Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Deuce Bigalow 2. im ready for it!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-05, 11:03 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in the mood for a good silly comedy. hope its as good/bad as the first. ebert just gave it zero stars.
Old 08-12-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Yeah. I saw the Ebert review. Makes me want to see it even more. He hated the last one too, and gave it zero stars, IIFC.

I enjoy these mindless comedies, so this should be great.
Old 08-12-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ay, 3% on the tomato site, 0% from the creamy.
Old 08-12-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I can't wait Loved the first one, and i know i'll get a lot of laughs from this.
Old 08-12-05, 01:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm sure this is going to get shown ad nauseum on HBO next summer - I'm gonna save my money and not see this in the theatre.
Old 08-12-05, 01:04 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Yeah. I saw the Ebert review. Makes me want to see it even more. He hated the last one too, and gave it zero stars, IIFC.
He gave it 1 and a half stars, so I suppose it's a virtual masterpiece compared to the sequel.

No doubt Ebert's zero-star review is more entertaining than the film itself:
Speaking in my official capacity as a Pulitzer Prize winner, Mr. Schneider, your movie sucks.
Old 08-12-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I always want to not like the movies, then they start cracking me up when I see them. Hopefully this is moron the same.
Old 08-12-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm ready for it too! Ready to not see it!

That line is funnier than anything Rob Schneider has ever done.
Old 08-12-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this today...i am a fan of the original but this was pretty terrible aside from a few funny scenes.
Old 08-12-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Considering the only reason why Rob Schneider still has a job acting is because he's friends with Adam Sandler...you couldn't pay me to watch this crud.

Anybody who saw this already, is it safe to say that Ebert's review was funnier then the entire movie put together?
Old 08-13-05, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I want to see it but can't convince anyone else to go with me so I'll have to see Wedding Crashers tomorrow instead.
Old 08-13-05, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
From the ad, it seems that the gimmick is the same: show him getting set up with a series of women who each have something "wrong" with them. I wonder what the odds are that one of them will turn out to be just fine and Deuce will have an actual relationship with her?

The only thing I remember that was funny about the first one was how the pimp would eat food in the hot tub. The food would fall in and he would just pick it up and eat it.
Old 08-13-05, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
The only thing I remember that was funny about the first one was how the pimp would eat food in the hot tub. The food would fall in and he would just pick it up and eat it.
The scene where he dates the girl with tourette's syndrome was the best part of the film.
Old 08-13-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, the movie had it's moments. The major problem with the film (besides the lackluster, who gives a shit plot) is that they really went for some seriously low brow gross out humour...now don't get me wrong, the first movie was low brow, but not this low...and most of these gross out gags just don't work. Eddie Griffin was the highlight of the first flick, but only has a few good moments here, and sadly has many that just miss the mark entirely.

Lots of the "freaks" Deuce has to date are rehashes from the first film or just cross the line too far to be funny... I'd rather see how Deucy does with some NORMAL looking ladies...I think there could have been some comedy gold mined there. The direction was scattershot and the pace was sorely lacking. There were a few good cameos, but even those weren't as good as they could have been (Norm McDonald, Oded etc.) and I really didn't think the "meat sauce" gag was funny at all...and they hit it like 3 times!

Overall, it had enough laughs I didn't feel jipped of my $4, but it was nowhere near as good as the first flick and I think it had potential to be a really fun romp but just ends up a mediocre retread.

MATT

The Canadian bit had me in stitches though :P
Old 08-13-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Considering the only reason why Rob Schneider still has a job acting is because he's friends with Adam Sandler...you couldn't pay me to watch this crud.
And ... uhhh ... maybe because the first Deuce was a pretty big hit - which is rather rare for R-rated movies these days. His other two movies, The Hot Chick and The Animal were also pretty big hits.

So I say GOOD for Adam Sandler for getting Rob into the business. He's made a lot of people a lot of money. And his movies are pretty popular among the high school / frat house crowd.

And Rob Schneider KNOWS what he's doing. He's very self aware. He's injects a lot of self-deptricating humor in his interviews and whatnot. He never BITTERLY makes a comment (like the ones against the Academy, or that guy that Ebert mentions). It's all in good fun.
Old 08-13-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Ebert doesn't like Schneider. I heard them arguing with each other on the Howard Stern show, so there's no way he would give any Schneider movie a positive review.
Old 08-13-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Ebert doesn't like Schneider. I heard them arguing with each other on the Howard Stern show, so there's no way he would give any Schneider movie a positive review.
I would like to think that any professional reviewer, Ebert especially, would be able to put his or her personal tiffs aside.
Old 08-13-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
No one else has given this a positive review either. This release will be forgotten by next weekend.
Old 08-13-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
No one else has given this a positive review either. This release will be forgotten by next weekend.
Yeah, but consider how much this cost to make. Probably about $30 million or so. It'll make that back in Box Office and then cash in on DVD.
Old 08-13-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I would like to think that any professional reviewer, Ebert especially, would be able to put his or her personal tiffs aside.
I would too, but he spends twice as much time in his reviewer attacking Schnieder than actually reviewing the movie. Ebert can be quite eloquent in reviewing movies that are great and movies that are horribly bad, but in this case he almost came off like a board poster.
Old 08-13-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll probably end up checking this out.
Old 08-13-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, but consider how much this cost to make. Probably about $30 million or so. It'll make that back in Box Office and then cash in on DVD.
I once thought the same about The Island and look how that turned out. With the low boxoffice this year, this could be a fun one to watch bomb!
Old 08-13-05, 11:16 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
I once thought the same about The Island and look how that turned out. With the low boxoffice this year, this could be a fun one to watch bomb!
Schneider said on Stern that he expected the film to open in the mid "twenties."

It doesn't look like that's gonna happen.
Old 08-14-05, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
How can you even compare the two movies? The Island costs at least $120mil. Deuce probably didn't even cost $30mil. Even if it gets $10mil opening weekend, it will turn a decent profit.
Old 08-14-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by scott shelton
Schneider said on Stern that he expected the film to open in the mid "twenties."

It doesn't look like that's gonna happen.
Yet, it will still make it's money back and then some.

Just got back from a showing of it. Not nearly as good as the first. Some good humor, but the first 20-30 minutes has very few laughs. Good cameos from the 1st movie, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.