Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm bummed about AOTC...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I'm bummed about AOTC...

Old 11-14-02, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm bummed about AOTC...

first of all..great dvd, great movie, but the last 2 star wars movies seem so "fake". all the fancy special effects make everything seem too perfect and shiny. almost every background in the movie is done by a computer, so when they actually do shoot in a real set, it looks weird.

know what i mean? in the old movies, the creatures looked real because they were tangible props. now u can just tell their CG.
Old 11-14-02, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I agree with everything you said.

Except the "great movie" part...
Old 11-14-02, 10:32 PM

TPM was bad AOTC was good
Old 11-14-02, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Moving to Movie Talk, as this discussion is regarding the quality of the movies and not DVDs specifically.
Old 11-14-02, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Justin00787
TPM was bad AOTC was good
i'm not discussing the movies...i'm taking about the special f/x. like the land speeder in star wars looked REAL..because for all purposes it was. but the new planes look so fake. so shiny and perfect..u can tell some computer spit it out.

make the movie less real
Old 11-14-02, 10:37 PM

In some ways I agree, but I couldn't see them making the new movies in the old way...

I just want the old movies on DVD!
Old 11-14-02, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just wait, they are in the "Golden Age". After the Empire takes over everything falls to crap.
Old 11-14-02, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Does it have to be repeated that there were models in AOTC and TPM? Watch some of the supplements and you'll see quite a few.
Old 11-15-02, 12:10 AM

When i watched AOTC it looked more like a cartoon then a live action movie. Some of that was the fact that it was shot digital and i was watching it on a non-digital projector and some of it was that the CGI just didn't look real. None of it looks tangible...it all stands out. Take LOTR, even tho there are times when some of the CGI looks crappy, most of the time it "fits" with the real world. I don't know why, but AOTC didn't "fit." It wasn't the sci-fi either...i dunno why, but it looked really fake.
Old 11-15-02, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just watched one of the documentaries on AotC, and was surprised that they did CGI stunt doubles with Obi-Wan, I couldn't even tell.
Old 11-15-02, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I do agree with the increase in technological shots, it can deplete the quality of th emovie, but you have to understand, that if they made a modern day movie of Star Wars and using props like they did in SW4-6, they wouldnt sell with the mass Public. I do totally agree with you, that is does take away from the movie, but there really isnt anything they can do, it is what sells.
Old 11-15-02, 01:41 AM

It's really funny to see all these advanced ships rendered by a computer and wonder how (chronologically) it is possible to have things that are stronger/better in the past. Like the storm troopers for example: in AOTC, their masks are all 1337 looking and then they just have a major downgrade later on. I never saw a droid running around shooting things or much of anything mecha/robotica in the original episodes (4-6).

And not to mention Yoda. That was a real treat to see a brand new Yoda that looked nothing like the original in TPM, then have him immediately transformed back into the original (through use of CG Renderings) in AOTC. Oh well, I don't want to complain too much. Lucas is doing a fine job with his popcorn-flick franchise.
Old 11-15-02, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Watch "Puppets to Pixels" on disk 2. It explains a lot of the process that they went through to digitize Yoda and some of the other digital characters. They really explain some of the thoughts behind taking Yoda back to the 'Empire' version. They wanted him to look like a puppet, so that he was more believable.

In terms of the rest of the ideas in this thread, I agree that this is before the 'Rebellion' and yes, all the ships seem new and shiny. For the most part we are dealing with a well funded government that can afford the mass quantities of new ships/clones, and then we are dealing with Naboo, also a rich planet, next we have Kamino... what they could build has to be clean and new looking, which builds the character of that species, then we have Tatooine, where they did make things look old and battered, and finally, the one place that needed to look more run down, the depths of Coruscant. This is the place that they should have made look like a ghetto. It just didn't look anything like I pictured it, or had it described to me in the books. The bowels of Coruscant were supposed to be this place that had been forgotten by the government, but where government droids were always going through and building/rebuilding more and more buildings, and rubble covers the ground, and the dregs of society hang out all over the place. In this version it was like a nice clean, almost upscale area. Wait until the 'Empire' starts to take over. We should start seeing the 'clunker' ships. I just can't wait until they debut the first Star Destroyer... not to mention our first view of Vader! (If it happens)

-CM-
Old 11-15-02, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by im2smrt4u
I just want the old movies on DVD!

Someone should start a thread on this.

Kidding. I was just kidding!
Old 11-15-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Mopower
Just wait, they are in the "Golden Age". After the Empire takes over everything falls to crap.
i never thought ot if that way...
Old 11-15-02, 03:18 PM

I feel the exact same way. How can a 11yr old movie like Terminator 2, with its 11yr old cgi effects still manage to blend them in better and make them look real and part of the movie than a movie made 2 yrs ago like AotC.

BOO! I say. Is Mr Lucas against hiring real actors.
Old 11-15-02, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I for one think they did a great job on AotC. On the DVD version of the film, Yoda looks amazingly life-like. Watching the extra on how the created Yoda made me realize how much work they put into it, and I must say it paid off well.

Also people...this IS just a movie...
Old 11-15-02, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by SirPablo

Also people...this IS just a movie...

yes, everyone repeat this! "this is just a movie"...not real
Old 11-15-02, 07:55 PM
Banned

That was a lot of critisism of the movie. Too much of the Special Effects and not enough of the characterizations and plot.

Fair movie but if Lucas does anything, it should be getting a good scriptwriter like Lawrence Kasdan or Josh Whedon and a new Director for the next movie and give a story about People not effects.
Effects are nothing without a good story.
Old 11-15-02, 10:02 PM
Banned

Just watched the two documentries on the DVD.

They just don't get it. They think they can shove CGI Effects on us by the truck-load, and we'll go "Woah!".

George, go see GALAXY QUEST or A.I. to see a combination of effects used WITH A DAMN STORY!
Old 11-16-02, 12:03 AM

I usually stay away from commenting in Star Wars threads but this one just touched on something that has been bothering me recently. Let me just get this out of the way right now. I like Star Wars for what it is, a good popcorn serial, nothing more. Also, I am not going to comment on whether Lucas is a good filmaker or not cause the guy can't catch a break either way.

With that out of the way it is onto the effects. The big problem with AOTC and TPM is that the effects are not used to enhance the story but ARE the story. I look at it like this, if you want to know whether a movie is totally dependent on fx to survive you think about whether or not the movie will still function without the fx. With Star Wars the answer is no. With some of the other fx laden franchises, Matrix, LOTR, Harry Potter, Terminator, Spider-Man, the answer is yes. Also, I totally agree that certain scenes in AOTC look...weird. I don't know how to describe it but to see what I am talking about check out the beginning of the scene in the rain with Jango and Obi, especially the explosion, and the opening scene with the pilot stepping off the ladder. Finally, the scene with Yoda, Obi, and Mace on the platform is really fake looking.
Old 11-16-02, 12:20 AM
Banned

dvdGUY

well said. I"m watching it again on DVD (only 2nd time I've seen it) and...well it's a joke. There is no charcter, no feeling, it's like playing Playstation 2.

The CGI mosters at the end are a total farce, and you can tell when a charter is CGI by the way they move.

Yes, Ep 4 5 6 have their problems, but they are not in the same Universe as these last 2.

Ep 3...who the hell cares.

Last edited by Scot1458; 11-16-02 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-16-02, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm canceling my preorder! Nobody told me there was going to be all this CGI!
Old 11-16-02, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
It's a...movie?
Old 11-16-02, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm betting there's gotta be some New School Star Wars fans out there that think the first 2 look great/amazing/whoawesome and who think the last 3, with their puppetry, look old and crappy. I think many of us who appreciate and prefer the first three Star Wars films are not just Old School fans, were also just old. The new trilogy is for a new generation of fans and there's no goin' back.

-Gunshy

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.