Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What ever happened to Shaolin Soccer?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-02, 03:24 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, did I blink and miss the theatrical run? Or did they just never release it?
Old 11-20-02, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it is coming in Jan 2003
Old 11-20-02, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
APRIL 11, 2003 is the date I have seen mentioned on several sites, including this one:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/s/shaolinsoccer.php
Old 11-20-02, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
It's sitting on my shelf next to God of Cookery

(Oh c'mon, you knew that was coming.)
Old 11-21-02, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Yeah, I'd reccomend anyone wanting to see this film to get the Hong Kong R0 DVD rather than wait for Miramax's edit.
Old 11-21-02, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
isn't it called Kung-fu soccar here in the U.S?

or did mirmax decide to release it with it's original name?
Old 11-21-02, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
isn't it called Kung-fu soccar here in the U.S?

or did mirmax decide to release it with it's original name?
Last I heard, they decided to release with the original name.
Old 11-24-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They're actually planning to release this movie in the US theatre? God, I hope they don't cause this movie suck. Stephen Chow is funny but somehow I didn't find the humors in this one.
Old 11-25-02, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zuffy
They're actually planning to release this movie in the US theatre? God, I hope they don't cause this movie suck. Stephen Chow is funny but somehow I didn't find the humors in this one.

so..... because you didn't laugh, it shouldn't get released ??? Let's carry this a step further ..... I'm sure there's isn't a movie out there that someone doesn't like, so by your logic, no movies should ever get released.
Old 11-25-02, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by marty888
so..... because you didn't laugh, it shouldn't get released ??? Let's carry this a step further ..... I'm sure there's isn't a movie out there that someone doesn't like, so by your logic, no movies should ever get released.
No, this only applies to him. You see, he is Harvey Weinstein.
Old 11-25-02, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shaolin Soccer is showing here in the Philippines on December 4. I hope everybody gets to watch it and see the genius of Shaolin Chow.

I suspect they are also releasing it here, to see audience reaction and buzz. I suspect the Philippines is used a lot as a test market because of our English-speaking and American-influenced cultural backgrounds.
Old 11-25-02, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, everyone had their own opinion. Please don't tell me you never saw a movie that you didn't like and wish it was not made or release. Don't try to add words to make it sound worst.
Old 11-25-02, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by The Bus
No, this only applies to him. You see, he is Harvey Weinstein.
who's Harvey Weinstein?
Old 11-25-02, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

btw, I have seen at least 50 chinese movies that are similar to Shaolin Soccer, that's probably why I didn't find the humor in it. It's like how many Jim Carrey Ace Ventura movies can you watch before the humors are not funny anymore.
Old 11-25-02, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
who's Harvey Weinstein?
THE DEVIL!

& the head of Miramax.
Old 11-25-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'm w/ zuffy... my prediction, but don't hold me to it! , is that the movie will bomb in the US b/c it's not the type of humor americans will probably enjoy.

this is the first chow movie i saw, and i was very very unimpressed. funny moments, but overall, lame - imho.
Old 11-26-02, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, everyone had their own opinion. Please don't tell me you never saw a movie that you didn't like and wish it was not made or release. Don't try to add words to make it sound worst.

Hey, I have no problem with people expressing their opinions - it's what makes life (and these forums) interesting. And yes, there are lots of movies I don't like - but why should I care if it was made (gave some people some paychecks, at least) or if other people pay their money to see it - because, believe it or not, other people out there might even enjoy it!

However, your suggestion -
They're actually planning to release this movie in the US theatre? God, I hope they don't cause this movie suck.
- would mean that nobody else would even have the opportunity to form an opinion.
Old 11-26-02, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, I have no problem with people expressing their opinions - it's what makes life (and these forums) interesting. And yes, there are lots of movies I don't like - but why should I care if it was made (gave some people some paychecks, at least) or if other people pay their money to see it - because, believe it or not, other people out there might even enjoy it!

However, your suggestion -
They're actually planning to release this movie in the US theatre? God, I hope they don't cause this movie suck.
- would mean that nobody else would even have the opportunity to form an opinion.
Where does it say nobody else? Just because I say I hope the movie is not released in the US theatres doesn't mean there are no other outlets for someone in the US to see the movie. There are things called cable services, satellite services, movie rentals, online movie rentals, online retailers, brick and mortals, etc. that you can see this movie from so they can have an opportunity to form an opinion.
Old 11-26-02, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why do you care if the movie is released in theatres anyway? I may not like a particular film, but I'm not upset it's out in theatres. It's not like LOTR or whatever needs an extra thousand theatres. Just don't go see it.

What you did zuffy was essentially thread-crapping. You can into a thread discussing a film's release, and you post a negative opinion of the film for no good reason, with no additional information that would make your opinion helpful to anyone. If you're going to pan a film, at least say why you didn't like it, otherwise don't post at all.
Old 11-26-02, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jay G.
Why do you care if the movie is released in theatres anyway? I may not like a particular film, but I'm not upset it's out in theatres. It's not like LOTR or whatever needs an extra thousand theatres. Just don't go see it.
Geez, it's more of a figure of speech. It's not like I'm trying to do everything in my power to make sure the movie doesn't get release in the theatres. I don't have the powers to make the decision folks! Just my opinion that the movie should go directly to video.

What you did zuffy was essentially thread-crapping. You can into a thread discussing a film's release, and you post a negative opinion of the film for no good reason, with no additional information that would make your opinion helpful to anyone. If you're going to pan a film, at least say why you didn't like it, otherwise don't post at all.
No reason? I did give it a reason. I like Stephen Chow but I didn't find the humors in this one funny. The jokes was very cliche and imo, it was dragging after 20 minutes into the movie. I have seem numerous Stephen Chow movies, including TV series. I just think that this can be a better film.
Old 11-26-02, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No reason? I did give it a reason. I like Stephen Chow but I didn't find the humors in this one funny. The jokes was very cliche and imo, it was dragging after 20 minutes into the movie. I have seem numerous Stephen Chow movies, including TV series. I just think that this can be a better film.
First off, it's "Find the humor," and "the jokes were cliche." I'm assuming "seem" was a typo.

Secondly, the above paragraph gives lots more info than your original post. Saying, "I like Steven Chow, but not this film," isn't that helpful. It's like if I said, "I like Eddie Murphy, but not 'I Spy'." That line by iteslf does not tell someone how the film is different from any of his other films.

Finally, you were thread-crapping. You viewed a thread that you could tell from it's header was about a film you don't care for, and then proceeded to bad-mouth the film without backing up your statements initially. What you did is generally considered bad form and is frowned upon, as it is not conductive to a thoughtful discussion of films.
Old 02-06-03, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

APRIL 11, 2003 is the date I have seen mentioned on several sites, including this one:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/s/shaolinsoccer.php

Well, if you click on that link now, the release date is showing as August 8, 2003 ... any guess as to how many MORE times this will be re-scheduled?
Old 02-06-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great, now I can't see the movie cuz zuffy said so. Thanks zuffy!
Old 02-06-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Well, I hope it goes away and I liked the movie. I just hate that it's in the hands of Miramax MovieHack.
Old 02-06-03, 04:34 PM

Is there anyone left who wants to see this and hasn't already?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.