Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ring ... Scariest Movie I'd Ever Seen

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-19-02, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Spoilers Please. You guys have got to see this one. The scariest movie made me thinks. Very well made. I don't know about the PG-13 rating cuz there was a ton of kids in the theater. Parents should be ashamed of themselves bringing youngings to this one.
Old 10-19-02, 04:26 AM

scarier than any 70's horror movies? Gonna see this later today. Hope I' not dissapointed. They don't make horror movies like they used to.
Old 10-19-02, 05:31 AM

they do in asia! well maybe not lik they did in the 70s, but at least unlike modern american horror asian horror is actually scary.
Old 10-19-02, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't you post the same exact thing for signs?

"_____, scariest movie I have ever seen"

as for the parents being ashamed, they felt, under the indication of the rating system that there son or daughter at any given age could handle it. It's up to there childern and the doctor bills if they are willing to trust a MPAA ratings system again.
Old 10-19-02, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At the matinee I was yesterday some lady brought her 5 year old to see it with her, I am sure it wasn't the child's request to see this. Thankfully the child was for the most quiet (asleep?). The two teenagers though four rows in front of me wouldn't shut up.
Old 10-19-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Oh puh-leeze! This IS NOT the scariest movie ever made. Our generation does not know true horror in cinema I think. Signs was much more frightening IMO.

I saw this movie last night and aside from some stupid teen screaming at the top of his lungs when Naomi went in to the house, it was mostly just disturbing images. Images that couldn't get under your skin unless you just watched them over and over.

Naomi Watts is hot, but aside from that I would give the film about **1/2 stars. Nothing exceptional.
Old 10-19-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 162 Likes on 130 Posts
Scariest movie ever? Naw. Though it did have it's moments.

That being said, I can't really think of any scary movies that actually scared me.

So I guess having moments is a plus.

*** outta 4, for being an intriguing and excellent looking remake of an overrated movie, and a good movie in it's own right. And man am I glad they did away with the "Everyone has ESP!" concept.

That and it did, for some unknown reason, get my heart racing, and I can't quite explain why.

Oh yeah, and after Mulholland Drive I had no idea what to expect in terms of Naomi Watts' acting, she didn't disappoint.
Old 10-19-02, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Didn't you post the same exact thing for signs?

"_____, scariest movie I have ever seen"

as for the parents being ashamed, they felt, under the indication of the rating system that there son or daughter at any given age could handle it. It's up to there childern and the doctor bills if they are willing to trust a MPAA ratings system again.
Nope. Didn't even see the signs (which I know the origins of are pretty fake, in fact some guys in England showed how it is done).

Go see The Ring. You won't be disappointed. See it a night with a nice hottie and thank me in the morning.
Old 10-19-02, 01:57 PM
Banned

I havent seen it yet, going tonight, but someone thought Signs was scarry or was that a joke??

Please tell me it's better than that piece of crap.
Old 10-19-02, 02:41 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Rod Thorn
Nope. Didn't even see the signs (which I know the origins of are pretty fake, in fact some guys in England showed how it is done).
You wouldn't happend to watch the TLC special bout the crop circle would you? Cause granted there were 3 people who claims to be responsible for some of the crop circles that they made, they said the original idea didn't came from them. They actually saw these crop circle being made all over the world, like China, Russia, England..... and that 's when they got the idea to make some on their own. The true origin of it is still unknown to the experts and it's still up to debate.

Just something for you to think about.
Old 10-19-02, 06:29 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by cooper2000
I havent seen it yet, going tonight, but someone thought Signs was scarry or was that a joke??

Its so-so. If you are going to see it, don't go in and expect it to be the scariest movie. Comparing The Ring and Signs is like someone asking you if you like an apple or and orange. I guess if you compared Sixth Sense and The Ring, i prefer Sixth Sense.
Old 10-19-02, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by SuperJim88
You wouldn't happend to watch the TLC special bout the crop circle would you? Cause granted there were 3 people who claims to be responsible for some of the crop circles that they made, they said the original idea didn't came from them. They actually saw these crop circle being made all over the world, like China, Russia, England..... and that 's when they got the idea to make some on their own. The true origin of it is still unknown to the experts and it's still up to debate.

Just something for you to think about.
i thought that was a fox special now on tlc.
Old 10-20-02, 12:53 AM
Cool New Member

the ring is scarier/more intense then signs. I just saw it an hour ago and was surprised. I thought it would not live up to the hype, but it was good. Its more of a horror film then signs too. I recommend to check it out.
Old 10-20-02, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RichC2

*** outta 4, for being an intriguing and excellent looking remake of an overrated movie, and a good movie in it's own right. And man am I glad they did away with the "Everyone has ESP!" concept.
What's it a remake of?
Old 10-20-02, 01:24 AM

I've seen the original Japanese Ringu, and I loved this film. I had low expectations, but they did a great job. It's far better than Signs in every way possible.
Old 10-20-02, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 162 Likes on 130 Posts
bgills: The Ring is a remake of Ring (Ringu), Japanese movie. (Which is followed by Ring 2 and Spiral, and has a prequel called Ring 0: Birthday, and also has a few TV Mini-series, all of which is based on a popular novel series)
Old 10-20-02, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

...... but someone thought Signs was scarry or was that a joke??

God, I hope it's better than 'Signs'... that movie was a giant turd.

-k
###
Old 10-20-02, 01:38 AM
Banned

I saw it tonight and thought not scarry, I thought it was very good and much better tha Signs.

Can someone tell me what their intepretation of the ending was?
Old 10-20-02, 06:45 AM

(may be spoilers--I'm not one to judge what might mess up the movie for you)

The Ring has its creepy moments and since I'm familiar with the Japanese version, I didn't miss the importance of the confusing cliffhanger at the end--I never saw the Japanese version, but I understood that removing the curse of the video had a cure...I don't think it was scary because I'm not 16 anymore and my pool of witnessed fears is a little deeper. When I say Suspiria in the theater, I walked out because I was so scared; I chuckled at The Exorcist when I saw it in my 20's; I didn't see Dawn of the Dead when if first came out because I feared the gore--when I did see it, it was gory, true, but not scary.....it depends on what you see before you lose the ability for a movie to scare you...I'm still afraid of everything that scared me when I was eight....
Old 10-20-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought THE RING was brilliant. It was creepy and quite exciting. It wasn't terrifying or scary, but highly entertaining and I'm definately going to see it again.

I'm really interested to see these Japanese flicks now...I'll have to track them down...

MATT

Oh, and if there are any people here who like to rush out of the theatre before the credits role to avoid crowds (ie. hear sweeping end music, assume movie is ending, get up and leave) please wait until the credits... People in the theatre I saw it at, left the theatre (about 10 of them) because they thought the flick was over...which it wasn't...still had about 20 minutes left (I know this cause I saw them after the theatre discussing the "ending"...which is funny, cause they missed it entirely)
Old 10-20-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No offense, but this must have been the only scary movie you have seen for it to be the scariest. Naomi was hot!! But this movie did not cut mustard, IMO. Lame acting by the supporting actors, not enough gore (I assume to get the PG-13 rating), and over reliance on material that has all been done before (are we ever going to get rid of strange little kids in this genre). The frightening scenes were always too short. Every time it started to get scary, the scene was over. I am glad I saw it, but have no desire to watch it again.
Old 10-20-02, 11:34 AM

The only part of SIGNS of I thought was geniunly creepy was
Spoiler:
the video footage of the alien in Mexico

Other than that I thought "The Ring" was superior to "Signs"
Old 10-20-02, 01:15 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can someone tell me what their intepretation of the ending was?

This is what I thought:

Spoiler:
Samara has the same instinct as her mother - to propogate herself. Since she can't do this physically, she wants to have her story be told so that she lives spiritually. So, those who see the tape and copy it/show it to someone else are spared and the curse is passed on.
Old 10-20-02, 01:40 PM

anyone notice the boom mic coming into the shot during the scene at the hospital with becky? at first it was no big deal but then it became extremely obvious when it moved back and forth between the two characters talking?

on an unrelated note i also noticed something similar in the movie Secretary.
Old 10-20-02, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by indycohiba
No offense, but this must have been the only scary movie you have seen for it to be the scariest. Naomi was hot!! But this movie did not cut mustard, IMO. Lame acting by the supporting actors, not enough gore (I assume to get the PG-13 rating), and over reliance on material that has all been done before (are we ever going to get rid of strange little kids in this genre). The frightening scenes were always too short. Every time it started to get scary, the scene was over. I am glad I saw it, but have no desire to watch it again.
No offense but if you want to see gore then go to a butcher's market or a chicken farm. Bet you find the entire Scream series thrilling. Horror movies should be about atmosphere and mood. Not the gore and breasts exposed or the capitations.

That's the problem with horror genre is the thing you are talking about. Watching horrors flicks for the babes and wanting to see mamming and carnage is predictably and unimaginative. Don't get me started on the movie rating system. Its a joke.

... and no offense taken.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.