Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The difference between the theatrical release of LOTR and the new DVD's

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-02, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was searching the forums and I came across this thread:

LOTR: Seriously, who made the rings???
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=229027

I started reading it (I suggest you DON'T, since it turns into a HATE forum ) and I was appauled, but maybe someone could shed some light on the situation.

The original question asks "Who made the rings?". Now at the time the thread was created, the extended editions weren't out on DVD yet, the extended editions clearly explain the back story to the rings in the beginning of the movie. The thread is followed by an onslaught of replies about the original poster should read the books or the thread should be moved to the 'books' forum.

Since I have only recently gotten into the LOTR hype, and I'm not as familiar with it as most are...Was this opening only available in the extended editions? Didn't the original theatrical release have this opening as well?
Old 12-15-02, 11:54 AM

Elves made all the rings, except for the One Ring, which was made by Sauron. For the full scoop, see:

http://members.cts.com/king/e/erikt/...n/rings_of.htm

The bits of the FOTR opening that explain the making of the rings are the same in the theatrical version and the extended edition. For a transcript of the theatrical version, see:

http://www.stupidring.com/fotrscript..._annotated.htm

The movie doesn't really say who made the other rings. No doubt Jackson figured that this was the sort of detail that the average movie-goer didn't really need to know.
Old 12-15-02, 12:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Inverse
No doubt Jackson figured that this was the sort of detail that the average movie-goer didn't really need to know.
Pretty much. Who made the rings has zero impact on the story.
Old 12-15-02, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The difference between the theatrical release of LOTR and the new DVD's

Originally posted by DarthMarklar
I was searching the forums and I came across this thread:

LOTR: Seriously, who made the rings???
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=229027

I started reading it (I suggest you DON'T, since it turns into a HATE forum ) and I was appauled, but maybe someone could shed some light on the situation.
Actually, beyond a few posts in that thread which are flame-bait, I think that discussion was actually quite informative and interesting. I didn't see a lot of the "hate" you speak of - just a few inane responses and a few ruffled feathers, of which, I ignored. But honestly, there's a lot of good stuff in that thread that is quite illuminating. I really suggest you read the entire thread and skip the flame posts - it's worth the read.

The original question asks "Who made the rings?". Now at the time the thread was created, the extended editions weren't out on DVD yet, the extended editions clearly explain the back story to the rings in the beginning of the movie. The thread is followed by an onslaught of replies about the original poster should read the books or the thread should be moved to the 'books' forum.

Since I have only recently gotten into the LOTR hype, and I'm not as familiar with it as most are...Was this opening only available in the extended editions? Didn't the original theatrical release have this opening as well?
In the opening narrative, it is discussed that the Great Rings were given to the elves, dwarves and humans. And of course, that Sauron secretly created The One Ring to control them all.

This opening is intact in both versions of the film.

Of course, its never explicitly established that Sauron was responsible for "giving" the rings to the three races, but it is certainly implied. This historical account of course does differ slightly from Tolkien's explanation of the forging of the rings (the elvish rings were not of Sauron's construction). But that being said, it's a minor plot point that does not need to be explored.

While it doesn't really matter who created the Great Rings, it definitely matters that it was Sauron who imbued his essence into The One Ring, and that with it, he could corrupt those who wore the other rings of power.

Anyway, the Extended Edition of Fellowship Of The Ring does nothing to expand upon the history of the rings (albeit, it does give a few additional scenes with Isildur and The One Ring). So in other words, if you want more history... read the books.

-matt
Old 12-15-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
The EE DVD does have a longer prologue in storyboard format on the 3rd disc. That prologue goes a bit deeper into the forging of the rings.
Old 12-15-02, 02:40 PM

Re: Re: The difference between the theatrical release of LOTR and the new DVD's

Originally posted by raithen
In the opening narrative, it is discussed that the Great Rings were given to the elves, dwarves and humans.
I thought it was mentioned that the dwarves were the ones that made ALL of the rings (except for Saurons')....or is that information given in the supplemental stuff on the extended versions? Wow! Too much information on the extra discs to keep track.

I haven't read the books either and it seemed pretty obvious (from watching the movie) where the Rings came from, but I could be mistaken, that's why I wanted to know if the original DVD is slightly more confusing without the added stuff from the 4 and 5 disc versions.

p.s. I just noticed, from the other thread, that Snake Plissken (with whom I had problems with particular posts) had been banned, I guess that answers my question.
Old 12-15-02, 02:50 PM

I forgot to mention what my 'real' motive was for posting this thread:

When 'Two Towers' is released on DVD, is it going to get the same treatment as the first? i.e. The original theatrical release and then (months later) the extended 4 and 5 disc versions come out? Or is it too early to tell?

Not being well informed as most fans are, I LOVE all the explanations that are on the supplemental discs. It's given me a NEW apprecation for the movies and I'm more stoked than ever to see the rest. I'm slightly upset that I bought the 4 disc over the 5 disc version because I don't have much time to read all the books and the DVD's give a TON of info.

I'll be anxiously waiting to read the next thread that mentions 'Two Towers: 5 Disc Extended Edition DVD"
Old 12-15-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Yes, both TTT and ROTK will get similar DVD releases to FOTR. First a 2-disc theatrical disc, then an Extended Edition later on. I'm not sure if each one will have a 5-disc gift set though, that might be exclusive to the first movie.
Old 12-15-02, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
But will we get the same letter from Kevin Doyle of Buena Park, Calif. in a future Entertainment Weekly which reads:
I am so sick and tired of purchasing a DVD only to discover some months later a "Special Edition" DVD with even more goodies. New Line is now gouging us for a four disc Special Extended Edition of the Lord Of the Rings for $40. These gazillionaire movie studios need to stop sticking it to the average Joe and give us the good stuff up front.
Old 12-15-02, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: The difference between the theatrical release of LOTR and the new DVD's

Originally posted by DarthMarklar
I thought it was mentioned that the dwarves were the ones that made ALL of the rings (except for Saurons')....or is that information given in the supplemental stuff on the extended versions? Wow! Too much information on the extra discs to keep track.
I don't remember hearing that the dwarves were responsible for forging the rings - though they were known for forging mithril armor and weapons (they mention Bilbo's mithril shirt - a gift from a dwarf, Thorin).

In the books, it is explained that Sauron helped in the forging of all of the Great Rings with the elves. It was through his lore that all of the Rings of Power were forged. But the elves managed to discover his plans with the One Ring (which he secretly created to control them all) and took off their rings when they felt his presence.

I haven't read the books either and it seemed pretty obvious (from watching the movie) where the Rings came from, but I could be mistaken, that's why I wanted to know if the original DVD is slightly more confusing without the added stuff from the 4 and 5 disc versions.

p.s. I just noticed, from the other thread, that Snake Plissken (with whom I had problems with particular posts) had been banned, I guess that answers my question.
Mr. Plissken needs to learn tact - maybe the time off will help.

Sometimes threads get a bit carried away, but there's some good stuff in that one. I think some people are a bit confused by what was in the books and what was portrayed in the film. Jackson didn't change a lot, but the fanboys often mention stuff that kind of confuse those who aren't familiar with the books - like exactly who forged the rings, etc.

If you're interested, I highly recommend checking out the following site for Tolkien resources:

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.htm

Cheers,

-matt
Old 12-15-02, 06:00 PM

I figured out where the mention of the creation of the rings was.

On Supplemental Disc 3:
Visualizing The Story -> Early Storyboards -> "The Prologue"

The abandoned prologue says that Sauron persuaded the Elves to create the rings.

p.s. In fact the Movie is TOTALLY incorrect, the ring wasn't made by Sauron...it was made by Applause
http://www.lordoftheringscatalog.com...1_product.html