Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Leonardo DiCaprio - Will he have a huge comeback?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-02-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Such a great actor! Ever since he left TV's "Growing Pains," he's been a top-notch performer, earning an Oscar-nomination right out of the gate with 1993's "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" for best supporting actor (he lost to Tommy Lee Jones' role in "The Fugitive"). That same year, he was seen opposite Robert DeNiro in "This Boy's Life."

In 1997, DiCaprio won the lead in James Cameron's epic "Titanic," and his modest career took on Superstardom Status. Since then, it has been hard to match his success with "Titanic," and hasn't really been in a film that caught any respectable recognition (certainly "The Man In The Iron Mask" didn't deserve any, nor "The Beach," for that matter).

Now, Leo will star in two high-profile projects being directed by Martin Scorsese and Steven Speilberg. The latter project by Speilberg, "Catch Me If You Can," co-stars Tom Hanks as an F.B.I. agent trying to track down DiCaprio's character, who is a master of disguise at getting over as a phony. This is a true story about a con-man who managed to make people believe he was so many things, but wasn't any of them.

The Scorsese project, "The Gangs of New York," is a period piece based in early NY with the Irish immigrants. This film co-stars Cameron Diaz and Daniel Day-Lewis.

Will either film do well at the box office? Will Leonardo DiCaprio get the elusive Oscar nomination?

**Unrelated: will Martin Scorsese get the elusive Oscar for Best Director? The poor man's never won one yet!
Old 12-02-02, 02:18 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gangs of New York will not make much money, but I'm sure Catch me if you Can will.
Old 12-02-02, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's Catch me if you can about?
Old 12-02-02, 02:59 PM

I think Gangs of New York looks like a much better movie, but Catch me if you Can has more star power, and Gangs was delayed for over a year, which means it is destined to bomb like all delayed films.
Old 12-02-02, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Uh, "Titanic" was delayed for six months. I remember seeing a poster at a theater for "Titanic" - for July, 1997. It was finally released in December.

What a rare collector's item that poster must be. It was way better than the one they wound up using - it showed the ship half in the water, half out. The only words on the poster was "This Summer."
Old 12-02-02, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
Uh, "Titanic" was delayed for six months. I remember seeing a poster at a theater for "Titanic" - for July, 1997. It was finally released in December.
and we all remember how horribly that bombed.

Catch Me If You Can looks to be a flawlessly made and acted movie based one, I dunno, my intuition. Doesn't mean it will be an excellent film, but it will definitly be made as such.

Gangs of New York - well - sometimes looks interesting, other times it doesn't. I dunno. Hope it doesn't bomb though, anything this ambitious doesn't deserve to bomb, especially in a time where a horrible CG Talking Dog movie can make $150m.
Old 12-02-02, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm gonna say yes.
Old 12-02-02, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I think that Gangs of New York will bomb... i just don't hear any word of mouth about the film. I havent really heard much about Catch Me if You Can, but i think Tom Hanks alone should have more drawing power.
Old 12-02-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Leo's in two of the most anticipated films of the year (contrary to the above posts, Gangs is very much anticipated - with great word-of-mouth already forming).

But the reason is more for the directors than Leo.
Old 12-02-02, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Part of his problem is that Leonardo DiCarpio is just not that "likeable". He comes across as smug and an concieted. When I saw the Gangs Of New York trailer he had this look on his face as if he was saying "You should feel lucky you're watching one of my movies". Add to the fact that most of the movies he made after Titanic weren't very good and you can see why his career went into the tank.

Add the fact that after Titanic that he didn't do any interviews didn't help. Compare that to Tobey Maguire going on Howard Stern when Spider-Man was released. Tobey came across as a really cool guy.

I think Gangs of New York is going to tank at the box office. It just doesn't look like a film that alot of people are going to be interested in. I may be wrong but hey what do I know. Catch Me If You Can has Tom Hanks co-starring, that will carry the film a ways but I'm not sure how far.
Old 12-02-02, 08:33 PM
Banned

He might be able to make a comeback but then there might too much Leo on the big screen at once.If the two movies were coming out a few months apart maybe it would work . but for me it seems like too much Leo overkill at once.
Old 12-02-02, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
I think Gangs of New York looks like a much better movie, but Catch me if you Can has more star power, and Gangs was delayed for over a year, which means it is destined to bomb like all delayed films.
why is that? whats the correlation?

i think gangs of new york looks like a damn good movie...i dont care when it comes out.

(why was it delayed anyways)
Old 12-02-02, 09:26 PM

I believe he purposely took the time off. Both films will not strike gold at the box office but Leo will gain recognition for both parts. Do not know any buzz on catch me if you can, although with spielberg and hanks none is needed. Gangs of New York, contrary to fumastan nand atari, has had unbelievable word of mouth. It's main problems will b e length, scorsece(sp)?? wanted a 4 plus hour cut and misconception see above about the project. It will bring many oscar nominations but the early buzz is that Scorsece and Daniel Day Lewis have hit it out of the park.
Old 12-02-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by CitizenKaneRBud
Gangs of New York will not make much money, but I'm sure Catch me if you Can will.
I'd agree with this. Normally I wouldn't call either a money-maker, but you combine Leo, Tom Hanks, and Steven Speilberg and it's almost a guarantee to make good money. Plus it's got a good release date.

Gangs on the other hand, while I'm cautiously optomistic about it, just doesn't seem to have great wide appeal. Just my opinion though.

As for Leo, he hasn't had much of a career since Titanic exactly. Although The Man in the Iron Mask came out after Titanic, it was released so close to Titanic that the big boat was still dominating the box offixe. The only big movie that leo has been in since is The Beach.

Until now that is. I think he'll again be successful both with the box office (Catch Me...) and with some critical acclaim (I guess an Oscar nom is possible, but I wouldn't count on it)
Old 12-02-02, 11:09 PM

Wasn't Titanic delayed because they went back and added/improved the CGI? It seems when a movie is delayed for reasons such as political correctness, re-editing, bad test screenings, re-shoots etc., they almost always seem to bomb. Sure, the examples I could give could be written off as "those movies looked like crap anyway, thats why they bombed", but it seems to always happen to delayed films. Titanic of course, being the exception.
Old 12-03-02, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Originally posted by Lastblade
What's Catch me if you can about?
Catch the trailer right here.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/dreamw...eifyoucan.html

SPY
Old 12-03-02, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by bothanspy
Catch the trailer right here.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/dreamw...eifyoucan.html

SPY
Looks interesting, I like Hanks and Leo!
Old 12-03-02, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts
I guess it all depends on what you consider a bomb.

I'm predicting that GONY will bring in about $50-$60M at the boxoffice (domestically).

Don't know if this will be a factor, but Scorsese's highest grossing film in the US was Cape Fear at $79M, while his other films usually hover below the $50M mark.

CMIYC will probably take in $150-$200M.

That said, I'm really not anxious to see these two flims. They just don't look very good.
Old 12-03-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Coral

That said, I'm really not anxious to see these two flims. They just don't look very good.
Wow.

And I think these two movies look to be two of the best films of the year. These two, along with Two Towers and Adaptation are my most anticipated films of the year.

I've read the book CMIYC is based on and it's pretty great (it's a true story) - If the material is good, Spielberg always does a great job.
Scorsese is my favorite living director.
Spike Jonze is my favorite up-and-comer.
LOTR is shaping up to be the greatest movie trilogy ever.

It's gonna be a great December.

Last edited by slop101; 12-03-02 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-03-02, 10:45 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scorcesse is my favorite director too, but it looks to be a multimillion dollar fiasco on a subject no one is interested in. The movie will almost certainly bomb. But with a Scorcesse movie, there is always money to be made down the line.
Old 12-03-02, 11:08 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
I am so looking forward to Gangs, for many reasons, and dicaprio looks just fine in it, the real attraction for me though is the story, and Daniel Day Lewis.

Catch me if you can appears to be fun, and have a good story to it, as others have mentioned with SS and TH it's bound to do well, altough a lot of films don't generally to boffo box office at christmas. It's a more reserved time of year.
Old 12-03-02, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Gangs might have some decent publicity from critics and reviewers, but among regular movie goers, i just don't see or hear much interest.
Old 12-03-02, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
The only way GONY can make its money back is to:
1) Get some Golden Globe noms
2) Win other awards before the globes
3)Win major Golden Globe Awards including Best Picture and best Director
4) Get nominated for many major Oscars including Best Picture, Best Director, and maybe Best Adapted Screenplay.
5) Win the aforementioned categories.
6) Manage to sustain at the B.O. for over four months

What Catch Me If You Can has to do to make money:
1) Get some okay reviews
2) Get released.
That's all!
Old 12-03-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by drexel
I believe he purposely took the time off. Both films will not strike gold at the box office but Leo will gain recognition for both parts. Do not know any buzz on catch me if you can, although with spielberg and hanks none is needed. Gangs of New York, contrary to fumastan nand atari, has had unbelievable word of mouth. It's main problems will b e length, scorsece(sp)?? wanted a 4 plus hour cut and misconception see above about the project. It will bring many oscar nominations but the early buzz is that Scorsece and Daniel Day Lewis have hit it out of the park.
whats fumastan nand?
Old 12-03-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why GONY was delayed:

First reason was 9/11. Scorsese didn't want to release a movie about violence in NY so soon after 9/11, even though the film takes place almost 200 years ago.

Another reason was that Scorsese and Harvey Weinstein (head of Miramax) were butting heads on the budget and runtime of the film. Both Scorsese and DiCaprio spent a lot of their own money in exchange for %, in order to get it made how they wanted. Scorsese's original runtime was a little over 3 hours, but after almost an extra year of editing he brought it down to 2 hours and 45 minutes - and that is his own, final director's cut.

As far as word of mouth - they showed a 20 minute preview at Cannes this year and the response was phenomenal. Even the most cynical were creaming their pants over it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.