Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

why does everybody here hate titanic?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i watched the first part last night (sorry only have mar vhs), this is indeed a great movie, better than i remeber. the cinimetography is amazing and whats also good is that the story unlike many other disaster type films where you know what happens over all is that it isnt borring. also the cgi looks very real and it looks like most of the movie was indeed sets and beautiful costumes. plus the performaces are top notch, yes even leo.
Old 11-18-02, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I thought it was decent at best. Not deserving of so many Oscars IMO. I'm not going to complain about the money it made because well even though I didn't like it, its quite obvious a lot of people did.
Old 11-18-02, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"...the inertia of my life and the people in it..."

"You jump, I jump."

Old 11-18-02, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i think it did deserve most if not all of the oscars as the majority of them were for special effects and sound. although i cant stand that celine dion song.
Old 11-18-02, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sets, the cinematography, the realism of the period and recreation of the Titanic were awesome, as were the special effects. However, Leonardo DiCaprio's acting in it was horrendous, and I hated the love story as a whole. I didn't even find it believeable that they were so "in love." If the got back to land, do you think he would have still been into Rose? Hardly.
Old 11-18-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really enjoyed Titanic. I don't know why some people seem to hate it.
Old 11-18-02, 04:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I thought the film was great, until I saw that it was making big money and getting critical acclaim. Since it is very important to me to appear "above the masses" on internet message boards, I learned to hate it instead.
The following users liked this post:
story (10-16-21)
Old 11-18-02, 04:14 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
The story is formulaic, the dialogue is cheesy, and the acting is truly awful. All the set design and cinematography in the world won't save a film that is so deficient in the basic narrative elements. Also, it's way, way, way too long.
Old 11-18-02, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mookiemeister
I really enjoyed Titanic. I don't know why some people seem to hate it.
Same Here I especially love that Kate Winslet nude scene Classic!
Old 11-18-02, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not me. I love that movie. And I'm still waiting on Cameron to come out with an SE DVD for it.
Old 11-18-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

how can the acting be bad if 2 got nominated for oscars.
Old 11-18-02, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
how can the acting be bad if 2 got nominated for oscars.
My assumption is that you're serious in asking this question. My initial response is, you can't be serious, can you?

Academy Awards and nominations have no basis in film quality. Awards and nominations are regularly handed out primarily to films that make the Hollywood establishment feel good about itself. This tendency has gotten worse in recent years (decades) but it has always been this way.

Orson Welles never won an Oscar for direction. Alfred Hitchcock never won an Oscar for direction. Martin Scorsese has never won an Oscar for direction. Both Kevin Costner and Ron Howard have won Oscars for direction.

I know we're talking about acting, but I'm not that interested in acting and also I'm more familiar with the best direction awards, which is why I used them to argue my point.
Old 11-18-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I thought the film was great, until I saw that it was making big money and getting critical acclaim. Since it is very important to me to appear "above the masses" on internet message boards, I learned to hate it instead.
Amen! Any self-respecting film lover should hate all movies that make over $1 million at the box office, aren’t subtitled, or don’t contain at least three apostrophes in the title.

(BTW, Groucho, you are the most levelheaded user on this board.)
Old 11-18-02, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i honestly did not know that. i thought that an oscar nod ment that what ever was bing nominated was top notch. so according to your obsumption, the accademy is a bunch of kiss asses.
Old 11-18-02, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't hate Titanic. I don't love it either. I enjoyed the special effects and how visceral the sinking was. The love story was so cheesey it almost made me puke though.

L.A. Confidential should have won Best Picture that year IMHO.
Old 11-18-02, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by caiman
Amen! Any self-respecting film lover should hate all movies that make over $1 million at the box office, aren’t subtitled, or don’t contain at least three apostrophes in the title.

I actually liked Titanic. But I never saw it again, coz its a long movie.

I like the way it steamrolled into a cultural phenomenon, overwhelming all box office records. That was a joy to watch. The Oscars had no choice but to vote for it.

The only thing that ruined it, was James Cameron's silly acceptance speech, that was badly delivered. oh well, he's great nonetheless.

Originally posted by wendersfan
Academy Awards and nominations have no basis in film quality. Awards and nominations are regularly handed out primarily to films that make the Hollywood establishment feel good about itself. This tendency has gotten worse in recent years (decades) but it has always been this way.
good point. and it has gotten worse in the recent years. but sometimes they do choose great movies.

hope eminem goes to the Oscars this year

Last edited by joeydaninja; 11-18-02 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-18-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
With all the Money this film rake-in---they could've actually raised
the Real Titanic Up!
Old 11-18-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoyed it.... It was long but didn't feel long, I really enjoy the movie when the ship starting to go down (oops forgot to blacken the text for spoiler) and everyone just falls off the boat. Way cool
Old 11-18-02, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by davidlynchfan
With all the Money this film rake-in---they could've actually raised
the Real Titanic Up!
i'm a bit off-topic here, but what really bothered me was Armageddon. with the amount of money they spent on the movie, they could have used that money to up the asteroid monitoring systems of the Earth to a level that we could see every object coming towards our planet. At the moment they only have a budget of around 5 million dollars a year.

Though on the other hand, if there was an asteroid heading towards the earth, could really do anything about it? Bruce Willis and his team of leathernecks not included.

And besides no asteroid is coming towards the earth anyway. it's all media and Hollywood hype, isn't it?

now the real question is, why does everybody hate Michael Bay so much

Last edited by joeydaninja; 11-18-02 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-18-02, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Haha, that's funny cuz it's true.

If Titanic had bombed and faded away with little attention, people wouldn't be nearly as hard on it. But since it was a monster hit, financially and critically, the "cyber el33te movie snobs" tear it apart.

How predictable.
Old 11-18-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joeydaninja

hope eminem goes to the Oscars this year
Yeah, and he can sit next to Britney Spears.
Old 11-18-02, 05:26 PM

It wasn't terrible, but it certainly did not deserve the Oscar, which should have gone to LA Confidential or even As Good as it Gets. The best thing about the movie for me was when Kate Winslet got naked.
Old 11-18-02, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.

If Titanic had bombed and faded away with little attention, people wouldn't be nearly as hard on it. But since it was a monster hit, financially and critically, the "cyber el33te movie snobs" tear it apart.
If Titanic had "bombed" then my father-in-law would never had given the video to my wife as a gift, we would never have watched it, and I would never have had the opportunity to dislike it. BTW, my wife, who is in no way a film snob, also hated Titanic, so, while it's convenient to label anyone who dislikes popular movies as a "film snob", it's at best inaccurate, and at worst, insulting.
Old 11-18-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ill tell you what i think about part 2 tomorrow as i have not seen this movie in at least a year or so.
Old 11-18-02, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by k-qwick
Same Here I especially love that Kate Winslet nude scene Classic!
Then by this criterion, Jude, in which Kate does a full-frontal, might possibly be the best movie ever made?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.