Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Santa Clause 2: does it still have its audience?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-29-02, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Okay, as I am sure many of you know, The Santa Clause 2 comes out this Friday. The first one was a major hit when it was released, even though it was about two weeks after release before it hit its holiday business peak. I caught it myself and found it to be quite entertaining, even though I was a Senior in H.S. at the time.
While I have no doubt this one will be more of the same, one question pops into my mind: does the audience that made the first one a hit still exist? Think about it. The first one came out 8 years ago (doesn't seem like that long). The attitudes of many kids can change drastically in that time frame. Those that were in pre-school at the time are now adolescents, and might not even acknowledge that they liked the film at one point. That seems to be a risk with Disney making sequels. With the exception of Toy Story, the core audience of the first tends to disappear over time. Kids who wanted to see Tim Allen as old St. Nick in 1994 would most likely want to see James Bond or a blow-up film eight years later. In short, I think the audience that made the first one a hit won't be back for the second one.
Old 10-29-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Disney is probably counting more on the current kiddie crowd to see this than the kids who saw the original 8 years ago. Notice they've just released the original on DVD. Now the parents can buy that and take the kids to see the sequel.

I doubt it'll do as well as the first, which I didn't care for at all.
Old 10-29-02, 09:59 AM
Banned

Eight years ago? Whoa! To think I thought that movie was the bomb when I could of been watching Pulp Fiction or The Professional.
Old 10-29-02, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lesterlong
Eight years ago? Whoa! To think I thought that movie was the bomb when I could of been watching Pulp Fiction or The Professional.

You kind of proved my point. Thanks!
Old 10-29-02, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts
Unless someone wipes out all the kids in America before Friday, I somehow doubt a movie about Santa won't have an audience.
Old 10-29-02, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know I'll be there.
Old 10-29-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It should be entertaining. I don't see why they are releasing it so early though. I thought the grinch that stole christmas remake came out early and that was only a week before Thanksgiving.
Old 10-29-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know the film will have an audience, my question is how much of it(the audience) will be composed of former members of the last film.
Old 10-29-02, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Blaster1
It should be entertaining. I don't see why they are releasing it so early though. I thought the grinch that stole christmas remake came out early and that was only a week before Thanksgiving.
I know why they're releasing it early. Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, that's why.

I thought the very same thing since it took 8 years for the sequel to finally hit theaters, and I think it's a valid point. If the target audience was roughly 8-12 year olds then, those kids are 16-20 and many are way too cool for "a G-rated Disney movie."

Nonetheless, there are plenty of kids who maybe caught it for the first time on ABC or Disney Channel or rented it, and are looking forward to this one. The original is one of the more popular family films of the last decade, so it's likely that even kids who were too young or not alive when the first one came out will have seen the original and will embrace the sequel.

I'm looking forward to the film, and while I could have went to see the original and be around its target audience, I still want to see this one, even if I'm not the target audience.

Nonetheless, eight years is a pretty long time to wait to do a sequel. Usually sequels that come that much later do not work, but this one actually looks like it could. I'm hoping it does, and that it has a good audience.
Old 10-29-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
How could it not have an audiance, it's about santa clause getting some tail! Ooooh yeah, thats great stuff.

disney is counting on the current childern. as you well know, parents don't limit what they show there kids to what NEW movies are out. they show the tapes of older stuff. so the first will be fresh in the minds of the youth.
Old 10-29-02, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But Disney didn't lock up their DVD release of it in a vault after 60 days of the initial release for ten years. Unlike their animated movies, the kids over the past 8 years have had plenty of opportunities to see this on DVD at home even if they were too young to catch it when it first came out.
Old 10-29-02, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would like to see it...but I can wait til it comes out on dvd...i rarely go to the cinema to see anything....and I doubt this one is going to motivate me to do so.
Old 10-29-02, 04:26 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
As long as my wife is alive, yes... :-(
Old 10-29-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I saw a screening of SC2 the first week of this month.

I was expecting a direct-to-video level production that simply went through an uninspired storyline. However, the film actually wasn't half bad. Although there are some stretches that drag and the film struggles to find a reason for existing at times, I found some unexpected big laughs and one particular scene that was surprisingly joyful and moving mid-movie. While not great, I didn't think SC2 was that terrible, either. Is it going to do anything much for Tim Allen's career? Nope; it's just not that memorable. Will it find a decent audience for a few weeks until Harry Potter? I think so.
Old 10-30-02, 01:00 AM

As a kid who say it with his daddy when he was 8 now all grown up i cant wait to see the sequel
Old 10-30-02, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really want to see it. I just bought the Santa Clause SE, and can't wait to see the second one. Any half decent promoted Santa Claus movie will do at less passable business around Christmas time, IMO.
Old 10-30-02, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by movieking
I really want to see it. I just bought the Santa Clause SE, and can't wait to see the second one. Any half decent promoted Santa Claus movie will do at less passable business around Christmas time, IMO.

Are you sure. The Salkind production of Santa Claus:The Movie was one of the biggest flops of its time last I checked. Shame I saw it in the theater out of my nine year-old naievete.
Old 10-30-02, 06:04 PM

I liked the first one and 'll check out this one as well
Old 10-31-02, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Are you sure. The Salkind production of Santa Claus:The Movie was one of the biggest flops of its time last I checked. Shame I saw it in the theater out of my nine year-old naievete.
HA! I saw this at the theatre when i was younger...i thought it was wicked! Anyhow, about Santa Clause 2, i'm sure it will find a pretty big audience... i thought the first was entertaining but entirely forgettable... I think Tim Allen and Disney were just looking to reclaim some of their former glory (as far as Disney is concerned, i mean among their live action film division)... so i think it will be a pretty successful movie, but will not do as well as the first...

MATT

i'm still deciding if I'm gonna see it or not....
Old 11-01-02, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

...and I decided to see it...

It was fairly entertaining, but still entirely predictable and overly sweet... the first quarter is a dud...very dull, but the movie gets better as it goes, although the last bit slips a few notches, but overall a fun family flick...not the best christmas movie, but for a family matinee, this one should keep the kids entertained...

MATT
Old 11-01-02, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am married with 2 kids and I am very much looking forward to this movie. I am going to buy the DVD with the movie ticket inside and take my whole family to a matinee showing.

I am a sucker for good Christmas movies (that does not mean Santa 2 will be good) and every year I buy atleast one DVD with a Christmas theme to it. This year it will be the 1st Santa Clause and It's a Wonderful Life.

Ho, Ho, Ho!!!