DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Theaters Intentionally Giving You a Wrong Ticket (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/247836-theaters-intentionally-giving-you-wrong-ticket.html)

chanster 11-02-02 01:31 AM

Theaters Intentionally Giving You a Wrong Ticket

Went to go see Comedian tonight with a female friend. I say two tickets to Comedian, and he gives me one Comedian and one I-Spy. Is this an attempt to inflate BO for I-SPY. I was at a Loews theater, which is owned by sony, which is responsible for I-SPY..Does this really happen???

cheekymunkey 11-02-02 07:15 AM

Did you ask him why he sold you the wrong ticket???

Its probably something innocent like he's correcting a previous error, he sold some one a Comedian ticket instead of I-Spy, which in my mind is the most obvious answer, as i used to work in retail and this does happen a lot, you make mistakes and have to try and correct them with you next sale.

...or he made a mistake with your sale, which i find harder to believe as it would involve pressing to seperate choice of tickets.

I doubt very much its something as underhand as trying to boost the no.s for I-Spy.

RevLiver 11-02-02 07:33 AM

I'm sure whichever company distributes Comedian would love to hear from you. I can't see it being a mistake, or correcting a mistake from before, because at some point, the ticketseller would have had to select a different movie.

Isn't Sony the company that got caught using blurbs from fake reviewer David Manning? I wouldn't put something like inflating box office receipts past them.

Goat3001 11-02-02 09:41 AM

Its a conspiracy -eek-

marty888 11-02-02 10:59 AM

No, can't see a theater owner doing what you're suggesting because.... <i>I Spy</i> is in it's first week, and theater owners give up a bigger share of ticket sales during the first 1-2 weeks of a run. So by faking sales for a new movie, the theater owner would be giving his money away.

Deftones 11-02-02 11:32 AM

what marty888 says is right on. if you asked for tickets for I-Spy and they gave you tix for Comedian, then there's something shady going on. they give out tix for movies that have been around a while, since the movie theater will recieve more of that revenue of the ticket.

Groucho 11-02-02 11:58 AM

I remember Spike Lee accusing theaters of doing this to reduce box office for Malcolm X.

ChiTownAbs, Inc 11-02-02 01:24 PM

i see a bothan spy here somewhere ;)

Giles 11-02-02 02:00 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
I remember Spike Lee accusing theaters of doing this to reduce box office for Malcolm X.
this doesn't surprise me, Lee is always complaining about something.

Sunday Morning 11-02-02 08:05 PM

I have been given the wrong ticket in the past, and when I confronted the box office with the problem, the person immediately called the manager for help! I thought that was a little too efficent. And before I could bat an eyelash he popped out and immediately crossed the name off the ticket in pen and wrote in the name of the film without saying anything.

Then on another occasion, I noticed that the same theater was giving out the wrong tickets, and when a customer said that they got the wrong ticket or looked confused, they said that it was ok, just tell them the ticket taker what movie you want to see.
And this was more than one ticket holder.
(This theater has since closed, hmmmm)

RevLiver 11-03-02 02:23 PM

Originally posted by marty888
No, can't see a theater owner doing what you're suggesting because.... <i>I Spy</i> is in it's first week, and theater owners give up a bigger share of ticket sales during the first 1-2 weeks of a run. So by faking sales for a new movie, the theater owner would be giving his money away.
But in this case, the theater is owned by the same company that is distributing the newer film.

Breakfast with Girls 11-03-02 07:32 PM

Originally posted by cheekymunkey
Did you ask him why he sold you the wrong ticket???

Its probably something innocent like he's correcting a previous error, he sold some one a Comedian ticket instead of I-Spy, which in my mind is the most obvious answer

This is indeed correct. When I worked for a theater in high school this happened every so often. Just corrected it on the next sale -- easier than voiding, saves everyone's time, and makes no difference.

I can guarantee you that the box office attendant couldn't give a **** about Sony and the money they take in.

LBPound 11-03-02 07:50 PM

And even if they did care about getting I Spy more tickets, they didn't do a very good job of it. ;)

SuperJim88 11-03-02 08:28 PM

Consider a lot more teens purchase pg-13 movies so that they can go in to watch what they really came to watch,a r-rated movie, the accuracy of box office sale has already been made impossible to be accurate.

bothanspy 11-03-02 09:09 PM

Originally posted by ChiTownAbs
i see a bothan spy here somewhere ;)
1. We're on it. Don't worry.
2. You will never see us. We're too clever.

SPY

Aaron Amos 11-04-02 12:37 AM

I've been given tickets for the right movie but the wrong time. I always try to check my ticket before I enter the movie theater. besides how can they(ticket takers) screw up when it's all computerized?