Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

S1m0ne = Med10cre At Best

Old 08-23-02, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

S1m0ne = Med10cre At Best

Just saw it.

Not that good. Stoic performances and lame plot points.

Save your money.
Old 08-23-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't even use the free passes I had.
That's how little interest I had.
Old 08-24-02, 01:42 AM

Not very interested here. I try and see Pacino films whenever possible, but I'll probably pass on this one.
Old 08-24-02, 02:47 AM

I guess you guys aren't the only people not interested. I worked tonight during the opening. All of the shows combined didn't make up 100 people. But it was released in late August, so I didn't really expect it to be busy.
Old 08-24-02, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was waiting for this film with great anticipation but now that the surprisingly lukewarm reviews have started creeping in, I have lost most of my interest. I still want to see it, of course, but I'm severly disappointed. The trailer made it look quite brilliant.

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 08-24-02 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-24-02, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This never really grabbed my attention. It looked like it would be the type of movie they played on expanded cable - like a TNT original movie or something. I always planned to wait till this showed up on TV rather than go see it or rent it or buy the DVD.

It seems like the kind of movie you could cast any of the following people instead of Al Pacino and it would be the same movie in the end:

Brendan Frasier
Danny DeVito
Billy Crystal
Robin Williams

I haven't seen it though, so I have no opinion on the quality of the film yet.
Old 08-24-02, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
I was waiting for this film with great anticipation but now that the surprisingly lukewarm reviews have started creeping in, I have lost most of my interest. I still want to see it, of course, but I'm severly disappointed. The trailer made it look quite brilliant.
Exactly what has happened to me........
Old 08-24-02, 04:40 PM

<<>>

I am sorry to read such a comment. Losing interest in a film because of reviews from other people is ridiculous. Watch the film and make your own opinion. Most of the time when I listen to a reviewer or critic I have come out dissapointed. If they say the movie was great it usually sucks and if they say its terrible I usually love the movie.
Old 08-24-02, 05:58 PM

As no-one has since posted their thoughts upon actually watching the film, I guess I'll pipe in my 2 cents.

I had been eagerly anticipating this film, as I am a great fan of Andrew Niccol's work from "The Truman Show" and "Gattaca", both of which I have much, much love for. Even after reading middling and mixed reviews, I was still pumped, with much faith that he would pull it off.

Went to the theater 1/2 hr. early last night, expecting an opening night rush. We get in the theater, and there's literally 10 people scattered over the biggest theater the 'plex has. The movie starts. If anything, this movie has got to win SOMETHING for its cinematography. The director of photography should be very proud, as even the "film within the film" segments are absolutely gorgeous and have subtle homages to Niccol's previously mentioned films. While many people complain that the acting is flat, the script cliched and unfunny. I have no idea where these people were coming from. This movie was FUNNY. And not in just a "ha-ha" kind of way. There is a scene about 1/2 way through the film showing an audience's reaction to a film by the title character that is just so dead-on in its portrayal of Hollywood today, that the admission alone is with it for that one scene.
Also, the film has a supporting role by one Jason Schwartzman, someone who I will forever respect (no matter how many "Slackers" he makes) for what he did in "Rushmore". Here, he is hilariously perfect in his role as a paparazzi photographer obsessed with Simone.

I truly cannot understand why the film is garnering such bad reviews. I really can't. Though I can't guarantee any of you will love the film as much as I did, I think you should go see it in the theater and not wait for the DVD. Even if the story doesn't appeal to you, the cinematography, alone, is worth it.

Having a perfect track record so far in my book, I honestly can't wait to see what Andrew Niccol does next.

Just my 2 pennies.
Old 08-24-02, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Simone is a funny satire. I was laughing at the twists and turns of the development of the creation and use of Simone (a CGI actress) in films by a director named Viktor Taransky.

The audience I was with got most the subtle jokes and commentary on the whole relationship between the public and celebrities that exists as a social phenomena of the 20th century and beyond.

I think Niccol was poking fun at how the adoring public not only becomes enthralled with celebrities, but is also awfully forgiving of celebrities' shortcomings and un-PC pronouncements as a sign of "individuality".

In essence, a good movie that offers something to chew on after you've seen it.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.
Old 08-24-02, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A local reviewer gave it the highest review he has ever given a film. For some reason it really struck a cord with him. However, in general the reviews have been bad. It seems like the kind of movie you either get or you don't. Probably no middle ground on this one.
Old 08-24-02, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like long movies whether their boring or whatever but this needed to be shortened.

Pacing was terrible. It had cool Hollywood in-jokes and things.

Pacino was funny. The daughter (from ONce and Again) was also very good.

Keener played the same role she usually does but she's good doing that.

Winona Ryder enjoyable in her small role.

2 hrs. is too much. About 15 or 20 minutes should've been chopped.

Wait to rent this. My theatre was almost empty as well on a friday night.

did have some funny stuff though.
Old 08-24-02, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by darkside
It seems like the kind of movie you either get or you don't. Probably no middle ground on this one.
Probably the reason it won't do good in theaters. I loved it, thought it was very well written and acted. But to each his own I guess. Click "My Site" for a full review.
Old 08-24-02, 10:59 PM

I really enjoyed it. It was something different and original, which can't be said for many hollywood movies these days.
Old 08-25-02, 05:15 AM

I couldn't even give away free tickets here. Anyways , It seemed liked they edited the ending to the movie.
Spoiler:
Since simone said Hank's name in the awards speech , the tapes missing in the chest, I thought Hank was alive. Instead the director switches the daughter saving the day and Simone having a baby?

what the hell??

Make sure you stay for outakes. I remember at the Premirer everyone left before the outakes,even Pacino. LOL

Rental
Old 08-25-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the movie was pretty good. Not to the high level of quality of Niccol's other work, but a decent comedy. A lot could have been done better, but much more could have been done worse. Although I do agree the ending is pretty idiotic.

Catch 21, what were the outtakes like? I left the theater before the end of the credits too.
Old 08-26-02, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by Catch 21
Make sure you stay for outakes. I remember at the Premirer everyone left before the outakes,even Pacino. LOL

Rental
There aren't any outakes. At least not at my theatre.
Old 08-26-02, 04:25 AM

There is, indeed, a little scene post-credits for those who decide to stay.

Spoiler:
It shows Al Pacino with a digital camera at a supermarket, using string to invisibly pull and push a shopping cart, open a freezer door, and take out a frozen dinner. Later, we see Simone digitally inserted into the scene. Cut to the fat paparazzi reporter who kissed her toothbrush earlier in the film saying something to the effect of "Chicken pot pie. I love that woman so much."
Old 08-27-02, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is off topic, but don't you just hate it when people spell things with numbers and mix upper and lower case letters in there to boot.

ie: S1m0ne = Med10cre

why can't you just say Simone=Mediocre? It's just freakin annoying.

Ok, back on topic...I don't think I need to see this movie in the theater, but I'm sure I'll rent it. I'm not a huge Pacino fan though.
Old 08-27-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Zodo
This is off topic, but don't you just hate it when people spell things with numbers and mix upper and lower case letters in there to boot.

ie: S1m0ne = Med10cre

why can't you just say Simone=Mediocre? It's just freakin annoying.

Ok, back on topic...I don't think I need to see this movie in the theater, but I'm sure I'll rent it. I'm not a huge Pacino fan though.
Actually I believe that the posters for "Simone" actually read S1m0ne. The ones and zeros are supposed to be a joke that the girl is a computer. At least that is what I inferred from the trailers. I could be wrong though.
Old 08-27-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mittman

Actually I believe that the posters for "Simone" actually read S1m0ne. The ones and zeros are supposed to be a joke that the girl is a computer. At least that is what I inferred from the trailers. I could be wrong though.

y0u are r1ght.
Old 08-27-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Blake
Probably the reason it won't do good in theaters. I loved it, thought it was very well written and acted. But to each his own I guess. Click "My Site" for a full review.

I loved it too.

The people in the theater laughed their asses off and I even saw an old friend who was in the same showing and he loved it too.

I mut admit, I though "Simone" was fugly...but that's what ya'll like I guess.
Old 08-28-02, 11:47 AM

Glad to see there are a couple good words in here about it. I generally enjoy any movie with Al Pacino, but this one was worrying me because all I really heard about it were a few crap reviews. Not sure if this will be worth $8.00, but I don't think there is anything else out ATM that looks any better to me.
Old 08-28-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just wondering since I can't get a hold of the trailer, but is S1m0ne supposed to be computer animated or a robot? If she's computer animated is she really computer animated in the movie, or just played by an actress pretending to be computer animated?
If she's all digital then that's incentive to go see it for me.
Old 02-03-03, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the DVD tonight. I had previously stayed away from any reviews of the movie or threads on the movie online mainly because I didn't want any spoilers before I saw it, so I had no idea at all that this movie wasn't recieved well at the theater. But I knew I would want to see it, since I was a tremendous fan of both Gattaca and Truman Show, two of my most favorite movies from the 90's. Both had a great impact on me, Gattaca in a more dramatic way, but it still made me realize that I would see Simone no matter what was said about it, so I just didn't pay any attention to what was being said about it.

I found myself laughing out loud at several parts in this movie. I didn't find myself really liking Pachino in a comedic role in this movie, but it wasn't a stumbling block, but I agree with some of the comments about the performances. But I don't think it was bad, either. It was a funny, smart satire that hit a home run, in my book.

After I watched it, I thought, "Well, let's see what people said about this when it came out." and I read remarks how people hated the ending of the movie. I thought that having Simone make a move to
Spoiler:
politics
was so brilliant. What better way to set up a hilarious sequel? A sequel that, sadly, we will probably never see since it seems this movie wasn't recieved well at all. But I would have loved to see where Nichols would have gone with that. It could have been the best
Spoiler:
political satire since Wag the Dog.
That is if he was thinking of going in that direction with a sequel, I have no idea.

The plot holes keep it from being a great movie tho. Funny, smart, and good, yes, but the missing files and hard discs from the chest baffle me. It suggest that somebody was on to Pachino and stole the computer discs, and made me wonder if a second Simone would later appear. I wonder if there was supposed to be a sequel tying that loose thread up? But if this movie is to be stand alone, then that was a glaring hole that I thought was impossible to over look. Other than that, I would recommend it to any fan of Nichols work, and I will gladly put it next to Truman Show on my shelf and watch this repeatedly.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.