Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ring - questions [spoilers]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Ring - questions [spoilers]

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-03, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the impression that Samara was their chiild...it was said that her Mom was not meant to bare any children. But they told the people on the island that she was adopted. What was the motive for telling that lie?
Old 10-16-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth Grimm1 •<HR SIZE=1>I got the impression that Samara was their chiild...it was said that her Mom was not meant to bare any children. But they told the people on the island that she was adopted. What was the motive for telling that lie? <HR SIZE=1>

I'm not sure what you're asking here, but we're led to believe they left and returned with the child saying that she was adopted. The intent is to make us think her origin is possibly mystical or not natural. Maybe they did adopt her, or maybe she really is theirs, or maybe ... the point is that it's an unknown, something to add more mystery to her character. Assuming something weird was up, you can understand why they'd just say she was adopted.

das
Old 10-16-03, 03:31 PM

From what the father said I took it to mean that she was their natural/unatural born child. That his wife was never meant to have a child...this kind of explaining why Samara is "not natural". I thought maybe I missunderstood this part but on another site it is mentioned that the mother is listed on Samara's birth certificate as the natural birth mother.

There was no mention that I remember that bad things were happening when Samara was a baby so why the need to lie about her being adopted?
Old 10-16-03, 06:35 PM
Cool New Member

I cant believe this thread is still going on after 1(+) year.
Old 10-16-03, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by mather_2003
I cant believe this thread is still going on after 1(+) year.
Hey...what can I say...I just caught it on dish the other night for the first time. Most of the questions I had were addressed earlier in the post except this one. Figured there's no point to starting a new post.

I liked how the mystery of the story unfolded...but was a little let down by the ending.
Old 10-16-03, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by Grimm1
Hey...what can I say...I just caught it on dish the other night for the first time. Most of the questions I had were addressed earlier in the post except this one. Figured there's no point to starting a new post.

I liked how the mystery of the story unfolded...but was a little let down by the ending.
Also, someone would have undoubtedly told you to use a search
Old 08-16-17, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: The Ring - questions [spoilers]

I'm bring this thread back from the dead because I have a question that's bugging me after re-watching this movie last night.

Toward the end of the movie, Rachel (Naomi Watts) is leaving Noah's apartment after finding him dead. On her way out, she sees Noah's girlfriend getting ready to get on the elevator to go up to Noah's apartment. Rachel hides in a doorway to keep from being seen by the girlfriend, and while she waits for the coast to clear, she briefly looks at a bloody tissue in her hand (apparently bloody from her own nosebleed).

My question is -- what is the point of this scene? After this, Rachel goes home, has the realization that she was spared b/c she made a copy of the tape, then walks her son through the process of making a copy himself so that he will be spared. Then the movie ends. I cannot figure out what the near run-in with the girlfriend contributes to the movie at all. Thoughts?
Old 08-16-17, 07:35 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

It's been awhile since I've watched it, but was it just to show that Rachel was going to be successful in passing it on, and who the victim would be?
Old 08-16-17, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
It's been awhile since I've watched it, but was it just to show that Rachel was going to be successful in passing it on, and who the victim would be?
Maybe, but I don't quite see the connection. At the point that Rachel sees the girlfriend, she hasn't realized that making a copy saves your life. And the girlfriend was a totally harmless character, so the idea that Rachel would basically target her with the tape seems inexplicably vicious.
Old 08-18-17, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Maybe, but I don't quite see the connection. At the point that Rachel sees the girlfriend, she hasn't realized that making a copy saves your life. And the girlfriend was a totally harmless character, so the idea that Rachel would basically target her with the tape seems inexplicably vicious.
According to my memory, Trevor is correct.

She may have not known before hand, as in she didn't set up/target the girlfriend. But after not dying, she could have figured out why... And she must have, hence her helping her son make a copy to escape the curse.

And, yeah, it's mean. Someone will have to die, and likely be innocent of deserving death. To save yourself and or child, wouldn't you pass the curse along? And if so, wouldn't you rather it be to a stranger than someone you know?
Old 08-18-17, 10:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Looking at the synopsis on Wikipedia, it appears that Rachel passed the curse on to her ex-boyfriend Noah. So I don't know, maybe I'll watch it again in October.

But you know, this is the type of question that was probably discussed and answered in the sadly deceased IMBd message boards.

Hey, didn't some website backup those boards?