Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Cremaster"? (no, not pr0n)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-11-02, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone see any installments in this series? A co-worker of mine came across a showing in New York a few months ago and brought it to my attention. It just looks odd.

The Gene Siskel Film Center in Chicago is showing the last installment "Cremaster 3" this weekend. I'm probably going to check it out regardless. I just wanted to see if anyone had any words of warning, praise or I don't know.

Here's the blurb from the Film Center's web site:

Matthew Barney's CREMASTER series has taken on a legendary stature. This final piece in the 5-part cycle is the longest, densest complex -- filled with beautiful, mystifying images, many of them harkening back to themes the artist has already established. Much of the action takes place in two New York landmarks, the Chrysler Building and the Guggenheim Museum,as well as at the Saratoga Racetrack (upstate NY), the Giant's Causeway (Ireland) and Fingal's cave (the Scottish Isle of Staffa). Barney plays the Entered Apprentice and his opponents include the Order of the Rainbow for Girls (who look a lot like the Rockettes), Agnostic Front and Murphy's Law (two New York Hardcore bands), Aimee Mullins, and Richard Serra. Molten Vaseline, dental surgery, a demolition derby by vintage Chrysler Imperial New Yorker cars and a gorgeous creature who is half-cheetah/half woman all figure in this latest edition of Matthew Barney's fever dream.

Description courtesy of Film Forum
link
Old 09-11-02, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
I've always wanted to see them, but never had the opportunity. "Filmmaker" magazine had a cover story on the last installment a few months ago, and the photos were stunning. I'd definitely check it out if I were you.
Old 09-11-02, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I'm definitely down for this one, should be a time.

and from dictionary.com:

cremaster

n. 1. (Anat.) A thin muscle which serves to draw up the testicle.

2. The apex of the last abdominal segment of an insect.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.
Old 09-11-02, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
Some good stuff here: http://www.pbs.org/art21/artists/barney/
Old 09-11-02, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curious myself. Images look great, and this type of 'visionary' film is not easy to come by in this day and age. Of course, he's not distributed well. It's amazing they even get made.
Old 11-02-02, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw cremaster 3 last night at the hirshhorn in D.C. I went in for the reasons stated above: curiosity and a feeling that it may be my only chance. For anyone that has the opportunity to see this one, I really recommend it as long as you read a bit about it beforehand because it's pretty far from the mainstream. I didn't find it slow-moving at all, it was really quite fascinating and riveting even though I'm still not sure what it was all about. I'd love to see the other cremaster films and see how they all fit together (if they do at all). This is a film that will take a while to digest and I'm sure it'll be on my mind for quite a while.

Last edited by Eeyore; 11-03-02 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-02-02, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well worth your time, I have not seen 3 supposed to be fairly horrific- but the first 2 installments 4 and 5 are strange, surreal dreamlike visages that focus on sculpture -architecture, as metaphors for the human body. Highly curious and sure to evoke a sense of boredom in some(most americans) but for the brave film lover they offer unparralleled creativity and boundary breaking. Art in the true sense of the word.