Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Should Lucas have made the new STAR WARS Prequels?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Should Lucas have made the new STAR WARS Prequels?
No, he should have stopped with the Classic Trilogy
53.85%
Yes, they are worthy additions to the series
32.69%
I'll decide after Episode III
13.46%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Should Lucas have made the new STAR WARS Prequels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-02, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPM and AOTC are both better films than Jedi. I am glad the prequils are being made as I enjoy not only the story, but also the visuals.
Old 11-27-02, 07:44 AM

Re: Should Lucas have made the new STAR WARS Prequels?

Originally posted by Faramir
Are you glad these prequels were made?
Overall yes.

The funny thing, is many Fans complain about things that were present in the OT as well, but are ignored for the old movies.
I.e. People complain about JarJar, but ignore the Ewoks in RotJ
Old 11-27-02, 08:15 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would still love for George to give the OK for somebody to make the Zahn Trilogy into movies, continuing the storylines of Luke, Leia and Han. However, unless you get the original actors to reprise their roles (which I don't see them doing) most people would not like new actors taking their places and thus it probably would not get done. That and I don't think another Star Wars movie will come out unless Lucas does it himself.
Old 12-31-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's the new video review from genius Harry Plinkett on Star Wars Revenge of the Sith. It runs about an hour and a half, and I really wish it was longer: http://www.redlettermedia.com/

I really have no understanding how anyone can like these prequel movies after watching his in-depth reviews of all the prequels. It's okay if you don't like his type of humor, but his negative analysis of the prequels is pretty serious and is hard to argue against. I don't know how anyone can disagree with his analysis. If so, I'm curious to see how anyone can come back at any of his comments. I used to somewhat like the prequels, but after watching his video reviews and trying to rewatch these films, it's hard to like them with all their faults.

And as I read comments from above, written in 2002, it's like I just entered some forum of some weird cult group, such as "TPM and AOTC are both better films than Jedi. I am glad the prequils are being made as I enjoy not only the story, but also the visuals." Where am I - the Twilight Zone? I really hope people's positive opinions about these films have changed to negative views now that a lot has time has passed and the hype is over.

Last edited by toddly6666; 12-31-10 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-31-10, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course it would be pretty easy to tear the first 3 movies apart as well but its the 'in thing' to rip into the prequels but those are the 'holy trinity'.

BTW: This has to set a record for a thread bump. 8 years.
Old 12-31-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugh. I'm so tired of hearing why people hate the prequels. Who cares.
Old 12-31-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Of course it would be pretty easy to tear the first 3 movies apart as well but its the 'in thing' to rip into the prequels but those are the 'holy trinity'.

BTW: This has to set a record for a thread bump. 8 years.
Damn this thread is older than shit. I never knew it even existed although I became a member of this forum years ago.
Old 12-31-10, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DarthVong
Ugh. I'm so tired of hearing why people hate the prequels. Who cares.
Of course you are going to say "who cares." Your name is Darth Vong!
Old 12-31-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Of course you are going to say "who cares." Your name is Darth Vong!
LOL! Just because I chose a SW handle doesn't mean I live and breath SW films. It's just an old topic/discussion. I think TPM sucks, but oh well it's over and done with. Fanboys bitching about coulda/shoulda/woulda about the PT is as old as Yoda.

For the record, I don't feel that Lucas raped my childhood either.
Old 12-31-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Nope. POLIO raped your childhood.
Old 12-31-10, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Nope. POLIO raped your childhood.
That's right and Fred Polio did time for that stunt too the sick fuck.
Old 12-31-10, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LOL! Just because I chose a SW handle doesn't mean I live and breath SW films. It's just an old topic/discussion. I think TPM sucks, but oh well it's over and done with. Fanboys bitching about coulda/shoulda/woulda about the PT is as old as Yoda.

Did u watch all of harry plinkett's reviews of the prequels. If so what do u think? Do you think he's wrong about a lot of his analysis ?
Old 12-31-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure there are a number of nitpicks, but where the reviews have the most impact is how they explain where Lucas went wrong in execution. Things like the non-reactions to things by actors because of the crappy and late scripts combined with terrible direction or how he basically used two shots, the A-Reverse B angles throughout most of the movies.

Even things that you would think are a fault of greenscreen sets, like limited running space are because of Lucas' use seeing as how other directors don't have those issues.
Old 12-31-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is A-Reverse B angles even a vailid bitch point? EVERY movie/TV show uses it. Besides Plinkett, does anyone really put any thought into it somehow detracting from a movie? Also the 'moving camera while characters walk' seems to be used in a whole lot of movies/shows besides Star Wars. I've noticed multiple times in all of Plinkett's reviews that he gets facts wrong about the movies being reviewed. Most of the time these 'mistakes' are leading up to some joke.
Old 12-31-10, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did u watch all of harry plinkett's reviews of the prequels. If so what do u think? Do you think he's wrong about a lot of his analysis ?
Nope I didn't because I rarely read movie reviews and I sure don't "watch" movie reviews. I can form my own opinion on what films I enjoy.

But I have to ask how bored this plinkett dude is to review a film that's been around for 5 years. How is it relevant at this point?

Like my original statement. It's old...move on already.
Old 01-01-11, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Is A-Reverse B angles even a vailid bitch point? EVERY movie/TV show uses it. Besides Plinkett, does anyone really put any thought into it somehow detracting from a movie? Also the 'moving camera while characters walk' seems to be used in a whole lot of movies/shows besides Star Wars. I've noticed multiple times in all of Plinkett's reviews that he gets facts wrong about the movies being reviewed. Most of the time these 'mistakes' are leading up to some joke.
It's not the use of them, it's frequency that's the problem. You don't notice it as you're watching the movies unless you are actively looking for it but it helps to explain why the dialog scenes are so bland and boring.
Old 01-01-11, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't think they are necessarily worthy additions to the series. I mean, they are not that much different than A NEW HOPE or RETURN, but they were very disappointing to what I had hoped Darth Vader's origin story was going to be like.

That said, I'm glad they were made because without them I don't think we would have THE FORCE UNLEASHED, which to me, was probably as close to an awesome Star Wars prequel as we're going to get.

I'm glad he atleast tried to do the best he felt he could do for the prequel trilogy.
Old 01-01-11, 04:31 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so wait....your reason for it's existence is a video game..that..wasn't great and therefore needs to exist for that reason if at least as an act of propulsion for it's existence? What?

That game hasn't changed the field of gaming in any form and won't in any strong fashion. Much like MOST of the SW games.

Trying doesn't mean shit if he still fails to make quality movies and yet reap many of the financial successes that good movies should get.

Hell I'm not even a big SW fan but I know a good movie when I see it, and regardless of my opinion of it's entertainment value to me...I can still tell if a shiny turd is still a turd.
Old 01-01-11, 08:17 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
You don't notice it as you're watching the movies unless you are actively looking for it
And why would you be actively looking for mistakes/inconsistencies and making some 90 minute rant about it? Only thing missing was the spitting froth. Seems to me a person like that really had no business watching the damned thing in the first place and it makes me wonder why he even bothered. Me, I judge a movie by its overall entertainment value, and I must say that my wife and I were both enormously entertained by all 6 Star Wars movies. If you spend all your time picking movies apart, what's the point of even watching them? Go do something else fer cryin' out loud... -kd5-
Old 01-01-11, 09:07 AM
Banned

I wish he hadn't...but I pretty much just disregard them as much as possible. I don't own any of the prequels or the cartoon series, and have zero interest in the live-action TV series that's supposedly forthcoming.

I try to enjoy the OT for what it is: a great series of escapist films that came out in my teenage years (ROTJ, third of the original trilogy, was released in '83, and I was 19). They continue to be well-loved in my household, but I cannot stomach any of the other films/shows.

And before anyone touts the quality writing of the cartoon, I have to say that it's the art that keeps me away from that show. Hate the art style. Can't/won't watch that.

But, I'm still just as happy with the OT as I've ever been, so long as I continue to ignore the tarnish Lucas keeps applying to his works by furthering a story that should have ended over 25 years ago.

George Lucas didn't rape my childhood...because I refuse to let him.
Old 01-01-11, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm reading Alec Guinness's final journal, A Positively Final Appearance, and I don't think anyone has hated Star Wars like him. I was familiar with how he resented only being recognized as Obi-Wan Kenobi after decades of theater and film work, of course. And I've read his autobiography and this journal's predecessor, and he makes some remarks in each of those about not caring to really discuss the thing.

But by the time of this journal, the THX VHS release and the special editions had stirred up a lot of fervor so it was all fresh on his mind. From page 11:

A refurbished Star Wars is on somewhere or everywhere. I have no intention of revisiting any galaxy. I shrivel inside each time it is mentioned. Twenty years ago, when the film was first shown, it had a freshness, also a sense of moral good and fun. Then I began to be uneasy at the influence it might be having. The first bad penny dropped in San Francisco when a sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen Star Wars over a hundred times. His elegant mother nodded with approval. Looking into the boy's eyes I thought I detected little star-shells of madness beginning to form and I guessed that one day they would explode.

'I would love you to do something for me,' I said.

'Anything! Anything!' the boy said rapturously.

'You won't like what I'm going to ask you to do,' I said.

'Anything, sir, anything!'

'Well,' I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?'

He burst into tears. His mother drew herself up to an immense height. 'What a dreadful thing to say to a child!' she barked, and dragged the poor kid away. Maybe she was right but I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities.
Old 01-01-11, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Yeah I watched the review yesterday - his attempts at comedy aside, I've thoroughly enjoyed them. For the most part, they are about the film making, not story. The films have a story, the problems are the structure and how they were made. It actually made me watch most of Empire yesterday - just scene after scene of memorable moments.

He did fall into making too many SW universe criticisms this time though, some I felt were easily explainable - for example one being the clones being stormtoopers - I think it's been assumed they did draft at some point, giving us both clones and real people as the troopers in the OT.

Also he spent too much time over analyzing the opening rescue scene, the problems were not the specifics of it, just some film making decisions. I found it to be the closest the PT came to anything resembling the OT. The Han Solo rescue from Jedi didn't make a lot of sense if you really thought about it, it was just a fun, old fashioned rescue opening.

I look at the prequels as live action cartoons, they're just a different take on the universe alongside the actual clone wars cartoons. I don't hate them, don't mind putting them alongside the OT. And I do look forward to revisiting them on Blu-Ray. That said, for all of Lucas' railing against the studio system, these felt like they were made by a big studio. Other than unintentionally breaking every fundamental rule of film making, he took no chances with the story or anything.

Last edited by Artman; 01-01-11 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-01-11, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's the new video review from genius Harry Plinkett on Star Wars Revenge of the Sith. It runs about an hour and a half, and I really wish it was longer: http://www.redlettermedia.com/

I really have no understanding how anyone can like these prequel movies after watching his in-depth reviews of all the prequels. It's okay if you don't like his type of humor, but his negative analysis of the prequels is pretty serious and is hard to argue against. I don't know how anyone can disagree with his analysis. If so, I'm curious to see how anyone can come back at any of his comments. I used to somewhat like the prequels, but after watching his video reviews and trying to rewatch these films, it's hard to like them with all their faults.

And as I read comments from above, written in 2002, it's like I just entered some forum of some weird cult group, such as "TPM and AOTC are both better films than Jedi. I am glad the prequils are being made as I enjoy not only the story, but also the visuals." Where am I - the Twilight Zone? I really hope people's positive opinions about these films have changed to negative views now that a lot has time has passed and the hype is over.
I wrote that. You are not in the twilight zone. I still enjoy watching all 6 of the star wars movies with my nephew. You should try forming your own opinion rather then letting some dipshit who hates the movies make one for you.

"Oh boy, someone nit picked the movies, now I can't enjoy them anymore". What a sorry life you must have. Happy New Year. I hope someone you meet doesn't have a negative opinion of 2010, it may sway your own personal memories of this past year.
Old 01-01-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by huh?
I wrote that. You are not in the twilight zone. I still enjoy watching all 6 of the star wars movies with my nephew. You should try forming your own opinion rather then letting some dipshit who hates the movies make one for you.

"Oh boy, someone nit picked the movies, now I can't enjoy them anymore". What a sorry life you must have. Happy New Year. I hope someone you meet doesn't have a negative opinion of 2010, it may sway your own personal memories of this past year.
At first I thought this was a bit out of line, so I looked back for the post to which this responded. It opens with:

I really have no understanding how anyone can like these prequel movies after watching his in-depth reviews of all the prequels.
and concludes with:

I really hope people's positive opinions about these films have changed to negative views now that a lot has time has passed and the hype is over.
Seriously? I think that actively wanting one ranting person's 90 minute video to adversely affect the enjoyment that people have of some movies is...crazy, to be honest. Maybe crazier than recording the 90 minute rant in the first place.
Old 01-01-11, 11:27 AM

I have the memories of watching the OT in their original forms multiple times as a kid in the theater and on VHS. Those memories are enough for me. I think the prequels are pretty much shit but they don't make me dislike the OT any. I will never own any Star Wars dvds/blu-ray until I can watch RotJ Jedi Rocks free.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.