Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Count of Monte Cristo: A pleasant surprise

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-02, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I really didn't think much of this movie when I saw the posters and previews, but some friends and family said it was good so I took in a showing Saturday afternoon. While the film is no award winner by any means, it is very entertaining and really had me involved with the characters and story. Rather than follow the book, this film follows the pattern of the old illustrated classics series for younger kids back in the day, and it helps make it fun to watch. Jim Cavaziel, Guy Pearce, and Richard Harris all give solid performances, and the film follows the old matinee formula to a T.

I would rate this film a solid B+, or three out of four stars. Kind of preposterous at times, but rather entertaining in the long run! IMO, this is a better tale of vengeance than the schlock offered from the camp of Ah-nuld.
Old 02-10-02, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its funny how my attitude going into a movie affects it so much. i went to see brotherhood of the wolf thinking it may be kinda cool but dumb, and no suprise for me. we then went to see count of monte cristo right after that; and i love that book, so i had high expectations... only to leave disappointed. (i'd give it a B-).

so, i still find the richard chamberlain version to be the most successful, followed be the french miniseries (only b/c its more complete), and then this version. am i missing any other versions?
Old 02-10-02, 12:08 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved this movie. I was expecting it to be great because Caviezel is one of my favorite actors, and Guy Pearce is quickly moving up that list. Both were brilliant in this movie. I'd probably give it a B+ overall and an A for acting.
Old 02-10-02, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, it was better than I was expecting.
Old 02-10-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Never read the book. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it as much as I did....
Old 02-10-02, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Went and saw this last night w/ my gf. The book is her favorite, so it was no suprise she'd like it. I was actually pleasantly suprised. It was a pretty decent film.
Old 02-11-02, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Neither my wife or I had read the book. I wasn't really looking forward to it (she made me go), but like others, ended up being pleasantly surprised. It was mainly just really entertaining, and pulled you in, I found myself wishing it had been a little bit longer. Not to mention, the main girl is the story is damn_cute, especially the scenes where she had her curls going

Dave
Old 11-13-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
I am bringing this thread back from the dead because I just rented this movie and thought I would post my impressions of it:

I hated it. It was almost decent but there were so many little things that really bugged me.

*added* the dialogue in the whole movei (with the exception of the two main characters and Richard Harris) did not seem right for the time frame. One notable example is when the son asked to go to Milan for the party. I was half expecting a van load of his friends to pull up and head towards New Orleans for Mardi Gras. the dialogue was too modern.

Napoleon...that was supposed to be Napoleon? Did the casting crew never see a painting of Napoleon.

What the hell was up with the jolly, good, happy pirates? the pirates of the caribbean have more bite than they do! The captain just lets him do whatever, leave whenever, gives him hugs, massages his feet and helps him out. And what is up with mr. New York (the pirate he saved) "we'll just go up to them and BAM BAM BAM and it will all be taken care of" (paraphrasing).

The biggest thing for me was the whole revenge thing. a major point of the story is that the Priest told him not to let revenge consume him and just take the money and live a happy life. What does he do? He takes revenge on EVERYONE forsaking his one moral duty and in the end we are supposed to think that he is a hero that fulfilled his moral obligation? I think that this is a case where he cannot have his cake and eat it too. There should have been some consequence for him not following what Priest says. His major character flaw is his passion for revenge but there was no consequece for it. How did the book end?

some good points include the scenes with Richard Harris. but overall I thought is stunk. How come no one else seems to think so? Overall I thought that Mask of Zorro did a much better job with this story.

Last edited by tanman; 11-13-02 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-13-02, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tanman: mayge because we expected little more than an entertaining film done in the old matinee style and got it. Historical accuracy was not an issue to me or other people.

Also, no offense, but if you resurrected a thread where people seemed to pretty much like the movie so you could bash it, then I think it counts as threadcrapping.
Old 11-13-02, 02:04 PM

It's not threadcrapping when he gave thought out reasons as to why he disliked the film. Just because he didn't agree with everyone else's opinions, doesn't mean he's threadcrapping. Jeez, freedom of opinion dude, live with it.

It's not like he came here and said "This movie SUX!!!!!!!!!".
Old 11-13-02, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
It's not threadcrapping when he gave thought out reasons as to why he disliked the film. Just because he didn't agree with everyone else's opinions, doesn't mean he's threadcrapping. Jeez, freedom of opinion dude, live with it.

It's not like he came here and said "This movie SUX!!!!!!!!!".
THANK YOU!

Also its not like I need a life changing experience in a movie, I mean I said I liked Mask of Zorro and that was no amazing work of art. I thought this thread was about the movie not about me. I fail to believe that everyone liked this movie this much.(excuse the grammer)

Last edited by tanman; 11-13-02 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-13-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I enjoyed the movie more then I thought I would.
There were a few times when you had to sort of suspend dis-belief a bit, but overall I found it to be entertaining.

It's funny, I just resurrected a thread about Panic Room because I just saw the DVD and wanted to post some impressions.
I did not particularly care for PR although I saw that most responders in the original post liked it.

Oh well.
Old 11-13-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a good rental. I enjoyed it, but have no desire to watch it again.
Old 11-14-02, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

hmm...none of the deep hatred that I felt for it...maybe I am represing deep childhood memories of The Count....hmm....maybe.
Old 11-14-02, 09:03 AM

I thought it was good. Excellent story and I loved the sword fight at the end.

Doc
Old 11-14-02, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I more or less meant for this thread to be a place for people who had the same experience with it when I started it back in February. A place for people who were pleasantly surprised and entertained as well, despite it not being a totally perfect film.
Old 11-14-02, 10:08 AM

I really enjoyed the movie. I didn't know anything about it going into it. It was recommended from someone I work with, and I had not seen any previews (I don't have cable, and never watch television), so it was a blind veiwing. I will definitly buy this one. My gf was totally impressed by it and we would both definitly watch it again.
Old 11-15-02, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I watched it with my friend on dvd and also enjoyed the movie, and i'm sure i'll buy it somewhere down the line when i have more money.