Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

woody allen claims he is a "failed artist"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

woody allen claims he is a "failed artist"

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-02, 05:17 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woddy Allen is one of the best directors. I also love his on screen persona. His movies are low key, which is Zelig! in my view is one of the best films ever.

What I don't understand is how can some people say he's a bad director because he married his adopted daughter. It's like huh?? what does his personal life has anything to do with his ability as a director?
Old 10-29-02, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by mikes0765
Woddy Allen is one of the best directors. I also love his on screen persona. His movies are low key, which is Zelig! in my view is one of the best films ever.

What I don't understand is how can some people say he's a bad director because he married his adopted daughter. It's like huh?? what does his personal life has anything to do with his ability as a director?
I just want to make my position clear (in case it was not). ~ I never liked Woody Allen...Not before or after he showed what a slime he is. I'm sure I like a lot of directors who were / are slime themselves. I just don't like his movies. There is no answer except that for some reason they don't do anything for me and never did.

Like I said ~ If anyone else likes him and / or his work it's fine with me. I don't
Old 10-30-02, 10:00 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I agree he may have lost his "touch". However, I still very much enjoyed Everyone Says I Love You and Sweet & Lowdown.

I have yet to see Hollywood Ending and Curse of the Jade Scorpion.
Old 10-30-02, 10:07 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by mikes0765
What I don't understand is how can some people say he's a bad director because he married his adopted daughter.
What's funny is that Soon-Yi never was his adopted daughter. Her adoptive father is Andre Previn.
Old 10-30-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Considering he's been doing the same routine for all his films I would agree with him
Old 10-30-02, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by neiname
Considering he's been doing the same routine for all his films I would agree with him
Yeah, Sweet and Lowdown was pretty much a shot-for-shot remake of Sleeper.
Old 10-30-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just saw 'Stardust Memories' in my film class. Are other Allen films as good as this one?
Old 10-30-02, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
Yeah, Sweet and Lowdown was pretty much a shot-for-shot remake of Sleeper.

Small Time Crooks surely seemed like a much less funny Take the Money and Run. Agree?
Old 10-30-02, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by evitagen
I just saw 'Stardust Memories' in my film class. Are other Allen films as good as this one?
Most Allen films are better. Stardust Memories is generally considered to be one of his weaker efforts.
Old 10-30-02, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by auntiewinnie
Small Time Crooks surely seemed like a much less funny Take the Money and Run. Agree?
Disagree. The heist in the first half of the film was reminiscent of Take the Money and Run, but the second half went off in a completely different direction.
Old 10-30-02, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts
And Another Woman is just a rehash of What's Up Tiger Lily except without the Japanese actors.
Old 10-30-02, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chalk me up as one of the very few who enjoy some of his later works. Of course I love his earlier classics but with the exception of Hollywood Ending (which was just horrible imo), his later comedies crack me up. I found The Curse of the Jade Scorpion pretty funny; not as good as his earlier comedies but funny nonetheless. Small Time Crooks wasn't even that bad. His last GREAT film, though, imo was Deconstructing Harry.
Old 10-30-02, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like "Stardust Memories" better than most - sort of a cross between "8-1/2" and "Wild Strawberries". If you like this one, you might consider checking out "Deconstructing Harry" (another Allen film I seem to like more than most).
Old 10-30-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For all the movies Allen has made over the years, I'd say the man has a remarkably consistent track record. No, he doesn't hit it out of the park every time, but with recent ones like "Hollywood Ending" and "Curse of the Jade Scorpion", it seems to me his intent was just getting on base. Nothing to make you think, just laughs. And I'd say he succeeded on that count. When he wants to do another "Crimes and Misdemeanors", he will.

And wow, didn't know there were so many Allen-haters around here!
Old 10-30-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
What's funny is that Soon-Yi never was his adopted daughter. Her adoptive father is Andre Previn.
The Allen-haters aren't interested in this bit of fact, as it distracts from their attempts to impose their "morality" into an unrelated discussion. You'll notice that the same folks who are the first to jump into a Woody Allen thread with "He married his daughter" are exactly the same people to jump into a Clinton thread with "He got a hummer in the Oval Office", despite the fact that it has NOTHING to do with the discussion at hand.
Old 10-30-02, 05:09 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid
The Allen-haters aren't interested in this bit of fact, as it distracts from their attempts to impose their "morality" into an unrelated discussion. You'll notice that the same folks who are the first to jump into a Woody Allen thread with "He married his daughter" are exactly the same people to jump into a Clinton thread with "He got a hummer in the Oval Office", despite the fact that it has NOTHING to do with the discussion at hand.
Regardless of his personal life, which does give me the creeps, I simply do not like his movies. Seen many, especially the big ones that everyone goes nuts over, and they just do nothing for me.

Aside from that fact, I do believe that a person's private life can affect how their artistic work is viewed. Let's take the topic at hand. In some of Woody Allen's films, he has played characters that date ridiculously younger women. Knowing about his personal life, I have found it difficult to really appreciate some of his work. Plus, I see him and I think about him banging his wife's adopted daughter. It gets in the way of my accepting him.

This to me is the same as movie stars that allow their outlandish behavior to become public knowledge. I have a hard time thinking about Russel Crowe as anything other than an ***hole due to some of the things he has done. So when I see him in a role now, I have a hard time seperating his cockiness with the character he is playing. I try my best, but he doesn't make it easy. On the other hand, I know very little about Kevin Spacey's personal life. This really does help me accept him in any role.

Last edited by sherm42; 10-30-02 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-30-02, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Woody Allen

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-30-02 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-30-02, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by sherm42
Aside from that fact, I do believe that a person's private life can affect how their artistic work is viewed. Let's take the topic at hand. In some of Woody Allen's films, he has played characters that date ridiculously younger women. Knowing about his personal life, I have found it difficult to really appreciate some of his work. Plus, I see him and I think about him banging his wife's adopted daughter. It gets in the way of my accepting him.
Well said.
Old 10-30-02, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hi Christ!! How many threads can there be arguing back and forth about Woody Allen. Closing Thread,

If I had the ability to do so.
Old 10-30-02, 09:41 PM
Needs to provide a working email

I haven't seen ALL of Allen's movies-- does he have any in which he doesn't play a whiny unlikeable Jewish guy? Maybe one where he plays a strong, likeable Jewish guy? Or a whiny, unlikeable gentile?
Old 10-30-02, 11:29 PM

Well, if we are all critical of ourselves then we would all fail in our own eyes. I am merely qouting someone else.
Old 10-31-02, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts
Aside from that fact, I do believe that a person's private life can affect how their artistic work is viewed.
I agree!!

That's why I hated The Santa Clause and will not go see The Santa Clause 2. I just can't see Santa Claus being played by a drunk driving drug dealer. It gets in my way of accepting the character.
Old 10-31-02, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He's had great success as a pervert........
Old 10-31-02, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by sherm42
Plus, I see him and I think about him banging his wife's adopted daughter.
Mia Farrow was never Allen's wife. They didn't even live together.
Old 10-31-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Souljahh
^ He isn't a bad director. I actually like him as an actor only cause of his neurotic behavior, not necessarily cause he's a good actor.
I wouldn't say it's so much acting as it is behaving.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.