Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Favorite Movie Quotes

Old 08-04-02, 03:29 PM

Favorite Movie Quotes

Russell: "You want my opinion?"
Jerry: "Will I like it?"
Russell: "Well, of course not! It'll be based in reality!"

Sliding Doors (1996)

"Should I bolt every time I get that feeling in my gut when I meet someone new? Well, I've been listening to my gut since I was 14 years old, and frankly speaking, I've come to the conclusion that my guts have **** for brains."

"Sometimes I got so bored of trying to touch her breast that I would try to touch her between her legs. It was like trying to borrow a dollar, getting turned down, and asking for 50 grand instead."

"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"

High Fidelity (2000)

"She's gone. She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen."

Say Anything... (1989)

I know it's barely a start and I have three from one movie and... I'm starting to get stuck on John Cusack films, but hey, what are ya gonna do? Please, feel free to submit your favorite quotes, ones that seem to ring through your head at either the most appropriate or inappropriate times during a single day. Or just ones you love. And remember, have fun people! Please?!
Old 08-04-02, 03:34 PM

Look at my sig
Old 08-04-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of stuff from Fight Club
Old 08-04-02, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Life's a struggle, baby. From the womb to the tomb."-Sweet Sweetback's [email protected]$$$$$ Song

"When you have to shoot, SHOOT! Don't talk"-The Good,The Bad,and The Ugly

"I only came hear to do two things tonight..Drink some beer and kick some @$$ ...Looks like we're almost out of beer."-Dazed and Confused

"No reason.....I just LIKE doin' things like dat!"-The Warriors

"A drug person can learn to handle such things as seeing their dead grandmother crawling up their leg with a knife in her teeth. But no one should be asked to deal with this trip."-Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

"Son, you've got a panty on your head"-Raising Arizona

"Man, move over and let me pass, 'fore Imma have ta pull these hushpuppies out yo mutha_______ ___!"-Dolemite

"Manolo, Choot that piece a chit"-Scarface

"HELP MEEEE!"-Mullholland Dr.

"That's entertainment!"-Raging Bull
Old 08-04-02, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There are just soooooooo many which come to mind that the hardest thing was to stop adding them. I got these directly from the IMDb for better accuracy.

Captain Blood (1935) ~ Dr. Peter Blood: Up the riggings, you monkeys! Break out those sails and watch them fill with the wind that's carrying us all to freedom!

Sunset Blvd. (1950) ~ Max Von Mayerling: She was the greatest of them all. You wouldn't know, you're too young. In one week she received 17,000 fan letters. Men bribed her hairdresser to get a lock of her hair. There was a maharajah who came all the way from India to beg one of her silk stockings. Later he strangled himself with it!

Frankenstein (1931) ~ Henry Frankenstein: Look! It's moving. It's alive. It's alive... It's alive, it's moving, it's alive, it's alive, it's alive, it's alive, IT'S ALIVE!

Dracula (1931) ~ Count Dracula: Listen to them. Children of the night. What music *they* make!

Wolf Man, The (1941) ~ Sir John Talbot: Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms. And the autumn moon is bright.

Witness for the Prosecution (1957) ~ Sir Wilfrid:[/B] Be prepared for hysterics and even a fainting spell. Better have smelling salts handy and a nip of brandy.
Christine Vole: I do not think that will be necessary. I never faint because I am not sure that I will fall gracefully and I never use smelling salts because they puff up the eyes. I am Christine Vole.

Bringing Up Baby (1938) ~ Mrs. Random: Well, you look perfectly idiotic in those clothes.
David: These aren't my clothes.
Mrs. Random: Well, where are your clothes?
David: I've lost my clothes!
Mrs. Random: But why are you wearing *these* clothes?
David: Because I just went gay all of a sudden!

Topper (1937) ~ Marion Kerby: Let's go have some dinner.
Cosmo Topper: Oh no, we cannot eat on an empty stomach!
Marion Kerby: Then we better have a few drinks first!

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) ~ Reverend Harper:[ Have you ever tried to persuade him that he wasn't Teddy Roosevelt?
Abby Brewster: Oh, no.
Martha Brewster: Oh, he's so happy being Teddy Roosevelt.
Abby Brewster: Oh... Do you remember, Martha, once, a long time ago, we thought if he'd be George Washington, it would be a change for him, and we suggested it.
Martha Brewster: And do you know what happened? He just stayed under his bed for days and wouldn't be anybody.

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) ~ Mortimer Brewster: Insanity runs in my family... It practically gallops.

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) ~ Jonathan Brewster: He wouldn't have died of pneumonia if I hadn't shot him.

Rear Window (1954) ~ L.B. "Jeff" Jefferies: Why does a man leave his house three times on a rainy night and comes back three times?
Lisa Carol Fremont: Maybe he likes the way his wife welcomes him home.

Harvey (1950) ~ Elwood P. Dowd: Here, let me give you one of my cards. Now if you should want to call me, use this number. This other one is the old number.

Harvey (1950) ~ Elwood P. Dowd: Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

Rope (1948) ~ Brandon: Nobody commits murder just for the experience of committing it. Nobody except us.

Destry Rides Again (1939) ~ Washington 'Wash' Dimsdale: [Having sworn in his new deputy] Here's your badge. Don't let anybody see it.

After the thin Man (1936) ~ Nick Charles: You see, when it comes to words like that, an illiterate person--
Polly Byrnes: Whaddaya mean "illiterate"? My father and mother were married right here in the city hall!

After the thin Man (1936) ~ Nick Charles: Come on. Let's get something to eat. I'm thirsty.

The Thin Man (1934) ~ Nora Charles: Waiter, will you serve the nuts? I mean, will you serve the guests the nuts?

The Thin Man (1934) ~ Nick Charles: I'm a hero. I was shot 2 times in the Tribune.
Nora Charles: I read where you were shot 5 times in the tabloids.
Nick Charles: It's not true. He didn't come anywhere near my tabloids.

Soylent Green (1973) ~ Det. Thorn: Soon they'll be breeding us like cattle! You've got to warn everyone and tell them! Soylent green is made of people! You've got to tell them! Soylent green is people!

Black Cat, The (1934) ~ Hjalmar Poelzig: The phone is dead. Do you hear that Vitus? Even the phone is dead.

Ninotchka (1939) ~ Ninotchka: We don't have men like you in my country.
Leon: Thank you.
Ninotchka: That is why I believe in the future of my country.

Ninotchka (1939) ~ Count Leon D'Algout: Do you like me just a little bit?
Ninotchka: Your general appearance is not distasteful.

Ninotchka (1939) ~ Ninotchka: The last mass trials were a great success. There are going to be fewer but better Russians.

Ninotchka (1939) ~ Leon: A Russian! I love Russians! Comrade, I've been fascinated by your five-year plan for the last fifteen years.

Ninotchka (1939) ~ Ninotchka: What have you done for mankind?
Leon: Not so much for mankind...for womankind, my record isn't quite so bleak.

Ninotchka (1939) ~ Iranoff: We can say whatever we want. We can shout! We can complain! Look: "THE SERVICE IN THIS HOTEL IS TERRIBLE!" See? Nobody comes, nobody pays any attention! That's freedom.
Bujlianoff: That's bad management.

Ninotchka (1939) ~ Ninotchka: Must you flirt?
Count Leon d'Algout: Well, I don't have to, but I find it natural.
Ninotchka: Suppress it.

Grand Hotel (1932) ~ Grusinskaya: I want to be alone.

Grand Hotel (1932) ~ Dr. Otternschlag: Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Grand Hotel (1932) ~ Preysing: I don't know much about women. I've been married for 28 years, you know.

Anna Christie (1930) ~ Anna Christie: Gif me a visky, ginger ale on the side, and don' be stingy, baby.

Maltese Falcon, The (1941) ~ Sam Spade: When you're slapped, you'll take it and like it.

Maltese Falcon, The (1941) ~ Sam Spade: I hope they don't hang you, precious, by that sweet neck. The chances are you'll get off with life. That means if you're a good girl, you'll be out in 20 years. I'll be waiting for you. If they hang you... I'll always remember you.

My Favorite Brunette (1947) ~ Ronnie Jackson: Uh oh, her schizo's about to phrenia!

Being There (1979) ~ Chance:[Riding in a car for the first time] This is just like television, only you can see much further.

Being There (1979) ~ Chance the Gardener: I like to watch.

My Favorite Year (1982) ~ Alan Swann: Alfredo, telephone the Stork Club, we'll be two for dinner.
Alfi: You sure you want the Stork Club, Mr. Swann?
Alan Swann: It's been a year and a half. Surely they've repaired the wall of the bandstand by now.

My Favorite Year (1982) ~ Cy Benson: He's plastered!
Alan Swann: So are some of the finest erections in Europe

My Favorite Year (1982) ~ Lil:[Referring to the fact that hes in the Ladies room] This is for ladies only!
Alan Swann: [unzipping fly] So is *this*, ma'am, but every now and then I have to run a little water through it.

My Favorite Year (1982) ~ Alan Swann: Damn you! I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star!
Old 08-05-02, 12:01 AM

Blue Velvet - Frank Booth: Here's to your ****!
Old 08-05-02, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From Being John Malkovich:

Taxi Driver: Hey uh, ain't you that actor guy?
John Malkovich: Yes.
TD: What's your name. Don't tell me. John uh, Maybury?
JM: Malkovich.
TD: That's right, Malkovich! Yeah, I thought you were pretty alright in that one movie.
JM: Thank you.
TD: The one where you played the jewel thief.
JM: I never played a jewel thief.
TD: You didn't? Who am I thinking of?
JM: I don't know.
Old 08-05-02, 10:14 PM

Angels on our shoulders. Captain Miller - Saving Private Ryan

John Kinsella: Is this heaven?
Ray Kinsella: It's Iowa.
John Kinsella: Iowa? I could have sworn this was heaven.
Ray Kinsella: Is there a heaven?
John Kinsella: Oh yeah. It's the place where dreams come true.
Ray Kinsella: Maybe this is heaven.
- Field of Dreams

Kurtz: I expected someone like you. What did you expect? Are you an assassin?
Willard: I'm a soldier.
Kurtz: You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.
- Apocalypse Now
Old 08-06-02, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

from gone with the wind (yes i hated this movie (jsut saw it in its entirty tonight for the first time) but heres my quote
"well, frankly my dear, i don't give a damn" (i have no idea why this quote put so many people in tears)
Old 08-06-02, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"harry, your hands are freezing" - dumb&dumber
Old 08-06-02, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
"For future reference... right handed men don't hold it in their left. Just one of those things."
"For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess, I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving. Maybe I'm going home."

- G A T T A C A

Last edited by NavinJohnson; 08-07-02 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-06-02, 01:49 PM

"I'm gonna be naughty...a naughty vampire God."
-Blade

We've got a 10-07
Aw jesus Ben, not again!
No, no ********! I wasn't even with a hooker today! ha ha!
-Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the gun
Honey, you got real ugly.
The name's Ash, Housewares.
-Army of Darkness

I love the smell of commerse in the morning!
Hell hath no fury for a woman scorned for sega
You called down the thunder, well now you got it!
You know what?!? There is no Easter Bunny! Over, there, that's just a guy in a suit!!!
-Mallrats

"Look, i only speak two languages. English and bad english."
-5th Element
Old 08-06-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Robbins' Good Burger (1997):

Kurt: You mess with Kurt, and you go in the grinder.
Dexter: Okay, now this "grinder." Is it a real machine or is it just some kind of metaphor?
Old 08-06-02, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy, Shawshank Redemption.

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." - Red, Shawshank Redemption

"It's not about understanding. It's about not giving up." - Chris, What Dreams May Come

Chris: "Good people go to Hell because they can never forgive themselves. I know I can't, but I can forgive you."
Annie: "For killing my children and my sweet husband?"
Chirs: "No. For being so wonderful that I guy would choose Hell over Heaven just to hang around you." - What Dreams May Come
Old 08-06-02, 02:57 PM

From BARTON FINK(1991):

Barton: Sex? He's a man! We wrestled!

-------------

Mastrionotti: What do you do, Fink?
Barton: I write.
Deutsch: Oh yeah? What kind of write?
Barton: Well, as a matter of fact I write for the pictures.
Mastrionotti: Big ****in' deal.
Deutsch: You want my partner to kiss your ass?
Mastrionotti: Would that be good enough for you?
Barton: No, I--I didn't mean to sound--
Deutsch: What did you mean?
Barton: I--I've got respect for--for working guys, like you--
Mastrionotti: Jesus! Ain't that a load off!

--------------

From RAISING ARIZONA(1987):

Leonard Smalls: Name's Smalls. Leonard Smalls. My friends call me Lenny...only I ain't got no friends.

------------

I love the Coen Bros.

-Fish
Old 08-06-02, 03:15 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

My two favorite quotes use the word fa$$ots(one in Blazing Saddles and the other in Every Which Way You Can) so I won't post them here.
Old 08-06-02, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Repo Man comes to mind...

"Let's go get sushi and not pay!"

Girl: But what about our relationship?
Emilio: F-ck that!
Old 08-06-02, 04:22 PM
Tomahoochi

"Leave the Gun...... Take the canolis."

Old 08-06-02, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Igor: Hump? what hump?
Old 08-06-02, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by TomOpus
Igor: Hump? what hump?

What Hump?

BTW: Let's not forget the man with the first hump........

Old 08-06-02, 11:03 PM

When considering my favorite movie quote, I have to consider the classics. This particular film features the clasically trained, actor's actor, Patrick Swayze.

ROADHOUSE: "I F***ed guys like you in prison!"

(sigh) They just don't make 'em like this anymore, folks.
Old 08-06-02, 11:19 PM

While not really a quote.. Faster Pussycat Kill! Kill! has
a great into:

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Violence.The word and the act. While violence cloaks itself in a plethora of disguises, its favourite mantle still remains - sex.
Old 08-06-02, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"His moma named him Clay; I'ma call him Clay" Coming to America
Old 08-07-02, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mraor
When considering my favorite movie quote, I have to consider the classics. This particular film features the clasically trained, actor's actor, Patrick Swayze.

ROADHOUSE: "I F***ed guys like you in prison!"

(sigh) They just don't make 'em like this anymore, folks.
And for good reason...
Old 08-07-02, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by TomOpus

And for good reason...
Yeah...I imagine that it's because Swayze's 10 million dollars per movie requirement is too steep.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.