DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Ghost Ship (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/244797-ghost-ship.html)

mikeporter 10-20-02 06:17 PM

Ghost Ship

Just saw a sneak peak, very good, kind of had a Resident Evil feel to it. The singer is HOT! :drool: :hump: Oh and no time is wasted letting you know it is a horror movie! :consume:

Geofferson 10-20-02 07:03 PM

I've only seen the trailer...it looks like it could be promising. I like Gabriel Byrne, but I'm not going to keep my hopes up.

Goat3001 10-20-02 08:24 PM

I figure that I'll check out a movie late night on Halloween. It was going to be this because I was planning on seeing The Ring this weekend, but since I missed it I'll see that instead. Ghost Ship didn't look that good from the preview and if its "Resident Evil" like it probably won't scare me. :)

clemente 10-20-02 09:28 PM

Resident Evil like? Hmmm.

I was going to see this just to see a "scary" movie at halloween time, but I saw the The Ring and that really creeped me out, so I doubt Ghost Ship can fill my needs for a horror flick next weekend. Probably just see The Ring again.

Chad 10-20-02 09:52 PM

So this is from the people (Dark Castle) who brought us 'House On Haunted Hill' and '13 Ghosts'...so what's with all these remakes? Hmmm... makes you think.

I'll check it out though, according to Fangoria magazine it sounds like a decent horror flick, but only after I see 'The Ring' again (and again).

Aaron Amos 10-20-02 11:01 PM

Does the little ghost girl play a important role in the movie or not?I'm taking a guess from what I've seen in the trailer.

JaxComet 10-21-02 08:45 AM

Part of the trailer looks like "The Shining" on a ship.....

superstringtheory 10-21-02 12:32 PM

Oh, this movie looks terrible. If it's anything remotely like Resident Evil I definitely won't go near it.

Aaron Amos 10-21-02 11:51 PM

Is this movie another remake of another William Castle movie?

rkndkn 10-22-02 02:57 AM

Originally posted by JaxComet
Part of the trailer looks like "The Shining" on a ship.....
EXACTLY what I think every time I see the trailer, especially the part with the party appearing around him.

I like Gabriel Byrne, and I'll probably give it a look.

LBPound 10-22-02 07:42 AM

I think it looks pretty bad, and if my fears are confirmed, one has to wonder why Juliana Margulies left ER to pursue a film career, which is really just standard schlock. But let's wait before jumping to that conclusion. :D

Josh-da-man 10-22-02 09:45 AM

Looks like it might be a decent horror flick.

Almost looks like a throwback to the excellent horror flicks of twenty years ago. "The Fog," The Shining," "Halloween," "Ghost Story," -- the kind of stuff that took itself seriously and wasn't trying to emulate "Scream."

Peep 10-23-02 03:48 PM

I thought this was a really fun little movie. The plot has a couple of holes in it, but it's very visually striking, it's scarey enough, and it piles on the gore.

It's creepy but it could have been more suspenseful.

matome 10-24-02 08:18 AM

Looks kinda interesting to me (I loved <i>Deep Rising</i> :))...I'll be checking it out.

soxrule 10-24-02 10:32 PM

I was so excited to see this movie and its not playing me i hate living in hick-ville

Rod Thorn 10-24-02 10:38 PM

The trailer sucked. Looked lame. Might stay away from this one unless some convinces me otherwise...

JaxComet 10-25-02 05:54 PM

The reviews have been weak but there's a lot of buzz about the first 10 minutes maybe being worth the price of admission.....

thegame370 10-25-02 11:53 PM

Well saw it tonight with my GF and although i didnt expect this movie to be great it wasn't that good either, it was just ok i think. I mean the opening scene, which JaxComet reffered to, was great, it was a killer opening. But the rest of the film didnt follow. I mean the story was somewhat interesting and you couldnt help deny the creepiness of a stranded ghost ship but the film was weak overall. I felt the ending was rushed as well. I mean if you wanna watch something for this Halloween go see The Ring, if you've seen that already like i have, go see this and kill sometime. Its an Ok flick but nowhere near as good as Event Horizon which i think is simialar, but EH is a killer movie!

Aaron Amos 10-26-02 01:16 AM

Who played the villian? What other work has this person done? Could Emily Browning(Katie in the movie) become a breakout movie star? Is it just me or does this movie seem to have have itself in a forever repeating cycle(the movie's ending I'm talking about here)?

dvd_talker 10-26-02 10:34 AM

some questions i need answered(spoilers):

Spoiler:

* so was the villian a ghost? if so, how come he could handle materials? - like when he handed out photos at the bar and when handed her a jacket. The little girl couldn't grab the necklace.

*also, since he could shape shift, was he santos? or was that santos?

*and how did that black guy kiss the singer if she was a ghost?

*and how the hell did they get the gold? the ship blows up, she is alone when they are rescued.

*and finally, if the villian was interested in colectiing souls, what use did he have for the gold?

laserdogg 10-26-02 11:12 AM

Originally posted by dvd_talker

Spoiler:

* so was the villian a ghost? if so, how come he could handle materials? - like when he handed out photos at the bar and when handed her a jacket. The little girl couldn't grab the necklace.

*and how the hell did they get the gold? the ship blows up, she is alone when they are rescued.

*and finally, if the villian was interested in colectiing souls, what use did he have for the gold?

Good questions. I am a bit confused after seeing it as well.

Anyone?

C.H.U.D. 10-27-02 12:28 AM

Originally posted by dvd_talker

Spoiler:

I'll try and answer these the best I can.

Spoiler:

* The villain was a demon, who was using the ship to collect souls that he would bring to hell. Remember, his last name was Ferriman, as in "Ferryman to the river Styx".

* It was probably the pissed off ghost of Santos, or perhaps it was Ferriman fooling with his mind. Not sure.

* Once again, it was Ferriman, fooling with his mind so he would die and get his soul. I think.

* Well, since Ferriman is a demon, I'm sure Satan created or gave him the gold so he could start again with the new cruise liner.

* He uses the gold to lure greedy, sinful people to the ship so he can take their souls.

As for the movie itself, I thought it was okay, but it ended on kind of a wimper.

Vampyr 10-27-02 04:51 PM

Well.......I actually went to the movies in order to catch this film ( afternoon pricing:D ).

OK.....Here are my thoughts ~

Like many here I didn't expect very much. I actually love ships (particularly ocean liners) so I thought I'd give it a try.

I agree that the film opened with a bit of a bang which the rest of the film didn't properly follow-up on. Yes, this was far from a great film, but I don't believe it was close to being as bad as some of the reviews have made it out to be. In fact, I thought it was just about what I expected and nothing more or less.

Overall I was entertained for my $5.00 and will probably buy the DVD when it's released. I must say that if it were not for my interest in ships, I'd probably not buy the DVD.

So there it is.....Vampyr ("The Movie Snob"
Spoiler:
Not really a movie snob, but called that buy some of my DVD Talk friends
actually chose a B- movie to get him to go to the theater for the first time in MANY months). To make things even funnier, he actually enjoyed it. Go figure:lol:

BTW: With a better script this could have been a very good horror flick. But that's the case with so many other movies as well.

djones6746 10-27-02 05:09 PM

I am always ready for a good ghost story.....will probably buy this one on dvd. :)

highdef 10-28-02 05:49 AM

I was pleasantly suprised with just how entertaining GHOST SHIP was. Sure the plot has some holes, but for the most part it's a
well conceived ghost story. The film's visual dynamics offer a fresh approach to what is usually a tired genre. I will certainly be adding GHOST SHIP to my collection when it pulls into port on DVD.