Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bowling For Columbine (please post about film)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-02, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who all has seen Bowling For Columbine and what did you actually think about the film itself??

Thought-provoking, funny and ambitious are three adjectives that come to mind for me.

I was shocked that he was able to use actual footage from the Columbine massacre in the film.

Conservatives or big hunting/fishing people might be put off somewhat by the film's views on guns and gun control but I still think that everyone should see this one.

Please don't start a political war and just make comments on Michael Moore's picture instead.

THANKS
Old 10-31-02, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I saw it and loved it. the clips flowed together well. Moore did a good job on it that I'm sure those who don't agree with his views can still take something away from it.

as for the gun controls and the views on them. I think he touches the line just enough that it's not like over does the gun control, nor does he point to it as a cause of the harm in the country as he notes that other countries have guns aswell without the high murder rates.

Over all, this is a hot topic. I'm sure you can't really have a thread about it without going to much on what people see moore as. but it's a great movie everyone should take a look at.
Old 10-31-02, 10:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
The animated segment was hilarious. Charlton Heston came across the biggest insensitive p***k, I have no sympathy for him.

As a post script to film I find the recent sniper incidents in the Washington DC area was a reality slap to Americans that suburbia isn't as safe as we have come to expect.

Last edited by Giles; 10-31-02 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-31-02, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The movie is excellent and I'm mighty glad that the response to it is so positive. It's unusual to get such a response to a film that is intelligent, wise, touching, funny and sad all at the same time.

By the way, I saw it the day before they trapped the two suspects in the sniper case. To me, it all looked so surreal looking at this film while these events were happening.

And on a sidenote, the film brought me to like Marylin Manson. I still wont buy his record but at least, I now know for sure that the man is not the freak the media want us to believe he is. I'd like to see him in his glam rock attire debate seriously with Bush some day. The result would be interesting and the president would propably make a fool of himself.

Over all, it's a great film and I think most people should see it.
Old 10-31-02, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't flame me... but I am NOT a Michael Moore fan. I don't like his directing style, his politics, or the broad brush he uses to portray them.

But, that said, my girlfriend is dragging me to see this in Hillcrest tonight (I am trying to get her to see Jackass instead). So, this conservative will give you his opinion tommorrow.
Old 10-31-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I look forward to your take on the film Dgeralsh.

I enjoyed jackass, but that movie is in no way better then bowling for columbine. You have to atleast watch it for brain food more so then the filler jackass will supply you with.

Man, two threads already died at the hands of this topic.. I wonder how long this one will last?
Old 10-31-02, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
I posted a review in the previous thread that was closed, but I'll just say this is the best film I've seen this year. Easily Moore's best work to date. From sorrow to laughter, engrossing to entertaining, the film really has it all, no matter your view on Moore's politics.
Old 10-31-02, 01:58 PM
Banned

I thought the more important issue argued in the film is that we don't neccessarily have a "gun problem" perse, but a "fear problem" that manifests itself in gun violence. It is interesting to see what a hot button issue gun control is in America when a film that is about so many things: the media, US history, welfare, corporate America, our educational system, and just plain old fear, gets labeled as a "Film About Gun Control". Moore may paint with a broad brush, but the critics (both left and right) paint with an even broader brush. Why do critics always pidgeonhole films into one category or description?

In reguards to our culture of fear a statement like this from someone who's seen the movie is disheartening:
As a post script to film I find the recent sniper incidents in the Washington DC area was a reality slap to Americans that suburbia isn't as safe as we have come to expect.
So 13 people get shot in the suburbs and that's a wake up call that the suburbs are unsafe? The suburbs are safe. The cities are safe. The murder rate is at its lowest point in 30 years. Calm down everybody. Statisticly we are safe. One isolated incedent of a crazy snipper doesn't mean we all need to move to North Dakota.
Old 10-31-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i just frickin hope that kerasotes brings this film to li'l ol' bloomington, indiana. they have an ugly monopoly in this city and that pisses me off. although, they have been diversifying by showing art films more, recently... they still suck, though. down with kerasotes.

ANYWAY, i am horribly anxious to see this film. i will be at the first screening when it is finally showing someplace nearby. it's good to hear all these positive comments about the film.
-di doctor-
Old 10-31-02, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DrRingDing
i just frickin hope that kerasotes brings this film to li'l ol' bloomington, indiana. they have an ugly monopoly in this city and that pisses me off. although, they have been diversifying by showing art films more, recently... they still suck, though. down with kerasotes.

ANYWAY, i am horribly anxious to see this film. i will be at the first screening when it is finally showing someplace nearby. it's good to hear all these positive comments about the film.
-di doctor-

No kidding about Kerasotes, they've started an art film kinda deal in Southern Illinois too but they still mismanage their theatres.

They movies no one cares about in big theatres and eaglery anticipated ones in smaller crappy sound theatres.

They have a monopoly here too. So they don't even advertise in papers except for listing the times that the shows start.

There used to be an AMC and they bought them out.

With everything merging this country is going down fast. No competition is bad for America.

I hope we get Bowling as well.
Old 10-31-02, 06:48 PM
Banned

(Comments removed. If you have strongly-worded comments about he film itself, *after* you have seen it, then make them. Until then, I consider your comments to be thread crapping.

We have all been given ample opportunity to make our feelings known on Moore himself, myself included. This thread will remain about the film itself. Period. - JustinS)

Last edited by jfoobar; 10-31-02 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-01-02, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought I would enjoy this movie more than I did. I found parts of it dragged. Moore can be hilarious, but I would have rather seen a debate.
Old 11-01-02, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by Scot1458
so then why did you leave The animated segment was hilarious. Charlton Heston came across the biggest insensitive p***k, I have no sympathy for him.

in above?? Hmmmmmm? I ran my comments with his almost word for word. Somehow, mine are considered "thread crapping".

more hyprocripsy from the mods.
I'd guess because he's seen and commenting on the movie, and is saying that in the movie, that's how Heston comes across. It's not thread crap, he's discussing the film.
Old 11-01-02, 02:19 PM
Banned

Scot1458: Have you seen the movie?
Old 11-01-02, 03:49 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I've seen Hook, and seen interviews with Spielberg on television. I guess that makes me qualified to post a review on Catch Me If You Can!
Old 11-01-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Groucho, I greatly enjoy your posts. I'm seeing the movie at 7:20 tonight, here's hoping it's good.
Old 11-01-02, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm discussing the film too! Why does he blame all the local corporations in Colorado for this, but yet doesn't blame Hollywood, video games, Rap Music, and all the other entertianment venues?

Why doesn't he blame Time Warner? Or Paramount? Or Blizzard?

Hmmm.....
I don't think he's "blaming" Lockheed-Martin for the Columbine incident. I think he is defending the entertainment industry because it is usually the number one target to account for juvenile deliquency. If listening to Marilyn Manson has an impact on kids, as it certainly does in a very small way, then perhaps the fact that dad makes weapons of mass destruction is a minor influence as well. Our entire society has an effect on who we are, you can't just ban a record and all the problems will go away.
Old 11-01-02, 04:53 PM
Banned

No.
That's why your comment was deleated.

I do agree with your comment that easily the weakest argument in the film is that somehow the defense industry (specificly Lockhead) is somehow responsible for the schoolyard shootings. I couldn't figure out where Moore was going with his argument untill I realized he was going NO WHERE WITH IT!!!

Last edited by Pants; 11-01-02 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-01-02, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Scot, watch the movie. it's that simple. He also defends manson because the MEDIA is targetting him as the problem.

watch the movie.

WATCH THE MOVIE

WATCH THE MOVIE

then.. come and post here.
Old 11-01-02, 05:00 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Pants

I do agree with your comment that easily the weakest argument in the film is that somehow the defense industry (specificly Lockhead) is somehow responsible for the schoolyard shootings. I couldn't figure out where Moore was going with his argument untill I realized he was going NO WHERE WITH IT!!!

I didn't think that he was trying to say that Lockheed was responsible for the shootings, indirectly or not. Their presence in the area is a coincidence, but is indicative of the violence inherent in US society. Sometimes the violence is urban crime, sometimes its a company making weapons killing people far away.
Old 11-01-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I used to be a fan of his, but I've grown tired of his antics and some of his backwards politics... I want to see this one cuz I've heard good things, but I'll be waiting for cable.
Old 11-02-02, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the point of the Lockheed Martin thing was that it helped deflate the Manson arguement, that couldn't the parents job be just as influential? I don't think he was saying either was really to blame, but that parents weren't as eager to examine what they might have done.
Old 11-02-02, 01:03 AM

I saw it this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated it. Although I laughed a lot during the film, I was surprised by how sad I felt at the end. I feel he raises many good issues, and doesn't really have an answer. Obviously, many factors are involved in America's high rate of gun violence compared to other countries'. I liked that he didn't just rant about "gun control", but tried to explore the issue (granted, he had an agenda). At the end of it all, though, but it seemed like the media's portrayal of (and constant bombardment with) violence in America is more at fault.
Anyway, the South Park-style animation of America's history was great, Charlton Heston is an old, racist boob, Dick Clark didn't quite deserve his brief portrayal, and Michael Moore is an entertaining, thought-provoking filmmaker.
And I'm dying to find out - have all KMart's stopped selling all firearm ammunition?
Let's go bowling!
Old 11-02-02, 06:55 AM

I thought this film was truly excellent - one of the best films of this year.
I realise that Moore is someone who divides opinion, but I think that this is an important film to see regardless of how much you agree (or disagree) with the director. It's simply a film that it's important to have an opinion about, just as it's important to have an opinion on the main theme of the film.
As others have mentioned, I left the cinema feeling very sad, although there are a number of moments when I laughed outright. A great balance of emotions.
Loved the Manson interview, too.

Dazza.
Old 11-02-02, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
re: Mr. Heston:

Whether you like Mr. Heston or not, and whether your against the right to own guns or not, it's pretty jive to slam a guy as he's taking on Alzheimers. Mr. Hesten was nice enough to grant Mr. Moore an interview knowing the guy disagrees with his stance on the 2nd amendment and then Mr. Moore challenges the old man on everything, not giving him time to respond, leaving him utterly confused. Totally unprofessional and it shows you the lack of character Mr. Moore has. Very sad.

Finally, with Moore flaunting his favorite example of "safe, peaceful" Canada, and pushing relentlessly for some basis for America's more numerous murders, he forces a reluctant, uncertain suggestion from Heston. "I don't know," the great actor begins, and then tentatively mentions the greater racial diversity in the United States.

Mr. Moore pounces on this statement, and virtually accuses Heston of racism – never acknowledging (or telling his audience) that the current president of the NRA enjoyed a personal friendship with Dr. Martin Luther King and participated more prominently in the civil-rights movement and its marches than any other major Hollywood star. Unwilling (or unable) to make this point himself, Mr. Heston merely disconnects his microphone, gets up out of his chair and walks away from Moore and his camera – a wounded refugee seeking shelter in another wing of his own home.

Even without Charlton Heston's courageous announcement of his own battle with Alzheimer's symptoms (an announcement which Moore, of course, never references), this appalling interview would represent a new low in a manipulative filmmaker's checkered career.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.