Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why aren't there more violent films?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-02, 08:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm talking crime-related violent flicks. The Tarantinos and Guy Ritchies..c'mon where are they? Even some Paul Verhoeven or John Woo would be nice. There's a slew of gory horror movies on the market, but that stuff is different. I'm talking loud guns, fast cars, and foul-mouthed criminals. Where is that? I want to see those kind of movies. I want more violent movies.
Old 12-04-02, 08:48 PM

Go see Equilibrium this Friday for the coolest gun- and swordfighting scenes you've seen in a long time.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/equilibrium.html

Kurt Wimmer knows his action, and delivers with this film.
Old 12-05-02, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Why aren't there more violent films?

Originally posted by lesterlong
The Tarantinos and Guy Ritchies..c'mon where are they?
Is it me or could these two Directors' be any more different from one another?

Loud guns and fast cars with plots involving foul-mouthed criminals does not a great film make, or for that matter even an interesting failure. At the end of the final credit sequence these two are still demarcated in the grand scheme of things by:

A. (An unquestioned new, creative and genuine voice on the cinematic scene regardless of whether you enjoy his films or not). (Tarantino)

B. (Flashy technical prowess combined with a interesting soundtrack and a myraid of quick cuts serving no sole purpose aside from catering to the obligatory MTV style editing fan crowd. This, combined with plot conceptions delving no deeper than the shallow end of most kiddie pools). (Richie)

Hint: Want to see a film Richie wish he could make try 'Sexy Beast'.

Last edited by meritocracy; 12-05-02 at 02:22 AM.
Old 12-05-02, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he wants simply hard core action, there hasn't been that in awhile. maybe it's a knee-jerk reaction to 911, that they don't show those type of movies anymore.
Old 12-05-02, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally posted by El Gray
Go see Equilibrium this Friday for the coolest gun- and swordfighting scenes you've seen in a long time.
Send in the clones!!!

That movie kind of looks interesting, but a lot of the scenes looked ripped straight from the Matrix. Kind of has a Minority Report look too.
Old 12-05-02, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joeydaninja
he wants simply hard core action, there hasn't been that in awhile.
The Transporter?
Old 12-05-02, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Tons of violence and gore doesn't = a good movie all the time.

that aside, Tarantinos might be gore violent, but it's more based on dialouge and situation then it is on it's violence. the Guy Ritchies, well he never was really too violent. I wouldn't call lock stock and snatch as much violent as I would call it again, a situation comedy.

Now for the gore, we go to those who are just converted. why not let Peter jackson make LOTR's more gore filled. I men come on, more gore and more violence = a good movie right.
Old 12-05-02, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Tons of violence and gore doesn't = a good movie all the time.

that aside, Tarantinos might be gore violent, but it's more based on dialouge and situation then it is on it's violence. the Guy Ritchies, well he never was really too violent. I wouldn't call lock stock and snatch as much violent as I would call it again, a situation comedy.
having that said, i'd rather watch a Guy Ritchie movie than a Tarantino movie, coz i don't want to be psychologically disturbed. i'd rather be entertained than disturbed.

but indeed, i would have preferred more gore and violence in Lord of The Rings. I think Peter Jackson held back a bit in The Fellowship of The Ring. Perhaps he was being careful. I do hope to have more magnificent battle scenes in The Two Towers.
Old 12-05-02, 10:23 AM

The poster for Equilibrium has a very strong resemblance to a poster for another film... hmm.....

Brian
Old 12-05-02, 10:31 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Man, I'd love to see a film that had nothing but people getting shot point blank in the head. Such a film would be a MASTERPIECE.

Seriously, I don't know what you are complaining about. It's not like there were a bazillion "ultra-violent crime films" made after the success of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Personally, I'm glad that Hollywood is moving on.
Old 12-05-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Man, I'd love to see a film that had nothing but people getting shot point blank in the head. Such a film would be a MASTERPIECE.
LOL
Old 12-05-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Transporter?
I think he wants a GOOD story told along with it... (I think the basic story is good actually, but the way it's told sucks...) also, I don't find that movie to be too violent anyways...
Old 12-05-02, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by joeydaninja
he wants simply hard core action, there hasn't been that in awhile. maybe it's a knee-jerk reaction to 911, that they don't show those type of movies anymore.
Exactly. The Transporter was what PG-13? I want to see more good violent action/crime movies, I want some blood and dismemberment. Equilibrium looks pretty sweet but it also looks cliched.
Old 12-05-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
road to predition maybe, a guy gets shot point blank in the head and lots of blood is seen on his face.
Old 12-05-02, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
The Matrix... "Dodge this" I love that part!
Old 12-05-02, 01:14 PM

The last gratuitously violent movie to hit theaters was 3000 Miles to Graceland
Old 12-05-02, 04:34 PM

if everyone can just un-glue the ole eyeballs from domestic films and take a look around Japan and Germany for violence, you'll find violence-a-plenty on dvd. forget the U.S., and remember how tight the grasp is on our throats. they dont want you to become a murderer or anything.....

My DVD's
Old 12-05-02, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Robert
...and it was absolutely terrible.
Old 12-05-02, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well what about ballistic ecks vs sever, that movie was rated r for strong violence.
Old 12-05-02, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Ballistic proves that Lots of violence without story makes for a terrible combination.
Old 12-05-02, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ultraviolent cinema died with Sam Peckinpah in '84.

And it's a cryin' shame. You can mention Tarantino, but even he'll admit his films are nostalgiac.
Old 12-05-02, 09:32 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Ballistic proves that Lots of violence without story makes for a terrible combination.
Word! Not to mention plot! I wonder how well it will sell when comes out on DVD on Christmas Eve?
Old 12-05-02, 09:52 PM

You think I love cannibal and zombie films for plot and story? I just wanna watch some guys head being split open. just make it look good, thats all i ask!

and oh yes, just because it's christmas, dont think i'll be watchin' Frosty. unless they gut him.

My DVD's

Last edited by gutwrencher; 12-05-02 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-05-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Dead or Alive (not Dead Alive) and Ichi: The Killer.

Battle Royale isn't gory enough.
Old 12-05-02, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw it in a store once being played. Seemed to me there was just too much violence against innocents. I don't mind seeing rival gangs or even innocents being led by a bad guy getting killed by "good guys" but seeing "bad guys" who are the "heros" of the film kill endless cops for no reason at all just gets to me. I'm not talking about something like Natural Born Killers, because I think that made a statement with it's violence. But seeing all the secuirty guards get shot in 3000 Miles just seemed too much for me... and I'm one of the people who think firefighters and cops aren't the heros society makes them out to be.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.