Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ring ... Scariest Movie I'd Ever Seen

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Ring ... Scariest Movie I'd Ever Seen

Old 10-21-02, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 226 Likes on 175 Posts
Wonder if the scene in question here will replace The Godfather's scene in notoriety? It's not as brutal in that it shows no after effects, but is overall just as creepy if not moreso.
Old 10-21-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I find it interesting that the scene I found to be the most effective:

Spoiler:
horse on the ferry

Is actually unique to the remake, and not found in the original.

Agreed. That part really did freak me out......
Old 10-21-02, 10:42 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mikeoreva
MrN,

Spoiler:
If the little boy (can’t remember his name) was telling his mom that the Samara was not suppose to be let out or FREE,,, then whats next? Was she now a free spirit w/o the video tape and kills? So even if Samara is free or still in the water well… she will still keep killing the ones who viewd the video?
Now I know there is a JAP version of both RING1 and RING2…. Will RING2 clear this up?
Mikeoreva,

you need a closing spoiler tag in your post.

Unfortunately I haven't the Japanese original or its sequels.
But, it looks like
Spoiler:
Samara will continue to kill even though her remains have been discovered. She did kill Noah after the well incident.
Old 10-21-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 226 Likes on 175 Posts
Wonder if Dreamworks is looking to make a franchise out of this?

I hope not, but if they do I hope
Spoiler:
They keep Samara dark and foreboding and don't make her a wisecracking ghoul like Freddy Kruger. In fact, I hope they don't overuse her and put out ads like "Samara, is back!!!!" or a clip of her in the preview saying "You forgot to rewind!"
Old 10-21-02, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,065 Likes on 844 Posts
The creators commented that they didn't want to do any sequels, but of course it is Dreamwork's call.

I would laugh my ass off if they kept it in line with Ring 2, namely if they keep one o-so-hillarious (not meaningly) scene intact.
Old 10-21-02, 12:18 PM

There are quite a few plot holes running rampant in the US version, I think it could have used a much better director...Verbinski had that mess of a movie called The Mexican beforehand and he still really hasn't learned. Cinematography was interesting and unique although clearly the man saw the Six Feet Under Opening credits. Some great scenes though and a decent thriller.
Old 10-21-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RichC2
The creators commented that they didn't want to do any sequels, but of course it is Dreamwork's call.

One is enough. Remember, the original was in 1998 (The early days of DVD). The remake already seems a bit dated and unrealistic in that everyone seems to still be living in the world of VHS.....
Old 10-21-02, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Since people keep asking about this, I guess I'll say something:

Spoiler:
Rachel's journey wasn't worthless. It served to explain where the tape came from, and why it is the way it is. But it was made clear multiple times that the evil consuming Samara is everlasting, and it's going to go on killing whether her mom drops her in a well or whether Rachel "frees her spirit." The only question then is if that evil will mutate now that Samara's "free." My guess is that Aidan's reaction to Rachel helping Samara is just generic dread - "helping evil's bad ... mmkay." But it's a valid question and obvious material for a sequel.

Overall, I think some scenes have to be interpreted to be without significant meaning. The driving force is the tape. If you view Samara's tale and don't spread the word in 7 days, you'll be on the receiving end of a not-so-pleasant facial. The events surrounding this have meaning and aren't wasted time. They don't change the main story, but they help explain it. Not everything has substantial meaning, and personally, I kind of like that.

das
Old 10-21-02, 03:47 PM
Banned

My spoiler free review:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=4799
Old 10-21-02, 03:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by superstringtheory
There are quite a few plot holes running rampant in the US version
Examples?
Old 10-21-02, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Examples?
I sent you an email
Old 10-21-02, 04:50 PM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts
So, who created the tape?
Old 10-21-02, 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Geofferson
So, who created the tape?
Force of will created it. Just like those creepy x-rays.
Old 10-21-02, 05:12 PM

I really enjoyed this film, and I just got done with Chrish Hughes review of it and I do not understand what he meant with "thin motivations". Personally, I would find it rather compelling to find an answer that would save my life.
Old 10-21-02, 05:21 PM

Well, for one thing you never know 'why' for a lot of things in the film. Also, there is so much you just have to 'accept' without a definite seen on the screen.
Old 10-21-02, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
I I do not understand what he meant with "thin motivations".
Thinly motivated. In other words, some of the force of the character's actions didn't seem to match the motivations presented in the film. For instance:

Spoiler:

The father of the girl has clearly gone through the ringer (no pun) over this whole situation but why on earth does a visit from Rachel Keller send him over the edge? He himself says that reporters sometimes visit him and ask questions. He makes it sound as if shooing off reporters is a bothersome but relatively common activity. Going into fits and flops which end in suicide seems like a pretty big over reaction, at least within the context of his initial dialogue.

That's a single example. There are more. Of course, your mileage may vary. It just seemed to me that the script lacked sufficient depth and that the only actor really pulling out the stops was Ms. Watts. Just a few more connections and explanations would have sewn things up much better and made for a richer and more rewarding film.

Last edited by Surf Monkey; 10-21-02 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-21-02, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I want to know some of the examples of the plot holes as well. Send them my way
Old 10-21-02, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by movieking
How's about this one:

Spoiler:

If Rachel Keller loves her kid so much why does she seem so emotionally detached from him? The script makes a big point of showing us that the kid calls his mom Rachel but never resolves that issue. She dashes off to pursue her adventure without checking in on him. She leaves him with a baby sitter once in the film but what about the other times? The whole relationship between Rachel Keller and her son is too thin. It seems forced. It makes little sense. In fact, my impression was that all of the relationships in the movie were weakly written.

That isn't to say that a genre picture should have Bergman-like dialogue and characterizations but it does seem to me that if The Ring had just a little better script it could have risen to the level of a true classic.
Old 10-21-02, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by Surf Monkey
Thinly motivated. In other words, some of the force of the character's actions didn't seem to match the motivations presented in the film. For instance:

Spoiler:

The father of the girl has clearly gone through the ringer (no pun) over this whole situation but why on earth does a visit from Rachel Keller send him over the edge? He himself says that reporters sometimes visit him and ask questions. He makes it sound as if shooing off reporters is a bothersome but relatively common activity. Going into fits and flops which end in suicide seems like a pretty big over reaction, at least within the context of his initial dialogue.

That's a single example. There are more. Of course, your mileage may vary. It just seemed to me that the script lacked sufficient depth and that the only actor really pulling out the stops was Ms. Watts. Just a few more connections and explanations would have sewn things up much better and made for a richer and more rewarding film.
Spoiler:

I do not know, but people have commited suicide for less, there are numerous hints that he has also suffered from the girls existence. He lost his occupation horse breeding due to the girl, he lost his wife, knowing the pain that he has brought on others due to the girls existence. What we do not find out is where does the girl come from? After all her mother was not suppose to be able to have a child. This raises a question, or at least should. There was a guy at Enron who committed suicide when he knew that he job was history (this is an example why people can commit suicide.) Anyway, the film had a solid theme and plot, but even the Chinese wall can crack if one digs in it. Anyway, give me another example of thin motivation you mentioned that you had more examples. Life is interesting when others dig.
Old 10-21-02, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by movieking
Actually, one of mine was the first thin motivations surf monkey mentions I have 9 others! He nails it with saying a few fixes and it would have been a much more rewarding film.

They are basically plot devices that push the movie forward but have little way with continuity.
Old 10-21-02, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by Surf Monkey
How's about this one:

Spoiler:

If Rachel Keller loves her kid so much why does she seem so emotionally detached from him? The script makes a big point of showing us that the kid calls his mom Rachel but never resolves that issue. She dashes off to pursue her adventure without checking in on him. She leaves him with a baby sitter once in the film but what about the other times? The whole relationship between Rachel Keller and her son is too thin. It seems forced. It makes little sense. In fact, my impression was that all of the relationships in the movie were weakly written.

That isn't to say that a genre picture should have Bergman-like dialogue and characterizations but it does seem to me that if The Ring had just a little better script it could have risen to the level of a true classic.
Spoiler:
I feel that this story was based on child neglect and that Rachel was neglectful made the whole thing seem very real. Why? Well, why would a mother bring a 6 year old to the Ring? Irony isn't it? Anyway, I found this to be an interesting sideplot where Rachel discovers her own weakness, i.e., neglecting her own child. And showing that she hires a baby sitter over and over again would be tediously and boring, I thought the initial scene at the school was pretty good example of how Rachel is and the one scene with the baby sitter was necassary in order to provide a tie where the audience can understand that this is something common. It was also mentioned that her niece used to baby sit Rachel's son. Anyway, I tought that this was a pretty good contemporary ghost story about child neglect and where other things are far more important that their child. To finish this post I want to state that there were several parents with children under tha age of 7 at the theater. One even brought their infant, who was crying like crazy during the horse-ferry scene. Anyway, shoot away, let me hear your side.
Old 10-21-02, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
Spoiler:

I do not know, but people have commited suicide for less, there are numerous hints that he has also suffered from the girls existence. He lost his occupation horse breeding due to the girl, he lost his wife, knowing the pain that he has brought on others due to the girls existence. What we do not find out is where does the girl come from? After all her mother was not suppose to be able to have a child.

Spoiler:
This still does not explain it because he states also that Samara still gives him messages so the plot device is forcing Rachel to be a trigger when she clearly is not.

The girl, born of a jackal? Damienana, lol she just looks like a waif sitting in the doctors office.

They also play with Samara's parents in this regard. Which one is bad and/or crazy? The mother we only piece together briefly and the dad never seemed to want the child anyway "should never have been born". She drives those crazy who she is around yet her dad is immuned?
Old 10-21-02, 06:15 PM

I can see all the points that are made here, however, I also feel that the film purposely leaves most of what happened in the film to the audience. Meaning, we have to make sense of it ourselves while experiencing the film.
Old 10-21-02, 06:29 PM

It's one thing to have mood enhancement, all good, I can appreciate an eerie quality, however with solid movie making there is a huge noticeable difference vs. films that don't follow through when you don't make good connecting points and this is one of those latter movies. Sure, I can go to a site about the original Ring and they can lay it all out for me but truth be told, those connections are not all made in the US version.

Last edited by superstringtheory; 10-21-02 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-21-02, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't see the need for every detail to be explained. There's a difference between something flat making no sense (running upstairs when the killer is chasing you) and the viewer using common sense to fill in the gaps. This isn't a perfect film by any means, but I don't find any problems with the "holes" that people are listing. You don't need a secret decoder ring to put the pieces together -- it just doesn't hand you every single detail in a nice neat bow.

das

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.