DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The FRIDA thread (was: anyone excited about Frida?) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/240777-frida-thread-anyone-excited-about-frida.html)

hgar78 10-02-02 10:06 AM

anyone excited about Frida?

personally, i can't wait to see this film. i've followed it from the very beginning. (i remember letting out a huge sigh of relief when it was announced that j-lo was letting go of her plans for one also) and after seeing the first photos of salma in character a year or so ago i felt like they had really gotten things right. i hope that it makes money just so execs can take a look at what makes a good film (i.e listening to your filmakers) and so salma is redeemed for standing her ground regarding the production. hopefully there will be more movies like this and MBFGW (wishful hoping i know :) )now that it's approaching and the critics seem to be embracing it i'm curious who else is excited about seeing it.

cheers!

Meatpants 10-02-02 11:33 AM

I'm pretty into Mexican history and so I'm interested in seeing how this turns out, but I have to say I HATED Titus (despite what Ebert thinks about it), and the idea of Julie Taymor "interpreting" Kahlo's art is a scary one. Also, I'm not sure how the use of "name" actors in all the roles will turn out, I think it could be a bad distraction. On top of that, Salma has never really stretched herself in an American movie. I really really hope it's good, but I'm cautiously optimistic. :)

Pants 10-02-02 01:16 PM

I loved Titus so I'm looking forward to Taymor's next film

Is Antonio Banderas in this though? I pray he isn't.

Struz 10-02-02 02:49 PM

http://movieguide.netfirms.com/images/Salma%20Hayek.jpg

Salma....umm....:)

Meatpants 10-02-02 03:07 PM

Originally posted by Pants
I loved Titus so I'm looking forward to Taymor's next film

Is Antonio Banderas in this though? I pray he isn't.

He is indeed, a small part, along with Ed Norton, Ashley Judd, and Geoffrey Rush.

hgar78 10-02-02 06:37 PM

Originally posted by Meatpants
I'm pretty into Mexican history and so I'm interested in seeing how this turns out

Also, I'm not sure how the use of "name" actors in all the roles will turn out, I think it could be a bad distraction.

i totally understand, i'm an art historian so i often get defensive with projects like this...mostly because filmmakers TOTALLY screw with everything and the end product tends to be the furthest from the truth.

as for the actors, i read somewhere that she included them simply to get the studios to agree to do it. they're all her friends and she was terrified about asking them for the favor but, i don't know, i think most are pretty good (except maybe judd)

Jackskeleton 10-02-02 07:16 PM

I'm excited. though I am of mexican decent so maybe that has something to do with it. eh. I loved her art work and well, I really look forward to seeing how it turned out.

Josh-da-man 10-02-02 11:19 PM

Yes, I'm interested. Kahlo is a fascinating figure.

And I've heard Salma puts her lovely body on display frequently.

Of course, she'll likely be sporting a uni-brow...

...but it won't be her face I'll be paying attention to. :drool:

jfoobar 11-11-02 08:42 PM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Of course, she'll likely be sporting a uni-brow...

...but it won't be her face I'll be paying attention to. :drool:

It should be, because the woman would be lovely even if she were an A-cup.

Oh, and gratuitous (pun intended) bump of this thread since the film is now in theaters.

BDB 12-16-02 12:53 AM

so anyone apart from me seen this, just saw it tonight

Autotelik 12-16-02 01:56 AM

Saw it a couple of weeks back. I wasn't too thrilled with it; thought it was just above average. The trailer makes it out to be much better than it is (IMO). I didn't know much about Frida before watching the movie, and I thought the movie tried to do too much to chronicle her life (with so many extraordinary events) in 120minutes. With so many things happening, it's hard to pay attention to it all and not feel bored after a while. However, what really does stand out in the entire movie is her marriage. What I really enjoyed in the film was watching the relationship progress- from "loyalty" and hope to disappointment and "betrayal". That part of the movie, and along with the wonderful sets, were wonderful.