Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cowboy bebop movie status

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-02, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'm with the girlfriend right now so I don't have much access time.. Don't know if this has been posted or not.. but here you go..

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808441841

Release Date: January, 2003 (LA/NY); expands to other cities at later dates

Japanese Release Date: September 1st, 2001

U.S. Premiere: August 11th, 2002 (LA-American Cinematheque) (Japanese language); August 30th, 2002 (NY-Big Apple Anime Fest)

Title Note: (10/31/02) The original Japanese title apparently translates into English as something like 'Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door.'

Language: English (dubbed into English for the U.S. release from the original Japanese); Tristar plans to provide each theater in which this film opens with an additional print to run that has the original Japanese dialogue.

Running Time: 114 minutes

Distributor: Columbia TriStar (Sony)

Production Company: Bandai Visual Co. (Brother, Fireworks), Sunrise Inc. (Escaflowne)

Cast: (voices) Beau Billingslea (Jet Black), Melissa Charles (Ed), Nicholas Guest (Rasheed), Jennifer Hale (Electra Ovilo), Wendee Lee (Faye Valentine), David Lucas (Spike Spiegel), Daran Norris (Vincent Volaju), Dave Wittenberg (Lee Sampson)

Director: Shinichiro Watanabe (feature debut of the director of the TV series)

Screenwriter: Keiko Nobumoto (feature debut)

Based Upon: This is the first feature film movie based upon the popular 1998-1999 Japanese Anime TV series, "Cowboy Bebop", which aired in the U.S. on the Cartoon Network as part of their "Adult Swim" section.

Premise: Set on Mars in the year 2071, this film's story starts when a tanker truck explodes in a large city, releasing a deadly virus that kills hundreds. A massive reward attracts the interest of Bebop, a team of interplanetary bounty hunters, who sign on to investigate the event. Soon, they discover that the case appears to be connected to a man who had been believed dead for over ten years.

Looks like good news if you ask me
Old 11-04-02, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool, thanks for the update Jack
Old 11-04-02, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
No problem. very cool that they will give the option to show it subbed. looks like anime on the big screen is looking positive for the most part now a days.
Old 11-04-02, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Cowboy bebop movie status

Language: English (dubbed into English for the U.S. release from the original Japanese); Tristar plans to provide each theater in which this film opens with an additional print to run that has the original Japanese dialogue.
This is a very interesting move by Sony. Looks like very good news! Di$ney should learn from this.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-04-02, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Disney did learn from it, or so to say sony learned from disney. Spirited away was seen on DLP with a original language and sub's on most theaters. Something I think disney did good at.
Old 11-15-02, 12:22 AM
Banned

In this case, the dub is far superior.
Old 11-15-02, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Your view on it wallace, I loved the subbed far more then the dub, though I do give the dub credit, just feels normal to hear it in japanese.
Old 11-15-02, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I like the sub as well, it just feels right to me.
Old 11-15-02, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did they use the same cast for the movie as they did for the series? If so, then that's aces in my book... I thought the dub was excellent.

One of the latter episodes called "Mushoom Samba," I believe, can only be properly appreciated in English, as its an homage to Blaxspoitation, and sorry to say this, Japanese voice actors can't do "black."
Old 11-15-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Yes, I would also like to know if the cast list is the same as the series. I thought the dub for the series was AWESOME, and I'll be very dissappointed if it isn't the same people.
Old 11-15-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mewmartigan
Yes, I would also like to know if the cast list is the same as the series. I thought the dub for the series was AWESOME, and I'll be very dissappointed if it isn't the same people.
I will double-check, but as far as I know they are the same people. Some of them are using their alias in the credits to get past the SAG stipulations or some such.
Old 11-15-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have to agree on the dub here.. Faye's japanese voice is rancid.

Heard the movie was decent, but more like a long episode of the series.. can't wait to see it.