Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How Many Star Wars movies will there be all together?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-20-02, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard somewhere that there are going to be 3 more movies made that take place after RTOTJ... is this true? It could be a rumor, but this would make a total of 9 movies in the series!
Old 11-20-02, 09:07 AM

IIRC this thas planned at some time, but Lucas decided to end it with ROTJ.
Old 11-20-02, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Only 6 movies.. He decided that it was better that the movies were "Anakin's Story"..
Old 11-20-02, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts
Who knows?

This has changed many times since the first movie came out in 1977.

For a while "Star Wars" was to have been the first of twelve, I think.

Then it became "Episode IV" of nine. At the time, I believe the plan was that R2-D2 and C-3PO were going to be the only characters to appear in all nine films.

While ESB was being made, the plan was still to have a total of nine movies. Here's a rough breakdown (from memory):

- EP I, to deal with the origins of the Jedi Knights and Force
- EP II, adventures of young Obi Wan
- EP III, adventures of young Anakin
- EP IV, what we saw
- EP V, again, what we got
- EP VI, Luke confronts Vader, Han killed, Leai elected "queen of her people" (shades of Naboo?)
- EP VII, Luke's adventures as a Jedi
- EP VIII, Luke's twin sister is introduced (and was NOT supposed to be Leia at this time)
- EP IX, Final installment. The Emporer would make his first appearance

And apparently, episodes six through nine were collapsed into "Return of the Jedi" sometime before ROTJ came out.

The current partyline from Lucasfilm is that Star Wars is six episodes, and that it is the story of Anakin Skywalker.

However, as you can see, this is subject to change. (I remember Mark Hamill saying that George told him that Luke would be back as an old Jedi Master in the "sequel" trilogy, so it seems that GL had at least something in mind when he "finished" the story in ROTJ.)

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 11-20-02 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-20-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only one thing's for sure - there will definitely be more than 6.

They may not all be in the same storyline continuity. But Lucasfilm won't let the "holy" franchise die after the release of "Episode III". No way. No how.

There may be storylines veering off in the Star Wars universe with a whole new gang of rebel/jedis. Anything to keep the cash-cow afloat.

Besides - if you count Ewok movies (which did receive theatrical release overseas), you're already over 6.

Old 11-20-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lucas originally said 9 (most famously in the 1980's Time Magazine story that described the whole series):

http://www.theforce.net/episode2/newspics/Time_SW.jpg

Ever since 1997 or so, he has said that there will be only 6 -- with the focus on Anakin.

So, don't expect any others after Episode III. At least until he dies and his kids need some extra bucks.
Old 11-20-02, 10:27 AM

lucas has stated time and time again there WILL be ONLY 6.... any ideas GL had about 7,8, or 9 were not enough to fill entire movies and all the ideas were rolled into ROTJ

however, it is my understanding that FOX still owns the movie rights to star wars, not lucas ( although lucas does own the merchandise rights) .... if this is the case i would feel confident saying that there will be more movies following the the completion of EP3

GL may not have anything to do with them , they may even wait till after he is dead, but the star wras franchise has been to successful to let go. look to star trek as an example ..... it predates star wars and while it hasnt brought in the same amount of money it has now spawned 10 motion pictures.

when lucas retires/dies star wars will continue either on tv or movies .... but it will continue..... most likely following the storylines of many of the novels set after ROTJ
Old 11-20-02, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I think he should do a Han Solo movie. If he can find a young Harrison Ford type the rest of the established characters (Chewie, Jabba, Boba Fett) are either costumes or CGI creations. It could take place in the star wars universe, have tie fighters and star destroyers, and could take us to places like Kessel and Correlia.
Old 11-20-02, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree it's six now, from what he says. But he's changed his story countless times. (Does anyone really believe that the original Star Wars was to be the first of three? Let alone, the middle part of a nine-part series, or the fourth installment of 6??)

I'd bet he does no more than 6, but sometime later, more will be released; hopefully 7-9.
Old 11-20-02, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts
i wish they filmed Splinter of the Minds Eye..
Old 11-20-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

After Indy 4, I think we'll find out what Lucas' intentions are. He might have the stories written down to take place after ROTJ, but might just had them over to someone else to write a screen play and direct.

I would like to see Shadows of the Empire done.
Old 11-20-02, 12:35 PM

When I read the question, I first thought I could answer 3 movies too many.
But then I reconsidered and felt like it could be interpreted as threadcraping this topic. So I won't actually say it.

But I'm part of that small group of sceptics who don't believe Lucas and Fox will keep the promise and stop after the first 6 movies. Although they could stay with those 6 and reissue them with new features from time to time like the special edition.

With the fanbase they still got, I figured they could reissue it dozens of time and still sell them.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-20-02, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by THORN
it is my understanding that FOX still owns the movie rights to star wars, not lucas
As far as I'm aware, Lucas owns all rights associated with Star Wars - as evidenced by him financing the original sequels himself and shopping around distribution rights to the prequels (briefly considering DreamWorks as a favour to buddy Steve, I believe).
Old 11-20-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh
While that could be very cool (episode 5.5?), I'd rather have new adventures with new characters rather than see "other" actors playing Luke, Leia and Han.
Old 11-20-02, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by GuessWho
While that could be very cool (episode 5.5?), I'd rather have new adventures with new characters rather than see "other" actors playing Luke, Leia and Han.
I agree, Shadows as a live action flick would be pretty rough. I was thinking more along the lines of an animated, or CGI version and having the original actors doing the voice overs. Since Solo is in carbonite, getting Ford to do it wouldnt be a problem. I think that would be the best way of presenting Shadows if they ever decided to release it.
Old 11-20-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While there's a plethora of stories from the universe, I'm diggin the idea of the movies being Anakin's story. It makes good sense.
Old 11-20-02, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh
Man, out of all the Star Wars novels out there you picked what has to be my least favorite one, aside from the Bounty Hunter Trilogy... of which I only read 2 chapters of the 1st book, and then couldn't go on. I had a really hard time reading Shadows, and I didn't feel that it fit in with what we see in Empire and RotJ. If they continue on with more movies, and if they base them from novels I think it should defintely be the Zahn Trilogy, and if not, then the Jedi Academy or Corellian Trilogies. And I also agree with the Splinter of the Mind's Eye idea, as that is perhaps my favorite Star Wars novel.

-CM-
Old 11-20-02, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I was thinking that even in Episode 1 we were seeing the end of the Jedi. Their use of the Forces from the start was limited. I think we may see some "pre-history" movies. Back when the Jedi were were wise gunslingers, delivering justice to far corners of the galaxy.
Old 11-20-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by pixyboi
Only 6 movies.. He decided that it was better that the movies were "Anakin's Story"..
Thats what I heard.
Old 11-20-02, 03:17 PM
Banned

Did you guys ever think that Lucas could remake the original 3 Star Wars movies with new actors.Imagine this.
Old 11-20-02, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why would he do that?
Old 11-20-02, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by k-qwick
Did you guys ever think that Lucas could remake the original 3 Star Wars movies with new actors.Imagine this.
To be honest, I think Lucas is going to be so f-ing sick of Star Wars by 2005 or so that he will be extremely happy to move on.

He's already got more money than he'll ever be able to spend. And he can continue to let his "company" make Star Wars novels, toys, cartoons, whatever. Why bother wasting any more time making SW movies? Or -- dear God -- remaking them?

The guy's probably going to be making historical documentaries and art films afterwards... stuff that 10 people will watch.
Old 11-20-02, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let's be honest. Lucas barely had any ideas for Return of the Jedi, anyway, let alone beyond it. ROTJ is practically a remake of Star Wars (4) and completely ripped off its climax (a second Deathstar?!). Only the Luke/Vader subplot really made the film. Considering he didn't even write Empire and he's basing the prequels on his notes (only a couple pages) for the back story of the first Star Wars movie, it might be a bit much to ask him to make the sequel trilogy. Don't let him fool you. He's been saying the same line for years. Star Wars was not conceived as the 4th part of a bigger movie. Star Wars was the story he wanted to tell. The sequels incorporated elements jetisoned from the original treatment, but were otherwise made up as they went along.
Don't get me wrong. I love Star Wars. I'm 33 years old and can't think of many things from my childhood that still has as much relevence in my life, but I harbor no illusions. Star Wars is a fine entertainment but it isn't much deeper than its surface.