DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Favorite Western? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/251932-favorite-western.html)

Tyler_Durden 11-20-02 09:21 AM

Originally posted by CitizenKaneRBud
Robert Altman's McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Yes, this is a magnificent work of art; one of my favorite films. It's also, in my opinion, better than my pick for the best western, Once Upon A Time In The West, because I think of McCabe as an anti-western of sorts.

kantboy 11-20-02 12:23 PM

My favorite is Yojimbo.

Others I like:

Stagecoach
The Searchers
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Once upon a time in the west

badger1997 11-20-02 04:34 PM

I may be the only one, but I am very fond of Rio Bravo.

Other than that one, I also love the following:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Support Your Local Sheriff
High Noon
Tombstone
My Darling Clementine
Unforgiven
Blazing Saddles :)

Nick Danger 11-20-02 07:44 PM

I also like Rio Bravo, but it doesn't quite qualify as one of my greats.

Unforgiven
Once Upon a Time in the West
Searchers
Wild Bunch
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Ballad of Cable Hogue (just because it's so weird)

Good ones that haven't been mentioned so far include The Silver Fox and Jeremiah Johnson.

El Topo doesn't count as a western. :p

flixtime 11-21-02 10:23 AM

As a big fan of the Western genre, it's really, really difficult for me to pick just one favorite, but since that's what DVDTalker Geofferson was looking for, I'll give it a shot:

They Died With Their Boots On (Errol Flynn)

edging out The Alamo with Wayne, Widmark, and Harvey

In addition to the classics (Spaghetti trilogy, Josey Wales, Magnificent Seven, Red River, Searchers, Wayne/Ford cavalry trilogy, etc.) some others I very much enjoy:

John Wayne's (these 5 have very high replay value for me, more so than some of Wayne's more highly regarded films (which I also like):
Sons of Katie Elder
The Cowboys
Big Jake
The Comancheros
The Horse Soldiers

Last Train from Gun Hill (Kirk Douglas/Anthony Quinn)
Major Dundee (Charlton Heston/Richard Harris)
Day of the Evil Gun (Glenn Ford/Arthur Kennedy)
Duel at Diablo (James Garner/Sidney Poitier)
Ulzana's Raid (Burt Lancaster)
Western Union (Randolph Scott/Robert "Father Knows Best" Young)
The Professionals (Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Woody Strode, and Robert Ryan)
Legends of the Fall - does this count as a Western? (Brad Pitt, Anthony Hopkins, Aidan Quinn)

The Big Country and Vera Cruz which have already been mentioned.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some more favorites but that's all I can think of right now.

Apologies to the Jimmy Stewart/Anthony Mann, and Randolph Scott/Budd Boetticher group of Westerns which I haven't seen recently enough to comment on. I have no doubt that quite a few of them would land on my list as well.

I prefer many of the above over the more frequently named Top 25 (no I don't have a list, just giving a rough estimate, though I did have a top 15 list) classics.

swamptours 11-21-02 10:25 AM

Tough call on this one. There are so many great Westerns to choose from. I would say The Wild Bunch first with Rio Bravo, Red River, Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in the West, Fistful of Dollars, Outlaw Josey Wales, Ride the High Country, and many more as close behind The Wild Bunch.

jim_cook87 11-21-02 11:31 AM

My favorite, without a doubt, is Big Jake. But I haven't seen one mentioned that I don't like. Now if they'd just get Big Jake on DVD...

lizard 11-21-02 01:17 PM

My favorite by a wide margin is Quigley Down Under. But then I have an 1874 Sharps (replica) so I am biased.

Also, I really like Support Your Local Sheriff and many of the other titles mentioned above.

funkyryno 11-21-02 04:39 PM

High Noon (1952)
Unforgiven
Tombstone
Pale Rider

mytzplyx 11-21-02 08:59 PM

"I'll be ya Huckleberry"

Mountain Biker 11-22-02 12:43 AM

I love Westerns. My favorites:

Tombstone
Young Guns
High Plains Drifter
For a Few Dollars More
The Legend of the Lone Ranger
Silverado
The Long Riders
The Wild Bunch
Pale Rider
The Outlaw Josey Wales

Rand 11-22-02 08:12 AM

Well there are quite a few great westerns and it's a favorite genre of mine. But if I had to name one, and I'm excluding Lonesome Dove since it's not a film, it would have to be The Searchers.

Geofferson 11-22-02 10:09 AM

Originally posted by Mountain Biker
The Long Riders

I forgot about this one. Indeed a great Western. :up:

JesseCuster 11-22-02 11:01 PM

My picks:

1. The Wild Bunch
2. The Outlaw Josey Wales
3. The Searchers
4. Red River
5. The Magnificent Seven
6. Unforgiven
7. Rio Bravo
8. McCabe and Mrs. Miller
9. Lonesome Dove
10. The Shootist

Duckie 11-22-02 11:45 PM

I've never been a huge western fan, but of what I've seen I'd have to list Corbucci's Navajo Joe and Great Silence as special favorites. Decent story-telling with an anti-western bite... that with the Morricone scores, scenery and well, just the cheesy fun of watching a young Burt Reynolds in one and Klaus Kinski in the other made these more enjoyable than most for me.

Doctor Gonzo 11-23-02 03:48 PM

My favorite? The Cowboys!

Also, in no particular order...

The Alamo, The Long Riders, The Searchers, Silverado, Outlaw Josey Wales, The Magnificent Seven, Dances With wolves, Unforgiven

And many others....

Gdrlv 12-16-02 01:35 PM

High Plains Drifter
Tombstone

I was actually going to start this thread myself. I haven't seen a ton of westerns and would like to change that...

grunter 12-16-02 03:52 PM

Probably the closest I come to the whole "western" genre is "Dead Man."

No, wait - if "Dances With Wolves" counts, I have that too.

As a whole, the genre simply never interested me.

flixtime 01-15-03 06:55 PM

Anyone else planning to check out the latest TNT Western Monte Walsh starring Tom Selleck? It premieres this coming Friday (Jan. 17) evening with re-broadcasts on both Saturday and Sundays nights (and probably many times after that too). I'm guessing it is a loose remake of the earlier 1970's version which starred Lee Marvin.

TNT's original Westerns are a bit hit and miss with me, but I do very much appreciate their efforts and service to Western fans. Speaking as a fan of the old Westerns, I feel their product is generally better than the theatrical Westerns being released by Hollywood. Tom Selleck and Sam Elliot are naturals at playing cowboys; I'd like to see them both (throw in Chris Cooper too) in a big-budget theatrical Western someday (though I realize that there is almost 0% chance of that happening).

EDITED TO ADD: TNT is also airing alot of their earlier made-for-TV Westerns (Crossfire Trail, Conagher, etc.) over the next few days. Personally, I'd give a big thumbs up to their film Purgatory (also airing along with the others).

Also, The Tin Star (1957) is airing on the cable channel A&E this coming Saturday (Jan. 18) from 7am-9am (EST). It's a pretty good High Noon-style Western starring Anthony Perkins and Henry Fonda; it was directed by Anthony Mann who directed quite a few fine Western films (many starring Jimmy Stewart). The film is not yet available on DVD, so despite having to deal with commercials on A&E, it might be a good chance for some of you to check it out.

TCG 01-15-03 07:10 PM

Unforgiven
The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

cultshock 01-15-03 07:28 PM

I prefer the Eurowesterns myself:

All the Sergio Leone ones (still waiting for Once Upon a Time.... DVD!)
The Great Silence
Django
Bullet for the General
Sabata

And I think of El Topo as almost a western myself.

ckolchak 01-16-03 12:03 AM

The Professionals
My Darling Clementine
The Searchers
McCabe & Mrs Miller
Lawman
Wanda Nevada

Gwindor 01-16-03 06:09 AM

The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly
Unforgiven
Butch Cassidy & Sundance Kid

Geofferson 01-16-03 11:26 AM

Originally posted by flixtime
Anyone else planning to check out the latest TNT Western Monte Walsh starring Tom Selleck? It premieres this coming Friday (Jan. 17) evening with re-broadcasts on both Saturday and Sundays nights (and probably many times after that too). I'm guessing it is a loose remake of the earlier 1970's version which starred Lee Marvin.

TNT's original Westerns are a bit hit and miss with me, but I do very much appreciate their efforts and service to Western fans. Speaking as a fan of the old Westerns, I feel their product is generally better than the theatrical Westerns being released by Hollywood. Tom Selleck and Sam Elliot are naturals at playing cowboys; I'd like to see them both (throw in Chris Cooper too) in a big-budget theatrical Western someday (though I realize that there is almost 0% chance of that happening).

EDITED TO ADD: TNT is also airing alot of their earlier made-for-TV Westerns (Crossfire Trail, Conagher, etc.) over the next few days. Personally, I'd give a big thumbs up to their film Purgatory (also airing along with the others).

Yeah, Monte Walsh looks pretty good. I plan on watching it Friday night.

BTW, Purgatory was a great movie! One of the best TNT Westerns I've seen. :up:

d2cheer 01-16-03 01:43 PM

The Wild Bunch
Tombstone
Silverado
Once Upon a Time In the West
The Long Riders
The Quick and the Dead(Sam Elliott version)