Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite Movie : What and Why

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-11-02, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple question but very interesting cuz it cool to pee into the minds of fellow talkers. I have more than 1 but Ill only list one.

Unbreakable
I loved Unbreakable so much because I was able to feel its atmosphere better than any other movie I have ever seen. It was cold, dry, awkward, but very captivating because that was what M. Night wanted you to feel, he wanted everyone to have those feelings just as Bruce Willis had. When the drama set in (such as the gun scene) it was extra dramatic de to the atmosphere. Also, the twist ending was great!
Old 12-11-02, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Leon.. because it's perfect dammit.
Old 12-11-02, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Monty Python & Holy Grail"... it's the ONLY movie I can watch over and over (not in one sitting) and never tire off.

("Waiting for Guffman" is another I can view a lot)
Old 12-11-02, 11:36 AM
steak

Originally posted by atlantamoi
"Monty Python & Holy Grail"... it's the ONLY movie I can watch over and over (not in one sitting) and never tire off.

("Waiting for Guffman" is another I can view a lot)
ST2: The Wrath of Khan.

Why?

KHANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
first off....please don't pee into my mind or anywhere else near me

Favorite film? A tough call, but i'll go with:

Fargo - the atmosphere, characters, cinematography, everything about this film is perfect.

Honorable mentions -

Almost Famous (a tough call with Fargo as to which i like more)
Silence of the Lambs
Rear Window
Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner
High Fidelity (just to make it a "Top 5" )
Old 12-11-02, 12:27 PM

Favorite movie is Top Gun.

This is because when I was very young my father and I would watch it basically every Friday. We did this for a long time. He used to fast foward past the sex scene at first (that's how young I was). Then there came a point where I hid the remote on him, and got to watch some of it, until he remembered you can fast forward from the actual VCR. We continued watching it every week for so long that there came a point when he just let me watch it (without hiding the remote). I've probably seen the movie well over 200 times. I used to have the number on the side of Mavricks jet memorized.

So, you can see that this movie has big time sentimental value. It was the first movie I bought when I got a DVD player two years ago. I also got the DVD for him last Christmas. I'm just glad it's actually a good movie...

Last edited by Bechman 2000; 12-11-02 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-11-02, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed, keep your pee to yourself...

Film = 2001: A Space Odyssey. Why? Because it is the perfect film... There are no flaws.
Old 12-11-02, 12:56 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Superman

I watched this movie countless times while growing up. I have probably seen it 50 times now and it does not get old. I cherish it for both sentimental reasons and because it has everything I could ask for in a movie...

In addition, what's not to love about the title character whose motto is, "To fight for truth, justice and the American way."

Old 12-11-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Favorite Movie : What and Why

Originally posted by gmal2003
Simple question but very interesting cuz it cool to pee into the minds of fellow talkers. I have more than 1 but Ill only list one.
What a weirdo!

Old 12-11-02, 02:04 PM
Suspended

I would put Citizen Kane and The Bridge on the River Kwai near the top of my favorites list. I could watch these films any time.

As far as films made over the past twenty years, my favorite would have to be Age of Innocence.
Old 12-11-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It doesn't pay not to proofread your messages. Of course, I meant to type PEER not pee but if someone else typed that, I'd mock them as well.
Old 12-11-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Notorious - Why? Hitchcock; Cary Grant; Ingrid Bergman; the love story that is almost unsaid through the whole movie yet you know exactly what's going on; the party scene; the staircase; the near-perfect ending.
Old 12-11-02, 09:20 PM
Banned

Clay Pigeons-

Great storyline with great characters. Very simple, yet memorable movie.

"My name's not cowboy"
Old 12-11-02, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Scream

Great characters, great dialogue, great atmosphere, original in some respects, made fun of & paid homage to the horror genre, and redefined the horror genre on top of all that. Plus, it was my favorite movie going experience.

There are plenty of films that are ground-breaking, original, and true classics, but this film just works for me.
Old 12-12-02, 06:47 AM

Apocalypse Now

It's a real experience. The terrific opening draws you into the world of Willard (Martin Sheen) perfectly. From there the atmosphere continues to weave it's spell and I'm caught up in the imagery and sound. It's got everything. It's funny, scary, exciting, and confused.

I haven't seen Redux yet. I'll have to get the dvd sometime soon to compare.
Old 12-12-02, 08:48 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Miller's Crossing

I love gangster films, and it's the COMPLETE gangster film. It's three films in one! There's Miller's Crossing the gangster film, there's Miller's Crossing the homage to classic gangster films, and there's also Miller's Crossing the parody of classic gangster films.

That, and the "Danny Boy" sequence may be the most beautiful, perfect example of cinema ever made.
Old 12-12-02, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
1) Almost Famous/Untitled-Great film about music, my favorite subject aside from movies.

2) JFK-Always used to make me want to find out the truth no matter what when I was thinking of becoming a lawyer.

3) Star Wars: A New Hope-first visible memories of life are R2 and 3PO on the desert. Still my favorite genre film as a stand alone flick.

4) Lord of the Rings-I'll count all three as one film. Great story of friendship with great effects and fine acting; hard to find these days.

5) The Big Lebowski-It's the dude, man!
Old 12-12-02, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Way too many for a single favorite, but if I had to sell off my collection 1 by 1, one of the last ones on the shelf would be The Graduate. I like it on so many levels, acting, direction, soundtrack, plot, humor.
Old 12-12-02, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So many movies (over 90 years of film!) and so many genre favorites, but:

Fight Club-complimented everything I was feeling when it was released.

Silence of the Lambs-perfect film in the study of psychology, serial killers, and detective stragegy. Plus, Hannibal rules! Yes all three Hopskins Lecter movies!

Tombstone-Best acting I think I ever saw.

Dracula (1931)-THe birth of talking horror.
Old 12-12-02, 01:31 PM

Star Wars - First movie I saw in the theater. I was six years old. Played with the toys, collected the merchandise, became a huge fan. I have seen it more times than I can count. I love it.

Lord of the Rings (coutning all three as one movie) - This is coming very close to overtaking Star Wars as my favorite. I'll make that determination once I've seen the other two, which I'm sure will be great. I love fantasy of this type and they finally did one right. I just can't find anything that I did not like about The Fellowship of the Ring, and the Extended DVD is the best EVER!!!!
Old 12-12-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A title less seen:

Kicking and Screaming

I've seen this film over 100 times, and I am still picking up references that I've missed before. It appears to be a dialogue driven romantic comedy, but it's so much more. If you haven't seen it, I suggest viewing it immediately. If you have seen it and maybe didn't like it so much, then maybe give it another shot. The dynamics and relationships are tremedously deep when analyzed. I'd go on, but it's not effective if you haven't seen the movie. Someone else please tell me they've seen this and enjoy it like I do.

Alas, it's not on DVD, YET!!!!!

stoolie
Old 12-12-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
It's varied over the years (for a long while it was Apocalypse Now, which I don't even like much anymore) but I always come back to On the Waterfront as my favorite. It was probably my first non-kid favorite movie (and I still love it).
Old 12-12-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
The Goonies - I think it is the perfect movie for kids and adults, I have watched it countless times and I shall never tire of it 'til the day I die.
Old 12-12-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Agreed, keep your pee to yourself...

Film = 2001: A Space Odyssey. Why? Because it is the perfect film... There are no flaws.

I think my jaw was on the floor for the last 20 minutes of the film. I don't know if such perfection will ever be achieved again.
Old 12-12-02, 05:21 PM

Heat
#1 De Niro kicks a!@
#2 Pacino Kicks a%$
#3 Michael Mann kicks a*&
#4 Great story
#5 Bank robbery scene

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.