DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   While watching a movie at the theaters, has the audience ever aplauded after a joke? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/204765-while-watching-movie-theaters-has-audience-ever-aplauded-after-joke.html)

Rypro 525 05-03-02 02:32 PM

While watching a movie at the theaters, has the audience ever aplauded after a joke?

There's Something about Mary - the big binnoculars scene, the hair gell scene

Rush hour 2 The last outtake, "move over kobe" from a chinese woman, the gay store clerk

Austin Powers 2 - "just the 2 of us", the credits

Scary Movie - Miss Mann, the bathroom

use spoiler marks if necessary.

JonTurner 05-03-02 03:31 PM

I know it's been a while, but by the end of the scene in Liar Liar where Jim Carrey "tells the truth" about everyone in the office meeting, I seem to recall some applause. I know I was almost on the floor laughing so hard, so my memory my not be perfect.

LBPound 05-03-02 04:14 PM

They applauded over an intentionally stupid joke from "Insomnia" but I won't ruin it for you. :)

Rocky_Stallone 05-03-02 04:22 PM

The only time I heard the audience applaud after a joke was in "American Pie 2", the scene where Stifler, Jim, and Fincher were in the 2 lesbians house. The audience went crazy over at that scene.

I thought "American Pie 2" was an ok film but nothing I could watch over and over again though.

Groucho 05-03-02 04:25 PM

Not quite the same, but the first time I saw Beauty and the Beast, the audience applauded after each musical number (as if it were a Broadway show).

I saw a preview screening of The New Guy, which is easily the funniest comedy ever made (I know, I know, the previews make it look like doo-doo). At the end, of the film one guy in the audience clapped slowly, his clapping was gradually joined by others in the crowd, and the applause built up to a full standing ovation. The movie was that good.

LBPound 05-03-02 04:26 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
I saw a preview screening of The New Guy, which is easily the funniest comedy ever made (I know, I know, the previews make it look like doo-doo). At the end, of the film one guy in the audience clapped slowly, his clapping was gradually joined by others in the crowd, and the applause built up to a full standing ovation. The movie was that good.
Wow, I can't belive I'm asking <b>Groucho</b> this, but are you being serious? It sure sounds like you are. The New Guy THAT GOOD? :eek:

Pillowhead 05-03-02 04:27 PM

Not quite the same, but the first time I saw Beauty and the Beast, the audience applauded after each musical number (as if it were a Broadway show).

You have got to be kidding me. You should put a smiley in there.

Gdrlv 05-03-02 04:41 PM

Originally posted by LBPound

Wow, I can't belive I'm asking <b>Groucho</b> this, but are you being serious? It sure sounds like you are. The New Guy THAT GOOD? :eek:

C'mon this cannot be serious (I hope). One man slowly clapping...individual audience members slowly joining in....it gets louder and more fervent until...the entire thing builds to a crescendo as the entire crowed leaps to their feet and applauds at how magnificent the film must be. One of the oldest movie cliches in the book.

Funny stuff, Groucho.

Charlie Goose 05-03-02 05:49 PM

That may be the most amazing and horrifying theater story I've ever heard.

I saw a preview screening of The New Guy, which is easily the funniest comedy ever made (I know, I know, the previews make it look like doo-doo).
I think the previews make it look very funny, it's good to see it might actually be.

http://charliegoose.homestead.com/files/goose.jpg Honk!

Rypro 525 05-03-02 06:40 PM

could it be the first decent teen sex comedy since american pie 1.

Believe it or not the audience actually lauged and clapped at leathal wepon 4. (i was one of them.)

Jobronie 05-03-02 07:04 PM

In Raiders, when Indy shoots the guy with the simitar. I always considered that a joke, and not just an action or the good guy winning. Audience applauded like crazy.......

Ergyu 05-03-02 10:23 PM

Only movies I have been to where there was applause were the 3 packed ass Star Wars re-releases. They applauded at the destruction of the death star and what not.

Ketamine 05-03-02 10:24 PM

They did today all through the MIB 2 trailer.

jfoobar 05-04-02 01:17 AM

I'm sure they have many times, but one occasion that I specifically recall (for some reason) was the "Do you like apples?" line during Good Will Hunting.

Rypro 525 05-04-02 06:21 PM

funny story; at my screening of episode 1, we had all been there for like 14 min. prieviews start up, guy yells "we want star wars". we all laughed. When it started we all cheered. But at the end we all booed, some threw things at the screen/

CaptDS9E 05-04-02 10:14 PM

rush Hour 2-Huge crowd that was hilarious and laughed all the time

SW:SE's-First saturday matinee for all three of them. Lots of young kids with there SW toys. Everyone cheered and had a good time.

capt

Abob Teff 05-04-02 10:18 PM

The incident that I remember was at "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle." The whole audience applauded and went nuts at the climax of the film (those of you who have seen it can probably guess where). Personally, I looked around at them like they were nuts.

Penny Lane 05-04-02 10:56 PM

Just last night at Spiderman people started clapping when
Spoiler:
MJ told Peter that she loved him

Rypro 525 02-09-03 04:08 PM

More
Many times during My Big Fat Greek Wedding. (the third time with the Windex gag, The Old woman beating up the boyfriend with the purse, the Nsync guy telling the boyfriend what to say)
Biker Boyz, when at a car wash, a man comes out in boxers, the women in the audeince cheered, and then one of the characters made a joke about how loose the boxers were and the house came down)
LOTR TTT Last night during after one of the Short jokes

many Many times during Chicago, (after All That Jazz, during most of The Cell Block Tengo, the entire ending when the actors names come up Richard Gere got the biggest cheer.)

Amadeus 02-09-03 06:06 PM

Only happened once.I don't remember in exactly what scene but during Armageddon i remembered a couple people clapped after a joke.Personally i don't like it when people do anything that distracts others from watching the movie, except during a joke when it's okay to laugh.:)