Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Signs = Scariest Movie EVER!!! Review Thread (merged)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Signs = Scariest Movie EVER!!! Review Thread (merged)

Old 07-18-02, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Signs = Scariest Movie EVER!!!

Just got done watching this. Incrediblly scary, Fire in the Sky times 100. This movie is eeerie , won't sleep tonight and im 23. Gibson and Phoenix are incredible, seriously. Director did the most incredible job with the key scary elements. Film will make you think and kiss your kids goodnight. Go Watch. Not tons of action, but the surprise element and overall thinking of sceanrios is gut wrenching. When you watch this, respond back with what you would have done!!!
Old 07-18-02, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dunno. when someone says "scariest movie ever" or "worse movie ever" or "best movie ever" I am a bit left in the cold and not sure if I should put my trust in that.

getting my hopes up considering teh spoilers I read in the other review of it. it sounds more cheesy, but lets see how it is indeed.
Old 07-18-02, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Now when I finally see this, I'll anticipate being scared and think "Well, that wasn't the SCARIEST MOVIE EVER!!!" So when I'm letdown, I'll blame you!
Old 07-18-02, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The people in this thread aren't quite as thrilled with it.....

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=222851
Old 07-18-02, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's how Unbreakable was. It seemed people either loved it or hated it. I personally love M Night's movies. While I am not taking the "scariest movie EVER" line, I am going to see it expecting to at least like it. And if I end up loving it, then I will love it. But I still would have rather seen a sequel to Unbreakable this summer rather than this.
Old 07-18-02, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

sorry, that title still goes to Freddie Got Fingered
Old 07-18-02, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by silentbob007
sorry, that title still goes to Freddie Got Fingered
The movie, or the trailer that convinced nearly everyone to avoid seeing the movie?
Old 07-18-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Vegeta must work for Touchstone or whoever made the movie Signs; no one shills like that and means it. BTW, I found Fire in the Sky quite dull and boring save for the scenes inside of the ship.
Old 07-18-02, 11:14 AM

It is Blair Witch Scary if you know what I mean, not a lot of visual monsters or anything, but situations that if they presented themself in real life would petrify any human. I liked Blair Witch, because there were know visual horror, just plain old imagination. Fire in the Sky to me was the scariest movie I have ever seen, the images of in the ship f'ed me up for awhile as a teenager. There are two scenes in Signs that top all in my opinion, and my review of this being the scariest movie ever is my opinion and hope people don't think its scarier than the Shining or other great movies. With myslef fixing to have a family, Signs hit close to home.
Old 07-18-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

For me it was "THE ENTITY" when I was 15. It really scared the hell out of me!!

Will see SIGNS though. No worries!!
Old 07-18-02, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seems like a plant to me, but Shayalam seems to be treading the same ground over... and over.. and over again.
Old 07-18-02, 05:24 PM
Banned

Yeah, we all remember THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT as the scareiest movie ever. Beause people like you told so on the internet. Bet SIGNS turns out to be another CONTACT.
Old 07-18-02, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Vegeta_vs_Yoda
[B]It is Blair Witch Scary if you know what I mean, not a lot of visual monsters or anything, but situations

Oh great, hate it already. you just compared it from the scariest movie ever to the blair witch.

I know now it will suck.
Old 07-18-02, 11:38 PM
Retired

I'll probably like it. Fire in the Sky and The Blair Witch Project scared the hell out of me.

Most "horror" movies don't scare me at all. They're one of my least favorite genres.
Old 07-19-02, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by joshhinkle
I'll probably like it. Fire in the Sky and The Blair Witch Project scared the hell out of me.

Most "horror" movies don't scare me at all. They're one of my least favorite genres.
Depends on what you consider "Horror" most of the horror movies now a days are going for the gore factor and scaring people through massive amount of blood.
Old 07-19-02, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts
His movies are....quiet.

Think of the trailer for SIGNS. Remember when the trailer had the knife going under the door, and the hand grabbing the knife, with the scream that startled you?
Old 07-19-02, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ever get the feeling that people who work for studios or for a film production company like to come 'round and plant little seeds to
sprout?

in any case, I am not a fan of m. night's films. he is too mainstream and at the same time feels his films shouldn't be easily definable.
which leads to supernatural thrillers or rather supernaturally themed thrillers that are grounded in reality but are not.
all very contradictive and not the least bit interesting.

the sixth sense was a one trick pony.
surprise, surprise. but it's all worn down by now.

unbreakable was a bad idea.
a superhero film where it's all setup and next to no action.
i'd appreciate it if it was done intelligently, but it came off
laborious and dismal. plus one shouldnt depend onbruce willis to bring a scene down to it's reality. there's not a whole
heck of a lot beyond a smirk.

signs.
it's going to be a whole lot more of nothing. quiet. i hear something. it may be an alien. it might be my imagination.
2 hours later... oh... it was an alien (or i think it was) creepy!

the trailer doesn't show much, which will be indicative of the film, trust me.

If m. night were serious about his craft, which he tries to pretend he is, he would...

A: stop casting fading action stars in lead roles.

2: actually make a straight ahead suspense film. not something that needs to be realistic (hitchcock was the master of suspense... were all of his films grounded in reality?)

and C: get a sense of humor. (again hitch was a master of suspense, but he also had one dark sense of humor- loved him for it)

Last edited by Sunday Morning; 07-19-02 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-19-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

with the spoilers above.. I see a pattern with water.. hmmm
Old 07-20-02, 05:44 PM

"Yeah, we all remember THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT as the scareiest movie ever. Beause people like you told so on the internet. Bet SIGNS turns out to be another CONTACT."

That would be just fine by me - CONTACT is fantastic. Zemeckis's best movie since BTTF.
Old 07-30-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I posted most of my thoughts (as much as I could without actually discussing the movie) in the other thread, but I concur that this is one of the "scariest" movies in recent history. The theater I was in was jumping and screaming in the parts Shammalammadingdong wanted them to.
Old 07-30-02, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I disliked it. well mainly the ending. the pay off/resolution was very cheesy and I was just let down by it.
Old 07-31-02, 12:13 AM

Signs Review

Signs provides it's viewers with an odd blend of tense moments and nervous laughter.

PROS: M. Night's directing. I really enjoyed the unique camera angles and they way he can build tension within a certain moment or scene. Also, I was surprised by how many jokes were diliberately placed in the movie. M. Night did a great job of taking advantage of the audience's tendancy for nervous laughter after very tense moments.

CONS: While his directing was superb, I felt the writing/overall story was not very strong. Also, my biggest complaint about M. Night is his movie's low re-watchability factor. Signs is no exception. Even though the future dvd may be loaded with extras, the repeat viewing appeal will still be vary low.

OVERALL: I felt that M. Night's directing took another step foward and his writing took a step to the side. I have to commend him for really developing his own, unique style that is very recognizable in this movie. Just like some people say a certain film, "had a Hitchcock feel to it," I think that years down the road people will say that other films have a, "M. Night fell to them." I would recommend it.

Last edited by wordtoyamotha; 07-31-02 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-31-02, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

is this a spoiler thread? if so..

Spoiler:
I felt the end result that the aliens had a weakness to, of all things water, was just lame. I mean, wouldn't there be moisture wettness in a crop circle. So I guess that took me out of the movie
and yes, the replay value of this movie is like his others.. not to good for a second viewing.

still worth a view if your a fan or just interested. I just felt they didn't resolve everything and left a lot just up in the air with no real reason to do so.

and for me. the slow pace for the pay off was not worth it.
Old 07-31-02, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
is this a spoiler thread? if so..

Spoiler:
I felt the end result that the aliens had a weakness to, of all things water, was just lame. I mean, wouldn't there be moisture wettness in a crop circle. So I guess that took me out of the movie
and yes, the replay value of this movie is like his others.. not to good for a second viewing.

still worth a view if your a fan or just interested. I just felt they didn't resolve everything and left a lot just up in the air with no real reason to do so.

and for me. the slow pace for the pay off was not worth it.
Just reverse eveything he feels, and there's my feel . These things should be merged.
Old 07-31-02, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, me and Cartman are agreeing to disagree.

I still recommand it to whoever. I say always trust your own feelings and don't go by what others say. you have to test it out yourself and see if you like it.

I disliked it because of the resolution(or lack of) and Cartman liked it because of it and all that other stuff.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.