, but you know what, just as much as James Bond ever did, Desmond Doyle changed the world too.

If you are waiting for moments like Pacino's "courtroom" speech in "Scent of A Woman" or warrior like strength as displayed by Russell Crowe in "Gladiator," you will be disappointed. There are no over the top moments of bravura acting from Mr. Brosnan, but the natural anger and strength that comes when a parent must fight for his children is well displayed in the courtroom scenes and in the scene the confrontation scene with Beattie and Barron. And that is precisely how those scenes should be played.

At last Pierce Brosnan gets to emote in a movie, and when he does, we are neither riveted nor replused...we are comforted by the actions and emotions we see every day in people who love their families.

If you only want to see Pierce Brosnan in action movies, don't see this movie. If you want to see Pierce Brosnan in an academy award worthy performance, see "Evelyn."

Last edited by bozy; 12-19-02 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-17-02, 12:16 PM

It is wonderful to see movies made that do not feature sex or violence and touches the heart strings of ones emotions. Great movie!
Old 12-18-02, 07:51 AM

the soundtrack features exclusive, inspired performance from legendary singer Van Morrison, PB also sings in it.
Old 12-19-02, 10:55 AM

Music from the Motion Picture

EVELYN
Features Exclusive Performances By Legendary Singer VAN MORRISON,

Lead Actor PIERCE BROSNAN and Scandinavian Sensation SISSEL

Original Music Composed By STEPHEN ENDELMAN

CD Released November 26, 2002 From Decca Records/UMG Soundtracks

(New York, NY - November 12, 2002) - Fresh off the success of his legendary
role as James Bond, Pierce Brosnan stars in the irresistibly heartwarming
drama, Evelyn. In keeping with the spirit of the holiday season, the film
centers around Desmond Doyle (played by Brosnan), a man desperate to get his
children home in time for Christmas after a prolonged custody battle with
the Catholic Church. Highlighting the film's emotional pull, the soundtrack
features exclusive, inspired performances from legendary singer Van
Morrison, film star Pierce Brosnan and the sublime, haunting vocalist
Sissel. In addition, the film and disc feature original music written by
acclaimed composer Stephen Endelman. Music From The Motion Picture Evelyn
will be released November 26, 2002 from Decca Records/UMG Soundtracks.

Evelyn was a labor of love for all of those involved in the evolution of the
film and its music. A treat for movie-goers, the CD package contains
special liner notes written by Pierce Brosnan, who comments, "The story had
a heart-felt meaning to it that we all could relate to, and above all else.
it had humor." Brosnan performs on two tracks, including "On The Banks Of
the Roses" and "The Parting Glass," illustrating his character's complexity
through song. The unmistakable vocals on "Sitting On Top of the World" are
that of multi-Grammy ® winner Van Morrison. A celebrated singer and
songwriter, Morrison's career is stronger than ever with the release of his
latest album earlier this year, Down the Road on Universal Records.

Remarkable musician and composer Stephen Endelman lends his talents in
multiple ways to the soundtrack. He penned a new song "Angel Eyes"
especially for Evelyn, performed by the ethereal vocalist Sissel who the
Associated Press recently called "a lyric soprano." No stranger to the
world of film, Sissel was also featured on the blockbuster Titanic
soundtrack, and has just released her self-titled US debut on Decca Records.
Endelman also composed the original music that so dramatically lends itself
to the emotional tone of the film, while also acting as orchestrator and
conductor. Drawing inspiration from many aspects of life, he composes for
film, opera, and a variety of other musical collaborations covering a wide
range of genres. His past film projects include the score for Flirting with
Disaster and Bride of the Wind, as well as collaborating with Robert DeNiro
on the music for "A Bronx Tale." Currently, he is re-teaming with Evelyn
director, Bruce Beresford (Driving Miss Daisy) on their third collaboration,
Pancho Villa, due for release on HBO in early 2003.

Set in Ireland in 1953, Evelyn is the true story of Desmond Doyle, a father
who fought a prolonged legal battle with the Irish government and the
Catholic Church to overturn an arcane custody law that deprived him of
access to his four children, including his daughter Evelyn, after his wife
ran away and he lost his job. The film co-stars Julianna Margulies, Aidan
Quinn, Stephen Rea, Alan Bates and nine-year old newcomer Sophie Vavasseur
as Evelyn.

An MGM film, Evelyn opens on December 13 at select theatres in New York and
Los Angeles, and opens wide by December 25th.

###

Old 12-19-02, 11:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Fan Review - Evelyn

Originally posted by bozy

Aidian Quinn: Now for some reason Mr. Quinn has been getting less than stellar reviews of his performance in "Evelyn," and frankly, I don't know why. Some critics say they don't see his attraction to Bernadette, and yet, it is clear to me by the little gifts he brings her and the smiles he bestows upon her, that he is smitten. It is equally easy to see that his character, Nick Barron, is still pained by the loss of his children, and will put aside his jealous of Doyle (and yes this does come out later on, and I will discuss that shortly), to help the man win his children back.

I don't know too much of Aidan Quinn's heritage or family background but he's no stranger to Irish themed films: "Playboys", "Michael Collins" and "This is My Father" and I very interested in seeing him in "Evelyn"
Old 12-19-02, 02:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
updated: Select cities (DC included: three theatres) get "Evelyn" on December 20th.
Old 12-19-02, 07:04 PM
Banned

Any word of when this film(if ever ) goes nationwide or will I have to wait for it on DVD?
Old 12-20-02, 05:33 AM

Originally posted by Aaron Amos
Any word of when this film(if ever ) goes nationwide or will I have to wait for it on DVD?
please check the release schedule here

http://members.fortunecity.com/mbe/evelyn/release.html
Old 12-20-02, 10:26 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
I've only seen the trailer, but it looks very promising. Can't wait to see it.
Old 12-20-02, 09:43 PM

http://www.mgm.com/evelyn/story.html

the official site is here
Old 12-21-02, 12:13 PM

more review here:-

Directed by Bruce Beresford (Driving Miss Daisy, Tender Mercies), at times I felt as though I was watching a film directed by the ghost of John Ford. This is a simple, straight-forward film that tells a story of human drama with a simplistic, heartfelt honesty that is truly refreshing in this age of CGI, blue screen, and special effects. The story is what matters here, and the actors, a very fine group at that, do nothing more than deliver the very best that the script has to offer.

A wonderful family tale, a bit of the ol' Irish, a charmingly simple story, Evelyn is a wonderful film that should not be missed. It is definitely one of my top favorites of 2002.

http://www.filmmonthly.com/Video/Art...yn/Evelyn.html
Old 12-22-02, 01:02 PM

http://members.fortunecity.com/mbe/evelyn/index.html

fan site here!
Old 12-22-02, 07:49 PM

the review i post isnt my review but a fan review i find on the net. i post it becuase its a good review.
Old 12-25-02, 01:40 AM

more critics reviews here!!

http://members.fortunecity.com/mbe/evelyn/reviews.html
Old 12-27-02, 03:22 AM

Subject: Re: If UA doesn't **** up marketing of Evelyn..
Date: 2002-12-21 14:59:33 PST

I agree, this was one of the best movies I have seen all of this year,
and
UA should do their best to market it. However, in the Chicago Land
area,
there are only TWO theatres playing it. Hopefully, this will change.

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&...cordia.general
Old 12-28-02, 08:48 PM

Puck Bond

Fav Movie: LOTR,James Bond,The Shawshank Redemption

Evelyn 9/10...
Evelyn is a great, wonderful and genuinely heartwarming film about fighting for whats right and never giving up hope. Although it is predictable and sentimental it is never manipulative or boring and you just can't help but having a great feeling after seeing this film. Pierce Brosnan gives a great ,Oscar worthy performance as Desmond Doyle...a simple tradesman getting by with his wife and three children in Dublin, Ireland during the 1950's. After he loses his job and his wife leaves him for another man his three children are only left with one parent and no money. The Children's Act of 1941 requires that children should have a suitable environment to grow up in. The state comes in and takes Desmond's children away. Two boys go off to a boarding school and a little girl named Evelyn, wonderfully played by Sophie Vavasseur, who is absolutely adorable and funny, who is taken off to a catholic held orphanage. The state and church won't allow Desmond to get his children back or even see them until he improves his financial situaion and creates a better living environment to raise his kids, meaning he needs to give up drinking too. Desmond has a terrible time finding work and what there is really doesn't help. He even has to resort to singing songs in the local pub with his father. However, Desmond is a man driven by love for his children and a desire to get them back home for Christmas. He is a flawed man, alcoholic, violent at times...but never to his children, who he loves dearly. He of course needs help from local lawyers one played by Stephen Rea and a Yank played by Aidan Quinn. Even a former rugby star played by Alan Bates joins the team. Based on a true story of one man's fight for what is right...he went up against two of the most powerfu institutions in church and state and challenged the Children's Act of 1941...siting it as in conflict to the Irish constitution. I also loved this film because of the Irish and there country...there is something about the friendly people, the country, the city; the film is beautifully shot. Having lived in rural England, its not that dissimilar. To me it just feels like home, despite the poorest of conditions. Overall, Evelyn is a wonderful film featuring a powerful performance by Pierce Brosnan as Desmond Doyle who made Irish history in the pursuit to get his children home.
Old 12-28-02, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Hopefully it will get some GREAT word of mouth... because it is nothing short of fantastic. It would be a shame if it is ignored.
Old 12-30-02, 11:19 AM

A little pearl!
There are movies that can be compared to a small hand-made piece that you find rather coincidently as it seems so unspectacular, it might be overlooked. Having found it, however, you see with how much care it was created and it becomes something unique. "Evelyn" is such a movie. It amazed me how this little picture accomplishes its own perfection in a traditional way. There have been numerous variations of the ever present David-and-Goliath story and when it comes to its interpretation, "Evelyn" is no exception to the rule. We are not presented any new insights or revolutionary thoughts - and it doesn't matter. The calmness and steady flow of the story somehow shows that radical provocation was not intended. Even concerning the bad misdeeds and failures of the Catholic Church the movie seems to make an effort to stay just, maybe. The movie's success lies in the way it is told. It is a highly sentimental (though true) story, but - unlike many pictures - it doesn't fall apart into the realm of emotional overflow. The witty and often humorous script makes it a tale of sensitive intelligence that appeals to your finer feelings. The movie's harmony is also due to a suitable cast, lead by the impressive performance of Pierce Brosnan. It is astonishing how he manages to erase those persistent images of his James Bond persona lingering in the minds of a spoiled and - let's face it - sometimes not very flexible audience. He creates another kind of heroism here in not trying to save the world but his own little life. It is, indeed, fascinating to witness Mr Brosnan walking that thin line on which he is totally out of his famous Alter Ego, in a way you are not even reminded of it, yet without any touch of overacting. And this is exactly what sticks to the entire movie. It is a level of its own. It seems it was edited by caring hands. Surely, the picture has got its flaws, for instance a little girl that is almost too good to be true; in the end, however, it presents itself polished, completed.
Old 01-01-03, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by d2cheer
Hopefully it will get some GREAT word of mouth... because it is nothing short of fantastic. It would be a shame if it is ignored.
will it ever come out?