Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ring ... Scariest Movie I'd Ever Seen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Ring ... Scariest Movie I'd Ever Seen

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-02, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So guys...Where does "The Ring" rank on your all time horror list ??
Old 10-23-02, 01:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by thematrix
Low. I doubt it would break into my top 25. Good movie, not a genre classic.
Old 10-23-02, 01:16 PM
Banned

it ranks in my top 10. there are movies that freaked my out and gave me nightmares when i was 8.....i am now 30, and i was freaked - it has to get extra points for that.
Old 10-23-02, 01:42 PM

blackfog,
This movie is easily in my top 5...I may have seen scarier movies when I was younger but I dont think they affected me quite this way...
Old 10-23-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I rank this in my top 2, probably number 1. And no, I'm not one of those people who have only seen a few 80's and 90's horror movies. I have seen just about everything in the horror genre not including the endless sequels to crappy horror movies (but even then, I've seen many of those anyway).

SPOILERS
I just watched Ringu (original Japanese version) and I wasn't too impressed with it. To people who think it is better than the U.S. version, could you explain why you think that. To me, it seemed like the Japanese version did even less explaining than the U.S. version so I think I would have been a lot more confused about the story if I hadn't seen the U.S. version first. Plus, I wasn't very fond of the acting, as I think there was both overacting and underacting in the two leads. The only aspects I liked better in the Japanese version was the added disfigurement of the demon girl (fingernails and eyeball), and that the last kill happened in a smaller apartment, making for a more clautrophobic environment. It felt like the Cliffs' Notes version of the U.S. Ring. Also, I don't think the pacing worked very well because there seemed to be far less happening (e.g. lack of mysterious occurrences besides the shot of the demon girl's feet seen by the lead male. Nothing like the U.S. where you had things like the fly on the video, choking on the medical patch thing, the horse scene of course, the stepfather's suicide, etc). And yes, I do realize that the punch of the Ringu would be diluted by having seen U.S. Ring before it, but still I think I would have been more scared seeing U.S. for the 2nd time than Ringu for the 1st time. I wish I had the opportunity to see Ringu in the theater though...

Last edited by Jamezuva; 10-23-02 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-23-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jamezuva and thematrix I think you guys may be getting a wee bit carried away. Come on now. I liked it but it didn't keep me up at night....

Last edited by JaxComet; 10-23-02 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-23-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Top 5. Definitely top 5.
Old 10-23-02, 05:48 PM
Banned

My boyfriend snuck the remote last night while I was in the bathroom and when I came out the TV was on and it was all static and then he rang the phone from the other room.
Freaky but funny too.
Old 10-23-02, 06:00 PM
Banned

The first Poltergeist was creepy to me and if you havent seen two older movies called Burnt Offerings with Karen Black and Oliver Reed and the Entity with Barbara Hershey, they are both good.

Also the Fog is always kinda eerie.
Old 10-23-02, 09:15 PM

JaxComet,
It didnt keep me up all night but I was very restless...The Adams family look just creeps me out...
Old 10-24-02, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

JaxComet,
It didnt keep me up all night but I was very restless...The Adams family look just creeps me out...

I saw it last Friday and really didn't give it much thought until someone at work brought it up on Monday morning. I guess it didn't have the same effect for me....
Old 10-24-02, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

like thematrix said, it didn't keep me up all night....no movie has been able to do that. But it has left me a little on edge (e.g. when I hear noises in my apt....it doesn't help that I live alone)...
Old 10-25-02, 09:30 PM

Just came home from seeing it and I thought it was a good movie. Scariest I've ever seen? NO, but it was very creepy and disturbing.

Only one thing really messed up the movie for me......

What the heck was up with the boom mike appearing in so many scenes?
Old 10-25-02, 09:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Carlos Villa 3
What the heck was up with the boom mike appearing in so many scenes?
I think I might have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but that was the fault of the projectionist at your theater. Next time this happens, just slip out and tell somebody and they'll get it fixed.
Old 10-25-02, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone hear about a death at one of the showing of the Ring?

Someone mentioned this to me but I hadn't heard anything. Reminds of of the Exocist when ambulances would be outside the theaters.
Old 10-26-02, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
It's been a week since I saw the ring. I'm still alive. Anyone else?
Old 10-26-02, 12:42 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been a week for me too - I went to a forum and said it was good - maybe I caused someone to see it?
Old 10-26-02, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just saw the Ring and thought it was a fantastic movie. I didn't realize how creeped out (i.e. scared like a baby) I was until, about halfway through the movie, a girl got up from her seat behind me without me noticing. As she walked out to the aisle she grabbed the back of my seat for balance and her nails scratched on the fabric making a freaky SCRRRRRTTTCHHH noise, and I almost fell out of my seat! My fiance obviously thought I was a tool, but I got her back driving home from the theater. Driving to her house we passed a long empty field on the side of the road, and there happened to be a fog rolling in across the field and onto the road. I started driving slowly and saying "Is that someone standing out there in the field???" and she started freaking! I drove slower and rolled down her window, and pointed out there were two glowing red eyes out there (radio tower in the distance). She was crying her eyes out at this point so I had to knock it off. After I dropped her off at home, I set my cell phone to private so the number wouldn't show and called her. When she answered I just said "Seven days", and hung up.

She is not very happy with me right now.
Old 10-26-02, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jeraden
I can answer #6:

Spoiler:

They do explain this early on in the film. The one girl says they were trying to record the football game using the vcr in the cabin, but when they went to view the tape it was the 'ring' video instead.
Later in the movie we find out that Samara somehow 'willed' some photographic images onto some kind of film paper (that rocking horse one, etc). So what happened was since the cabin was directly over the well, as the vcr was recording, Samara was projecting her memories/images onto that vcr tape. Thats how it was originally created. The film guy mentions later that all recording devices put on that control track to say where it come from. Since Samara did it mentally or something, it had no control track.
Also, it would have to be after her death since she only survived down there 7 days, yet was dropped down there many many years ago.
I don't think this is correct.

Spoiler:
In the beginning when the two girls are talking, the girl that has never seen the video is the one that brings up the subject. If the tape had only been made 7 days earlier and no one had died up to that point, how would she know that "If you watch it, you die 7 days later"? I think she even mentioned you can rent it in a video store? Sounds more like an urban legend that has been around for a while.
Old 10-26-02, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Otto
Spoiler:
Although I was trying to figure out what the hell the boy was talking about later.. it didn't seem to relate in any way to what actually happened.. why was he so scared? "You shouldn't have helped her" and "don't you get it, she never sleeps".. wtf? How is that a clue as to what the deal is? So she's evil, granted, but why would that information provide Naomi with any insight or reason to get scared and call the guy? I missed that, even though I understood the rest.
Spoiler:
I don't think it really shed any light on what the deal is. I think it was more or less Naomi thought the little girl was an innocent victim and was only acting out because she was brutally murdered, but the kid let her know that she was an evil little creep. This scene also helped build the suspense back up after the movie lulled you into a false sense of security after the "TV movie ending".
As far as Naomi running to the phone and rushing over the ex's house, I think it was combination of her kid telling her Samara was still around and his nose bleed that confirmed that it wasn't quite over yet, so she knew the ex was in trouble.
Old 10-26-02, 11:09 AM
Banned

Fair enough, but it seemed like it meant something.. Oh well.
Old 10-26-02, 01:47 PM

What happens if you get out of daylight savings time during the 7 days? Do you get an extra hour?
Old 10-27-02, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by homeslice
What happens if you get out of daylight savings time during the 7 days? Do you get an extra hour?
No, but if you watched the tape at exactly 2AM last Saturday you die twice.
Old 10-27-02, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Rod Thorn
Nope. Didn't even see the signs (which I know the origins of are pretty fake, in fact some guys in England showed how it is done).
What does this have to do with the movie? Is it going to lessen your enjoyment of the "Ring" remake if I tell you you can't actually die from a phone call?

Besides, it really sickens me how American studios are buying rights to foreign films only to keep them off the market for their (mostly inferior) remake. Then people praise the remake as innovative, masterful etc. when it is not only not original but often not as good as the original either.

Lastly, I'm of the opinion that horror movies that rely on shock effects do not have very much durability, because once you can predict the effect, its impact is lessened. This is why Kubrick's "The Shining" is such a classic work of horror cinema: it establishes an overall creepiness, a mood, instead of relying on instant shocks (although it does have a few of those too, and they still work quite well after repeated viewings).
Old 10-27-02, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
What does this have to do with the movie? Is it going to lessen your enjoyment of the "Ring" remake if I tell you you can't actually die from a phone call?
OK. I am glad you pointed that out. Had I known, I would not have enjoyed the movie. Excellent point. Profound.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.