Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking for a list of well made horror/thriller movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Looking for a list of well made horror/thriller movies

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-03, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Madman - its a campers get killed movie but pretty cool.
Old 01-23-03, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by starving dvder
Some cool asian horror movies :
Ring (remake was good as well)
Ring 2
Ring 0
Dark Water
The Eye
Are all of these subtitled in english only? I don't mind movies being dubbed, but I can't stand subtitles.
Old 01-29-03, 09:05 AM

More reviews

Hellraiser II: Hellbound
I almost fell asleep during this one. I really got lost in what was going on. The plot started out being about Kristies father, and turned into some tangent plot of the take over of hell, and the "puzzle" girl saving the world. I didn't really find this entertaining, and was a little disapointed with the special effects. I thought that they rushed a bunch of things and lost some effect of suspense or something. I gave this * star.

Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh
I really enjoyed this one. I felt that they did a good job of introducing the geneology of the whole family/blood line plot in this sequel, and still kept the feel of the original. Pretty cool movie, especially for a sequel. I gave this ****

The Sixth Sense
I've seen this before, but I couldn't remember if I liked it for the life of me. I did end up enjoying this one a lot. I probably won't buy it, sense it's one of those twist ending ones, and that loses it's rewatchability. I did remember the ending while watching it, and I thought it was pretty cool to watch it a second time to analyze the whole thing knowing the truth about the characters. I gave this **** stars.
Old 01-29-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Bechman 2000
WATCHED AND WILL NOT PURCHASE
Audition * (I guess I don't like subtitled films... )
Devils Backbone **
Frailty **1/2
Wow. Those are some of my favorite recent movies. You may as well not watch The Vanishing or Kwaidan. If you didnt like Audition or The Devils Backbone youre most likely gonna hate those.
Old 02-11-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re-Animator

Looks like most of the good ones have already been mentioned. But if you like films based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft, you'll probably enjoy Dagon. And although not up to par with the original, Bride Of Re-Animator is also worth checking out.
Old 03-11-03, 08:18 AM

More reviews...

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS***

Candyman 3: Day of the Dead
Definitly not up to par with the other films in this series. Too many obscure lines from Tony Todd (Candyman) that just didn't make any sense to me. The female role (whatever her name is) wasn't all that great and didn't have too many acting skills, but she didn't ruin the movie either. I actually ended up falling asleep which means that I'll have to work up the nerve to rent it again just to see the ending. (from what I saw) **1/2 stars

The Crow
Great movie and good story. Branden Lee did a great job in this role. Pretty cool kills although I wouldn't have minded a bit more blood, but I guess it wasn't that type of movie. The soundtrack for the film is totally awesome. I caught some old school Cure in there as well as some other songs that I couldn't remember the names of the bands for. **** stars.

The Crow: City of Angels
The original prompted me to check out the first sequel and boy was I disappointed. I'm not even sure who played the crow in this one, but he didn't the part justice. The lines were to obscure and the tasteless sexual content was a tad too much. I didn't really like the villian either. It just looked like they were trying to hard with this one. ** stars

Valentine
I really enjoyed this one. It had the who-done-it feel that I liked about Scream and IKWYDLS and they did a good job of not making it just remake of one of those films. I liked the killer and the mask, and that they left it open for a sequel. The acting was up to par for an unkown cast, although nothing to rave about. **** stars

Bleed
Whoa did this one suck IMO. This also had that who-done-it feel but it was not a well made film. The characters were not convincing as far as there acting goes. There was a part where a girl was in a swimming pool just screaming and when she was done screaming it was almost like she thought the cameras were off of her at that moment and she just kind of relaxed. It was quite funny. There was an annoying echo effect of the words "Murder Club" at one point that went on a little too long and actually made my friend and I laugh harder with each one. It's become a running joke for us to just blurt "Murder Club" out of nowhere for a good laugh between the two of us. 1/2 stars

Friday the 13th Series
I've recently been aquiring this entire series on DVD and most of them have been blind buys. I think these are movies that you definitly just have to have an appreciation for the series as a whole in order to enjoy them. There are so many editing goofs and and continuity problems that unless you're just a Jason Vorhees fan, you won't enjoy these films. IMHO they are awesome, fun, and gorey films. I've enjoyed every one of them. The one I have yet to view is Part 4, which will be soon. Of course there is much to be desired from these films, but I just take them for what they are and I've enjoyed collecting all of them. **** stars

The Ring
I actually enjoyed this one very much. Despite my frustration with watching dubbed foreign films, I think I'm going to check out the original version of the film since it's so raved about here. This remake, IMO, was pretty cool. I've never seen Fear Dot Com, which some have comparted it to so I just see this as a stand alone and new plot. I liked it a lot and I thought the effects were great and the story line was good. There were some unanswered questions, but as a fan of the Friday the 13th series, I tend to leave those alone and enjoy a film for what it is. I probably won't buy this right away, or at least not until I see the Japanese version first. ***1/2 stars.

Last edited by Bechman 2000; 03-11-03 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-11-03, 10:38 AM

I forgot a couple...

Phantasm IV: Oblivion
Not very good in my opinion. There was too much "remembering" of the other films. It was as though they thought you were never going to have seen the first three, so they had to replay all the important parts of those films so that you would understand what was happening in this one. I wasn't very impressed at all, and the gore was nothing to write home about. *1/2

John Carpenters Vampires
I liked this one. I thought it was well acted and the main character for both the good and evil sides were great choices as far as casting goes. I really enjoyed this and plan on buying it soon. ****

Last edited by Bechman 2000; 03-11-03 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-19-03, 07:56 AM

More reveiws...

From Dusk Till Dawn
WHOA! That was one cool movie. I went into it totally blind. I had no idea that there were vampires involved or anything. I didn't know anything about the movie, and I think that made it a really good experience. I really liked this one... just one big vampire splatter fest!! Thanks to whoever suggested this one! ***** stars

Rosemary's Baby
Didn't like this one very much. The end was weird with everyone saying "Hail Satan". Seems like a lot of people like this one, but I just didn't find it enjoyable. *1/2 stars
Old 06-09-03, 02:16 PM

More reviews...

American Psycho
I didn't like this one at all. The kills were few and in between and there was nothing interesting to the plot. The only interesting part was when the killer called his lawyer with a full confession. The acting was poor and the story was crap. *

Army of Darkness
Although I enjoyed this final installment in the Evil Dead Trilogy, I found it to be the least entertaining out the three. Not by much though. I do like how each film is so diverse. Sam's love for The Three Stooges was obvious in this film. I bought the Broomstick edition which completed the trilogy for me. ***1/2

The Howling
I've tried watching this TWICE but I just can't sit through the whole thing without falling asleep. It's not the time of day either, so I give up on this one.

Night of the Living Dead (1968)
This was one kick butt movie. I liked all the roles as they developed and I thought the make up was great. The flow was great and the gore was pretty good considering the time period. The ending was what gave this movie an above average status. It was done brilliantly. I can imagine how overplayed that kind of ending would be done in a movie like this today. I never saw it coming. ****1/2

Nightmare on Elm Street 2
I've recently bought the box set for this series and have watched the first two so far. I really liked the second installment. The gore was pretty good and the story was good. I really enjoyed watching it, and it really made me look forward to the next one. ***1/2

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
WOW... what a cool movie. This had that eery feel that we'll never get back again. This is one of the few movies that actually freaked me out. ****1/2

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Summed up in one word... SUCKED!

John Carpenters - The Thing
What an all star cast with this one. I really thought that John did a great job with the story as far as what the original left out with the imitaition factor. The original "thing" didn't imitate it's host but was just some sort of monster. Awesome gore and a great cast put this way up there on my list. ****1/2
Old 06-09-03, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
Originally posted by joltaddict
Wow. Those are some of my favorite recent movies. You may as well not watch The Vanishing or Kwaidan. If you didnt like Audition or The Devils Backbone youre most likely gonna hate those.
Same here. This year I discovered foreign horror, and for some reason, it really appeals to me. I've liked most of what I've seen, and The Devil's Backbone is one of my favorite movies of any genre in any language.

tasha
Old 06-11-03, 10:21 AM

More reviews....

Children of the Corn
This was ok. A bit weird at the end, but what else should I have expected from a Stephen King movie. It was cool to see Linda Hamilton in something again. Probably won't buy this unless the entire series is good as a whole. ***

Breeders
Terrible movie, terrible acting, terrible plot, terrible special effects. That's all there is to say. OH.. and WAY too much nudity IMO. *

Veangence of the Dead
Low budget horror film that was actually quite interesting and somewhat surprisingly enjoyable. I would never buy it, but it was cool for what it was. *1/2
Old 06-11-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Add SEVEN and the new flick IDENTITY as excellent thrillers, if not HORROR flicks.
Old 06-27-03, 08:16 PM
Banned

I wouldn't say that I didn't like them. They just weren't really horror. I laughed so hard during the films, especially the second one, that I thought I was gonna pass out from lack of oxygen. I haven't seen Army of Darkness yet, although I plan on watching it this weekend at some point. I liked the chainsaw/hand thing though... that was pretty cool! I mean wasn't the purpose of the films to make you laugh? The amount of blood that they use is rediculous, you just have to laugh. It didn't have that "edge of your seat" that I'm looking for. The main character is soooo over dramatic it kills me. I definitly appreciate it for what it is.
I just wanted to jump in here and say that I back up Bechman's comments 1000% about the Evil Dead series! Bechman....if you're reading this, you and I must share the same chunks of brain. Because I agree completely and WHOLEHEARTEDLY about your thoughts on the Evil Dead. It is NOT scared to death type horror and is more of a comedy than anything else. I was laughing my ASS off while watching all three films. I appreciate them for what they are. But they are humor driven films. How anybody can say "I was frightened out of my wits" or "one of the scariest films ever made" is beyond me. Bruce Cambell's over the top acting just amplifies the humor aspects of the film even more. You just can't bring yourself to take either him or the ghosts seriously. They *are* a highly entertaining film though. I thought I was the only one that thought of the films this way. Thanks Bechman

The Shining was AWESOME. I'm not too keen on the full frontal nudity part, so I might not buy it, but definitly a great movie
Woah!!! We are totally on the same page here again! The Shining is one of my favorite movies of all time from ANY genre!!! It's definitely in my t0p 5 all time favorite films. Jack Nicholson's performance is what made me a fan of his.

"I'm not gonna hurt cha! I'm just gonna BAAAASH your brains in! I'm just gonna bash 'em right the ****...in"

Oh and Bechmam...just out of curiousity....why do you have a problem with nudity in film? Are you uncomfortable with your sexuality? Or is the problem deeper than that? Are you unable to look at yourself in front of a mirror totally nude? You might wanna consult a phychologist about this problem.
Old 07-01-03, 10:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Audition - I didn't even watch the whole thing. I guess I'm not really into the foreign stuff. The subtitles got annoying as well. Too slow moving and not very interesting to me. I can see why some would like, but I didn't.

I think I am in the same boat on this one as well. Vastly overrated. I usually try to hang in with a movie, but the beginning just lagged, dozed off a couple of times as well.
Old 07-01-03, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by isamu
Oh and Bechmam...just out of curiousity....why do you have a problem with nudity in film? Are you uncomfortable with your sexuality? Or is the problem deeper than that? Are you unable to look at yourself in front of a mirror totally nude? You might wanna consult a phychologist about this problem.
Actually if you check out page 3 of this thread you'll find my answer to this. Just scroll down to the middle of the page and somebody asks this same question, and I respond pretty openly. Feel free to ask something from there, but for sake of repeating myself, check that out first.

ps. I guess you haven't seen my mirrors when I'm naked in fornt of them lately
Old 07-01-03, 11:19 AM

There's nudity in "Basket Case" so you'll more than likely be offended.

Other suggestions:

"Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue"
"House by the Cemetary"
"Pieces" - truly shlocky movie but great effects.
"Squirm" - giant worms, nuff said
"Piranha" -
"Dawn of the Mummy" (VHS - try to find an uncut version, great gore flick)
Old 07-01-03, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Giles
There's nudity in "Basket Case" so you'll more than likely be offended.

Other suggestions:

"Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue"
"House by the Cemetary"
"Pieces" - truly shlocky movie but great effects.
"Squirm" - giant worms, nuff said
"Piranha" -
"Dawn of the Mummy" (VHS - try to find an uncut version, great gore flick)
Do you know the diretors of any of these? Are they available at Blockbuster or harder to find?
Old 07-01-03, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by isamu
I thought I was the only one that thought of the films this way. Thanks Bechman
Actually if I was expected to take these films seriously, I wouldn't be able to watch them in the same light. I love the series and think that the humor undertones make it what it is. After watching Army of Darkness I was certain that this series was a goldmine. I like the second installment the best because it has the best of both, serious and humor, aspects in it. But it's only ahead of the others by a small fraction. I'm glad and Sam Raimi wrote these the way he did and I love Bruce Campbells character.
Old 07-01-03, 12:24 PM

"Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue" - Jorge Grau (Anchor Bay DVD)
"House by the Cemetary" - Lucio Fulci (Anchor Bay DVD)
"Squirm" - Jeff Lieberman (forthcoming MGM DVD)
"Piranha" - Joe Dante (Image Entertainment - DVD)

"Pieces" - Juan Piquer Simón (DVD) might be hard to find, it's in a lot of bargain price DVD bins here and there.

Last edited by Giles; 07-01-03 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-01-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
[B

"Pieces" - Juan Piquer Simón (DVD) might be hard to find, it's in a lot of bargain price DVD bins here and there. [/B]
I'd like to see that movie because I heard (here on dvd talk) that it's based on a horror film I liked a lot when I was a kid called La Residencia (US names--The House that Screamed or The Finishing School.)

Imdb La Residencia: http://www.imdb.com/Title?0064888

Imdb Pieces: http://www.imdb.com/Title?0082748
Old 07-04-03, 04:30 PM

The Exorcist -The Version You've Never Seen
Below
Pitch Black
Dead Ringers
What Lies Beneath
Pet Sematary
Thinner
Urban Legend
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Old 07-07-03, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by flipn408
The Exorcist -The Version You've Never Seen
Below
Pitch Black
Dead Ringers
What Lies Beneath
Pet Sematary
Thinner
Urban Legend
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Below - Rented but never had a chance to watch
Pitch Black - Own it
Dead Ringers - Never heard of it.. going to check it out
What Lies Beneath - Watched it and liked it
Pet Sematary - Watched it and liked it
Thinner - Watched it and liked it
Urban Legend - Need to rent
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Watched it and loved it

Last edited by Bechman 2000; 07-07-03 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-07-03, 10:12 AM

More Reviews...

Stephen Kings: The Stand
I really liked this although it was VERY long. It had a great cast and the characters made everything very interesting. It was great for a single viewing, but I'm not sure if I would find the time to watch the whole thing again. If I find myself desiring another viewing I'll just go buy it, but for now the rental was fine. ****

Ginger Snaps
I've heard a lot about this movie but kept passing it by in the video store. I finally picked it up and watched it. I really liked it. I liked how the characters grew and how different the "infected" character was from the beginning of the film. Good flow and good atmostphere made this a good rental. Probably won't purchase. ***1/2

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
This is a great series in my opinion. I've heard that as the films go in order they get less entertaining... I disagree. I've enjoyed the sequels more than the original, which from what I'm hearing is rather rare. Anyway, this was a great addition to the franchise. I'm really glad that I picked up the box set.. it's becoming one of my favorite blind buys. Three more to go until I finish the series. ***1/2
Old 07-15-03, 08:38 AM

More Reviews

Zombie 3
This is my first time seeing Lucio Fulci in action and it wasn't all that bad. The story line was a bit typical and dragged on a little too much. Definity won't be buying this but it was pretty cool to get a chance to see. **1/2

Zombie 4: After Death
This was significantly worse that Zombie 3. There were just too many scenes of zombies jumping out and attacking people and almost no time where the characters were trying to figure out how to either leave the island, or reverse the doors to hell that were opened. Had it been at night I would have probably fallen asleep during this. The gore was pretty good, but was more sparse than the previous film. *

Next on my list is Lucio Fulci's original Zombie. I found a Blockbuster near me that carries it, but it was out yesterday. Those other ones kept staring at me whenever I went in to the video store so I figured, what the hay.
Old 08-13-03, 07:47 AM

More reviews

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS***

Hellraiser: Inferno
It's a popular tend to think that as this series go further down the line they get worse and worse. I guess I'm a minority here and, although they don't get better, I don't think any of the suck, at lease not of the ones I've seen so far. Inferno, revolving around the crooked cop taking a case that would introduce him the hell we know as Pinhead, was very enjoyable imo. I loved the cenobites in this one, and that atmosphere was very creepy. I'm really digging this series the more I watch it.

Final Destination 2
Pretty good sequel imo. The death scenes were pretty sick. I put the window pane kill in slow motion and noticed some significant errors. I actually noticed them in normal speed, which caused me to go back and watch it frame by frame just for confirmation. Other than that, I liked the movie and think that it makes a great sequel for the original.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.