Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Frailty-Fantastic!!!!

Old 09-19-02, 12:02 PM

Frailty-Fantastic!!!!

Enough said. I watched it last night and loved it. How did it get a "R" rating??? The subject matter was dark, but there was no actual gore or images of gore. The most blood was the son's hands after digging.
Old 09-19-02, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree...great movie. I predicted some of the "surprises" towards the end but a few really got me. The performances and the direction were excellent.

The subject matter and the tone of the movie were definitely enough to give it an "R" rating in my opinion. While there wasn't much gore, the film is much too intense for kids. I think the rating was completely appropriate.
Old 09-19-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is so far the best movie of 2002 IMO. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

When I first heard about this movie being directed be Bill Paxton, I thought "oh great, that clown". I was very impressed with the way this movie turned out.
Old 09-20-02, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll have to rent it.
Old 09-20-02, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"R" rating??. The rating on the back of my dvd has 14a on it. Maybe the Canadian rating is different than the US.
Old 09-20-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I want to see this one, too.

Moving to Movie Talk Forum.

- David Stein
Old 09-20-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Frailty-Fantastic!!!!

Originally posted by Berkowitz
How did it get a "R" rating??? The subject matter was dark, but there was no actual gore or images of gore. The most blood was the son's hands after digging.
I found this movie to be quite dark and even disturbing.
Spoiler:
Young boys watching their father brutaly murder people and chop up their body?
That is not PG13 stuff. Seeing blood is not the only criteria for an R rating. IMHO, this movie was extremely violent, despite the lack of "images of gore".

Last edited by Blake; 09-20-02 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-20-02, 11:39 PM

Very good film. One of the better thrillers of recent years.
Old 09-21-02, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What's interesting is that I saw it in the theater earlier this year and then on dvd a few days ago, the second time you watch it is like watching a completely different movie
Spoiler:
and you feel sorry for "Dad" because he loves his son so much and can't deal with the the fact that his son (Fenton) is a demon but the whole time you watch the movie the first time all you think is poor fenton and adam, their father is crazy and he's forcing his kids to kill. Also, do you think its possible that the whole situation is what made Fenton become a murderer in his adult life?
Old 09-21-02, 11:58 PM

Samuel,

Here are my thoughts on the movie that I posted in the other Frailty thread. See if any of it makes sense in regards to your question.
Spoiler:
Fenton wasn't killing "demons" as was his father and brother. He was killing for pure pleasure as he was a demon himself. Fenton didn't see God when he was locked in the cellar. He was actually visited by Satan who was his "god" since he was an evil person. So when he told his father he was visited by god he was not lying. His god told him to kill his father not to stop him from killing "people" but to stop him from killing more of Satan's followers. Fenton tries to draw out his brother to kill him because he is one of God's chosen warriors.
It has been said that the Devil will temp and corrupt you when you are at your weakest and most vulnerable. Certainly Fenton was in this state after being locked in the cellar for long. The angel or God perhaps had the ability to forsee this and tried to warn the Dad when the angel told him his son was a demon. Since Fenton had yet to commit any evil deed at that point his Dad did not see anything when he laid his hands on him. Naturally the Dad, since he saw no "truth" when touching his son, thought the angel must be mistaken. Unknowingly, by locking his son in the cellar, the Dad fulfilled the angel's prophecy. In Fenton's weakened state Satan convinced him of his role in life and told him to kill his Father. Again, these are just my thoughts on the movie.
Old 09-22-02, 12:34 AM

I wasn't going to even give this one a rent. With fellow DVDtalkers giving it good reviews, I think I'll give it a try!
Old 09-22-02, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

this movie was selling at my local walmart for $13.84 and for that price, i figured i'd try it out. what a great movie!!! like some of you, i could kinda of see how the movie was going but it was the best horror/suspense movie that i've ever seen especially given the major lack of blood and gore.
Old 09-22-02, 06:05 AM
Banned

Saw it for the first time the other night and I loved it. Great movie and its the type that stays with you for a few days.
Very disturbing movie to watch at times but you get a great pay off.

Funny, but I thought it was better and more effective than signs.

What kind of business did this movie due and when was it in theatres?
I am going to buy it.
Old 09-23-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You guys are all so right!

Am I crazy to think that this movie should be considered come Oscar time? Not necessarily for Best Picture, but maybe a few others (Director, Screenplay, Cinematography, even Supporting Actor -- the kid who played Fenton was amazing).
Old 09-23-02, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:
I think this movie was the best movie of I have seen in a long time. It was torn between what I believe in and what might be construed as religious fanatism. Did anyone catch all the 7's that appeared throughout the movie. 7 I have been told is the number of completion in numerology. 7 names, 7 days in the cellar. Did anyone else think that Dad( god) Adam(jesus) Fenton( satan/lucifer) Or possibly the holy spirit. Dunno? What do you think. They movie totally blew my mind. I loved it, I am so happy that movie can be so emotionally violent w/o showing physically horror.
Old 09-23-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

tha part that freaked me out was when
Spoiler:
The younger kid came at the biker looking guy with the axe, after the older kid took the gag out of his mouth.

I jumped.
Old 09-23-02, 09:17 PM
Suspended

I just watched Frailty and I thought it was just plain excelent, best movie I've seen in a long time. I always kinda liked Bill Paxon but he did a heluva directing job.

But one thing that has me wondering is...

Spoiler:
In the beginning I could have sworn they showed grown up fenton blowing his brains out, but Adam killed him? Did I miss something?
Old 09-24-02, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by necros
I just watched Frailty and I thought it was just plain excelent, best movie I've seen in a long time. I always kinda liked Bill Paxon but he did a heluva directing job.

But one thing that has me wondering is...

Spoiler:
In the beginning I could have sworn they showed grown up fenton blowing his brains out, but Adam killed him? Did I miss something?

That was the story he was telling the FBI guy...
Old 09-24-02, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by d2cheer

You beat me too it.
Old 09-26-02, 01:25 PM
Banned

I watched this one last night and was disappointed. I expected an extremely dark, intense horror/thriller. For some reason, Bill Paxton's performance (both as actor & director) was unsatisfying, and much of the plot was unoriginal and predictable. It seemed like the movie wanted to be "The Shining" but couldn't equal the pacing and atmosphere of that film.

Also, Bill Paxton clearly needs to hone his directing chops. One shot of the son running down the street, for example, was unintentionally funny and distracted from the tone of the movie.

If I had to grade it, I'd give this one 2-2.5 stars out of 4, but expecting a 3+ or better. Rent but don't buy!!!
Old 09-27-02, 01:59 AM
Banned

That is the first review that I have read that states the film was predictable and unoriginal. I liked it much better than the Shining and it goes on my top ten list for the year. Maybe you caught a Murder She Wrote episode instead dude.
Old 09-27-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cooper2000
That is the first review that I have read that states the film was predictable and unoriginal. I liked it much better than the Shining and it goes on my top ten list for the year. Maybe you caught a Murder She Wrote episode instead dude.
Really? There was a whole thread about it here:
http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=237536
Old 09-27-02, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by d2cheer
“The name’s Buzz’n. Buzz’n Frog! Just came down from Whiskerdoodle, just south of…Salty Shrimp.”

(Oh yeah. I'm gonna buy this flick and I don't buy a lot of flicks.)
Old 10-03-02, 12:38 PM
Banned

I'm glad you liked it so much "dude."
Old 10-05-02, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by cooper2000
So I watched this tonight...

Personally, I thought (and for some reason, using "personally" and "i thought" together sounds kinda redundant, but you get the idea) that the movie was predictable (we paused it midway through and correctly predicted the ending
Spoiler:
or at least that "Fenton" was really Adam, that the FBI guy killed his wife, that Adam would kill him, etc.. Didn't predict that Fenton was killing innocent people
(my first spoiler!), but the idea of the film was pretty original.

In reading the thread, I've rethought some of the film & I appreciate it more for the symbolism (usage of 7's) and the whole concept of
Spoiler:
Satan (do you use a capital 'S' on Satan?) as the higher (lower) power for Fenton

I'd have to put it in the best of 2002 list, but it might say more about the lack of great 2002 films (or at least a lack of me seeing great films this year)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.