Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking for a list of well made horror/thriller movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Looking for a list of well made horror/thriller movies

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-02, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ckolchak

i'm also a fan of Salem's Lot.
a 3 hour tv adaption of a Stephen King novel about a vampire coming to a small town.
does a good job of embellishing the major and minor characters (the way Stephen King does in his books) while leisurely unfolding the plot. some pretty spooky images too, for what would most likely be a pg-rated film.
Be careful, though. There are two versions available. The full mini series (4 hours?) and the two hour version. The two hour version is very bad (as you'd expect) But the window scene in either version can still give me nightmares.
Old 12-01-02, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Ring (2002)
Signs
Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
In the Mouth of Madness
Joy Ride
Resident Evil (mindless loud fun)
The Fog
Halloween 6 (just kidding)
Halloween 3 (I actually really really like this one, I'm NOT kidding about this!)
Old 12-01-02, 09:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new version of Excorcist with the spider walk down the stairs sent chills up and down my spine. If you`ve never seen this you gotta check it out. The Omen is definateley a classic as is Phantasm!! A few older ones to check out are:

The House on Haunted Hill
The Legend of Hell House
The Haunting(original version)
Old 12-02-02, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

oh btw...just because a horror film has monsters,killers,zombies & all that does not mean the film is 'scary' as in will make you jump out of your seat type of thing.

In fact scary horror films are pretty rare to come by. Most are only slightly scary,but a hell of alot of fun..while some are seriously scary & make you afraid of the dark & really get to you long after they end.

So for great horror/comedies....

Evil Dead 2 & Army of Darkness......you can not possibly take these serious & expect to be scared,lol!!

Dead Alive...be sure to see the unrated version or longer Euro version only.Goriest film ever made..but all played for laughs with good reason since it's so over the top.

Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight...a very gruesome wildly fun throwback to old school 70's/80's horror...& yes it has it's scary moments as well,though tongue is firmly in cheek.

CreepShow...disturbing,fun & loaded with dark humor. The Crate story is the creepiest/best part of the film.The other stories are pretty fun nontheless.

From Dusk Til Dawn...kickass exploitaion film loaded with violence/gore galore. A take no prisoner's attitude without alot of style & fun make for one hell of a great film.

The Toxic Avenger,Terror Firmer...both Troma's best films loaded with gross out gore,nudity..& just abunch of laughs if you like dark humor

Dog Soldier's...mixes action & horror with humor since it's not a film to take seriously.yet is alot of fun & thats what it was supposed to be in the first place

Return of the Living Dead...one of the greatest horror satires ever made!

Re-animotor..another gore/comedy classic.

As for serious horror films all which may or may not be scary scary..but are disturbing

Hellraiser 1 & 2

An American Werewolf in London...dark scary werewolf film with a sly sense of humor as well.

The Howling...^^^^

Ginger Snaps....best new werewolf film.A sexy lead actress,great story & some pretty sad,disturbing moments..as well as some intense/shocking ones.

The Exorcist

Psycho 1 & 2

Invasion of the Body Snatcher's original 1956 version & 1978 remake. Both the creepiest films ever made!

Basket Case..sick & twisted low budget horror classic.Gruesome & gross with very dark humor

Brain Damage...a more serious film(with abit of humor) from the director of Basket Case. A metaphor for drug addiction deliver's a depressing story with no happy ending in sight. Be sure to see the uncut version.R version is severely censored!

Black Christmas...extremely frightening film.

Return of the Living Dead 3...serious sequel which has a tragic love story at it's core.

The Beyond..wild dreamlike,surreal supernatural Italian horror film. This is Fucli's best horror film & way better than Zombie(which could be extremely boring if your expectations are to high & your not in the mood).

Nightbreed...not a scary film by any means though the studio tryed to sell that as one.The monster's in this film are not really evil & actually the good guys when compared to the hateful society portrayed in the film out to drive them into extinction. This is a really awsome epic(though heavily cut by the studio ) horror fantasy thats really imaginitve,sad.shocking,fun & wild. The apocalypic finale is amazing & chaotic.Barker's best film in my opiion.

Lord of Illusions...another Clive Barker masterpiece. This one does has some scares as well which make you jump.As well as a intersting story,alot of atmosphere & just overall sense of dread throughout.
Old 12-02-02, 08:32 AM

Wow!! Thanks guys. It's gonna take me a while to check all these out. Hopefully once I get a few more different types of horror films under my belt, I'll have more of a general interest in the genre. For right now, here is a list of what I'll be watching over the next couple months (in no particular order).

I'll be editing this list as I watch them. Grading on a five star scale.

WATCHED AND HAVE PURCHASED
Candyman ****
Evil Dead ***
Evil Dead II ****
Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness ****
Final Destination ***1/2
Final Destination 2 ***1/2
Friday the 13th 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, JGTH, Jason X
From Dusk to Dawn *****
Halloween 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Curse, H20, Resurrection
Hellraiser: Bloodline ***
Hellraiser: Inferno ***
I Know What You Did Last Summer ***1/2
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer **
Jacobs Ladder ****1/2
Nightmare on Elm Stree Series ****
Pitch Black **** (I really enjoyed this one)
Poltergeist **** (Great ghost/haunting film)
Predator ***** (One of my favorite movies)
Scream 1,2, and 3 ****
Signs ****
Wishmaster 1 ***
Wishmaster 2 ***

WATCHED AND WILL PURCHASE
Alien Box Set ****
Anatomy ***1/2
Candyman 2: Return of the Flesh ****
Candyman 3: Day of the Dead **1/2
Day of the Dead ***1/2
Dawn of the Dead ***1/2
Dead-Alive ***** (I LOVED IT!!)
Hellraiser ****
Hellraiser II: Hellbound ***
Hellraiser 3: Hell On Earth ***
Hellraiser: Hellseeker **
In the Mouth of Madness ****
Night of the Living Dead ****1/2
Phantasm ****
Return of the Living Dead ****
Ring, The ***1/2
Texas Chainsaw Massacre ****1/2
Thing, The (1982) ****1/2
Valentine ****
Vampires (John Carpenters) ****

WATCHED AND WILL NOT PURCHASE
American Psycho *
Audition * (I guess I don't like subtitled films... )
Devils Backbone (didn't even watch it due to subtitles)
Crow, The ****
Crow, The: City of Angels **
Creepshow **
Frailty **1/2
From Hell **1/2
Ghosts of Mars * (This was really dumb with terrible acting)
Ginger Snaps ***1/2
Howling, The (can't stay awake---twice)
Last House on the Left * (Worst one yet IMO!)
Omen, The **
Phantasm IV: Oblivion *1/2
Pool, The ** (Pretty cool as a rental)
Rosemary's Baby *1/2
Session 9 *1/2 (Not sure why I wasted my time)
Sixth Sense, The **** (Twist ending lowers rewatchability)
Stephen Kings: Rose Red **
Stephen Kings: Thinner *** (Great rental but won't watch again.)
Stephen Kings: The Shining *****
Stephen kings: The Stand ****
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (zero stars)
The Fog ** ( I know this is raved about, but I just didn't like it)
Wendigo ** (Cool plot, but poorly made)
Wishmaster 4 *1/2 - (The movie didn't even stay true to the legend.)

LIST OF SUGGESTIONS THAT I HAVE YET TO SEE
Alice, Sweet Alice
American Warewolf in London
April Fools Day
Asylum
Bad Taste
Basket Case
Black Christmas
Brain Damage (uncut only)
Burning, The
Cat People
Dead Ringers
Demons
Dog Soldiers
Donnie Darko
Happy Birthday to Me
Haunting, The
House on Haunted Hill
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Joy Ride
Kill by Inches
Kwaidan
Les Diabolique
Lord of Illusions
Madman
Motel Hell
My Bloody Valentine
Nosferatu
Opera
People Under the Stairs
Phantasm II
Phantasm III
Picnick in Hanging Rock
Prince of Darkness
Prowler, The
Poltergeist II
Prom Night
Ringu (Japanese version)
Re-Animator
Re-Animator 2: Bride of Re-Animator
Sleepaway Camp
Sleepaway Camp 2
Sleepaway Camp 3
Serpent and the Rainbow
Stephen Kings: Salems Lot
Stephen Kings: Storm of the Century
Terror Train
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 4
Vanishing, The (Spooloos)
Village of the Damned
Wait Until Dark
Wishmaster 3

Thanks a ton for all these suggestions. It helps to know what to start with. I didn't want to continue to rent a bunch of duds like I found with "Killer Instincts". That one didn't really interest me. I didn't even finish watching it, like I said before.

Thanks for the comments about some horror movies not having to actually "scare" you, but just be a fun movie with a spooky plot or something. I think I've come to understand and respect movies like Evil Dead I and II. I can't wait to see Army of Darkness.

By the time I finish watching all the ones on the list above, I'll definitly have a good idea of what I like and dislike in the genre.

Thanks again everyone!!

Mike

Last edited by Bechman 2000; 08-13-03 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-02-02, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mike, everyones opinion is dif, but I'd say you have a VERY good list there. A few duds IMO, but all in all very impresive. I wish my horror section looked half as good.

Good luck, and keep a night light on.
Old 12-10-02, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Gioman
No love for The Ring?
Haven't seen the remake but the original Ring (Japanese) is great.

And along that lines Audition. Not really a horror movie but it is scary and jarring in a psychological sense. Also is a japanese movie but is released in R1... Ring isn't really....yet.
Old 12-10-02, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The original Exorcist is the only movie which can still give me nightmares. That said - my next vote is The Changeling. That movie is fantastically done and much better quality than most of what's coming out today. The original Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th were okay, but anything else in those series I thought were suck. Phantasm is good. I really enjoyed the original House on Haunted Hill. The Sixth Sense was incredible.
Old 12-10-02, 03:20 PM

I saw Audition at BBV the other day as I was running some videos back. Looked pretty interesting. I've added it to the list above along with Jacobs Ladder which I bought as a blind buy. It only cost me $7.48 with my discount, so what the heck, right?
Old 12-10-02, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did you like Jacob's Ladder? I really felt ripped off in the end.
Old 12-10-02, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by elektra
The original Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th were okay, but anything else in those series I thought were suck.
I recently watched the original Nightmare and I wasn't all that impressed. Not that I liked any of the sequels either, but I heard that the first one was actually good. I thought there was too much of Freddy just jumping out and going "boo" without slashing and causing harm to victims. Freddy didn't look as scary as some of the other sequels, but as a whole it is the best one.

Now Friday the 13th... I like a lot of those. Not sure why, I think I just like the characters that don't talk. They don't want to scare you... they just want to kill you. There's no talking your way out of it (unless you pretend you're his mother... lol), and I like that. Just a psycho on a mission.

Same with the Halloween series. I liked 1, 2, 4, and 5. H2O is o.k. and Resurrection was weak. The part with the elevator in Halloween 2 was incredible. One of the best "on the edge of your seat" scenes I've ever seen.
Old 12-10-02, 03:42 PM

Haven't watched it yet. DON'T GIVE IT AWAY... lol
Old 12-10-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

D'oh! I'm very sorry. I thought you had! Talk to me after. We can commiserate, K?

Here's my deal with Friday the 13th. The first one made perfect sense. Why the killer did what they did, etc. Then, in the second movie, you have Jason, which just blows away everything that made the killer do what they did in the first movie. Which means it now makes no sense and you're going WTF - over? So, past that, unless I was trashed and didn't know what I was watching, I never bothered with the rest of the series. Too lame.
Old 12-10-02, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Bechman 2000
Haven't watched it yet. DON'T GIVE IT AWAY... lol
I liked Jacobs Ladder a lot. It's not the best movie, but it's a good movie at the very least. You should enjoy it.

Audition is weird in that for atleast the first half it seems like you are jsut watching a typical romance movie. Try to not let that make you turn it off. It is worth it in the end. That is all i will say.
Old 12-10-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
I found Jacob's Ladder to be very similar to the short story
Spoiler:
An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce.

The story in available online here:

mbhs.bergtraum.k12.ny.us/cybereng/shorts/owlcrk.html

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 12-10-02 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-10-02, 08:37 PM

If you liked childs play check out puppetmaster.
Old 12-11-02, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by drcigg
If you liked childs play check out puppetmaster.
I didn't really like Childs Play, although it's way better than any of the sequels. I've only seen the t.v. versions, so maybe I should rent it just to get a true sense of the movie.
Old 12-11-02, 07:31 AM

First off, Elktra, I'm hoping to get a chance to watch Jacobs Ladder tonight. I've got two movies that I haven't finished yet, ie. Vanilla Sky, Sleepy Hollow. My girlfriend can't handle the horror stuff, so I have to wait until after I bring her home to pop those in.

Second of all, all you guys got me all jazzed up. I wish I could just take 72 hours and watch as many of these movies as possible. I'm really looking forward to watching these, and it seems like their viewings are taking so long.

Thanks for all your help!!
Old 12-11-02, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't seen Vanilla Sky, but I did enjoy Sleepy Hollow. Looking forward to chatting with you about it.
Old 12-11-02, 08:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
"Session 9"
"Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer"

Coming soon on Region 1:
(and if you can stomach it) "In A Glass Cage"

Other region releases:
"The Brood"
"The Eye"

Sorry, but still on VHS and nonetheless recommended:
"The Reflecting Skin"
Old 12-11-02, 08:42 AM

Giles... I heard that Session 9 wasn't good at all. I guess I shouldn't really go off of all the bad things I hear. But you're the first person to suggest it.

would you rate it as a great, good, or just o.k. movie?
Old 12-11-02, 09:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I say it is good, but of course I am a huge Peter Mullan fan so, my opinion is biased towards this actor anyway.
Old 12-11-02, 09:33 AM

I haven't seen Vanilla Sky.
It's a totally awesome movie. I heard someone say that they couldn't beleive that they wasted the money to go see it, but I thought it was so cool. Even the second time. You actually need a second watching to fully understand the whole thing. It's not horror, my girfriend fell asleep during it. She's not a good late night movie watcher...

You're right sleepy hollow is pretty cool. I can't wait to finish it soon! So many movies, not enough time!!!
Old 12-11-02, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Heh! You need some time off for your DVD habit.
Old 12-11-02, 09:59 AM

Tell me about it.... two jobs doesn't leave much time, yet somehow I see at least one a day! Coffee is my best friend in the morning... lol

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.