Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gollum for Best Supporting CGI.. i mean Actor?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-12-02, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From IMDB:
'Lord of the Rings' Seeks Gollum Oscar

The makers of the new Lord Of The Rings movie are campaigning for an Oscar for one of their stars - even though he's completely computer generated. The Two Towers producer, Barrie Osborne, and director, Peter Jackson, were so impressed with their animated character Gollum that they believe he deserves recognition in next year's Academy Awards. However, the filmmakers really know that actor Andy Serkis - who voices the skeletal figure - is the one who deserves the credit for making the computer generated role come to life on the big screen. Osborne says, "The performance is really driven by Andy. He deserves a nomination for a Supporting Actor Oscar and we are going to campaign for him to get one." Jackson adds, "Andy create the character. He says the dialogue, he plays the scenes and the computer captures his movement and translates that to the digital version of Gollum."
Old 12-12-02, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting - how early do these campaigns normally begin?

This movie isn't even out yet!
Old 12-12-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It could actually happen.

Flesh-and-blood-actors run in fear!
Old 12-12-02, 06:54 PM
Banned

Please no. No offense to Lord Of The Rings or anything but I'd rather not see an award show further promote CGI.
Old 12-12-02, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It wouldn't be Promoting CGI, it would be simply acknowledging it's existance and how CGI can not stand alone and Needs the actor playing the role.

On that note, I say don't nominate him, though I have not seen TT yet, so Maybe I will change my mind after.
Old 12-12-02, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts
You can nominate more than one actor per movie can't you.

I would rather see Ian win this one.
Old 12-12-02, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts
If it isn't a real person, then it shouldn't be nominated.
Old 12-12-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
But it is a real person acting, doing the voice and everything. Just because they are never on screen as themselves, does that mean it's not them doing the work?
Old 12-12-02, 09:33 PM

thats what is so unique about the situation. even though the character is cgi on screen, when they filmed the movie the actor who voiced golum wore a motion capture suit and "acted" out the characters movement and facial expressions. it is supposed to incorporate the cgi character into the movie better in terms of how the other characters interact with him. it should be pretty interesting to see how well it turned out.
Old 12-12-02, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Coral
If it isn't a real person, then it shouldn't be nominated.
It IS a real person. Andy Serkis provided the voice and motion capture of the performance. The last time I checked, Andy Serkis was a real person .

Frankly, I don't see the big deal here. We have no problem with people who are layered with makeup and costumes being nominated - what's the difference with motion captured CGI?

Performance is performance. Regardless of whether the character is computer generated, animated or in the flesh - the heart and soul and the ability to convey and move the message is what is important.

And come on folks - who here really believes Andy Serkis will actually be nominated??

-matt
Old 12-12-02, 09:59 PM

i seriously doubt its gonna happen, but if this method of CGI acting becomes a trend i wouldn't be surprised if happens in the future.
Old 12-12-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
But Wait! This could mean Jar-Jar could win his richly deserved Oscar!!!

Think about it, his character has managed to generate many varied emotions in the viewing public!
Old 12-12-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thats what is so unique about the situation. even though the character is cgi on screen, when they filmed the movie the actor who voiced golum wore a motion capture suit and "acted" out the characters movement and facial expressions. it is supposed to incorporate the cgi character into the movie better in terms of how the other characters interact with him. it should be pretty interesting to see how well it turned out.
Uhhhh.. this has already been done before. Jar Jar was done this way (except the facial expressions of course, since his face is too different from a humans.) Since Ahmed Best moves in such a weird way, it came off kind of fake looking though, which I found funny.
Old 12-13-02, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought they'd nominate the ring this time ... after all it had more screen time than everyone but the principle characters in the last one.
Old 12-13-02, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts
Old 12-13-02, 01:49 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Oh great, looks like Peter Jack$on is giving us the next "Jar-Jar Binks." I'll pass.
Old 12-13-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah but it'd be funny to see him at the Awards grab the trophy, stroke it, and say "My precious.."
Old 12-13-02, 02:35 PM
Banned

Have you guys heard what Zemekis plans to do with Polar Express. He wants it to have the first photorealistic CG actors, including a 10 year old Tom Hanks that will be modeled in the computer to look like Hanks from old photos. It should be interesting. I think they're aiming for Christmas 2004

Last edited by Pants; 12-13-02 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-13-02, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If Ian McKellen can't win an Oscar, then I don't think anyone else in LOTR should win (of course, that could change after I see TTT and ROTK).
Old 01-04-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

oh. my. god.

I saw a tv spot this past weekend touting this "thing's" perfomance as one of the best.

Has anybody else seen this.

Old 01-04-03, 08:57 AM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts
Yup... but I don't buy it...

They just need to make a new category for (CGI/Voice) Best CGI Actor, Actress as well as Supporting roles... and Director.
Old 12-05-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Goldberg74
Yup... but I don't buy it...

They just need to make a new category for (CGI/Voice) Best CGI Actor, Actress as well as Supporting roles... and Director.
Yes, because Lord knows, we need MORE categories.
Old 12-05-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmmm....I don't think so. I think people just always get caught up in the Lord-of-the-Rings-is-the-best-movie-ever-it-should-win-every-award-it's-nominated-for hype around this time. Although I hear Rudy's performance in this one *is* worthy of nomination. *shrug*
Old 12-05-03, 01:10 PM

Hmmm, this looks like it's been resurrected from days gone by.

If it didn't happen for Serkis last year, it's very unlikely to happen this year.
Old 12-05-03, 01:28 PM

doubt it'll happen, but i think it should. Serkis deserves his oscar more than Halle Barry or Denzel Washington(for Training Day)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.