DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What is your favorite John Hughes Movie? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/179540-what-your-favorite-john-hughes-movie.html)

Sunday Morning 01-31-02 05:28 AM

What is your favorite John Hughes Movie?

What is yours?

Here's a list of his films in the order I like 'em...
(films he wrote and/or directed only)

01. Career Opportunities
02. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
03. The Breakfast Club
04. Sixteen Candles
05. Nat'l Lampoon's Vacation
06. Pretty In Pink
07. Weird Science
08. Planes, Trains And Automobiles
09. Some Kind Of Wonderful
10. Reach The Rock
11. Uncle Buck
12. Nat'l Lampoon's European Vacation
13. Nat'l Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
14. Home Alone
15. Dutch
16. She's Having A Baby
17. Mr. Mom
18. Miracle On 34th Street
19. Home Alone 2
20. Nate And Hayes
21. The Great Outdoors
22. 101 dalmations (96)
23. Beethoven
24. Dennis The Menace
25. Curly Sue
26. Baby's Day Out

Haven't and will most likely never see:
Just Visiting
Flubber

Geofferson 01-31-02 08:32 AM

The Breakfast Club

"Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?" rotfl

Sparrow 01-31-02 08:36 AM

For years, The Breakfast Club was my favorite movie to quote and I must have watched this at least 10-15 times (possibly more, I was a teen with loads of time of my hands), but I
recently saw Planes, Trains & Automobiles and now that has the honor. :D

bralph 01-31-02 10:18 AM

Re: What is your favorite John Hughes Movie?

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
What is yours?

02. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
03. The Breakfast Club
04. Sixteen Candles
05. Nat'l Lampoon's Vacation
06. Pretty In Pink
07. Weird Science
08. Planes, Trains And Automobiles
09. Some Kind Of Wonderful
11. Uncle Buck
13. Nat'l Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
14. Home Alone
17. Mr. Mom
21. The Great Outdoors

It's almost impossible to choose from that list! Those are all terrific movies. As soon as I decide on one (say Breakfast Club), I think: "Wow, Planes, Trains, & Automobiles is great too... Vacations are classics."

This poll is unfair, and I demand to be able to vote many, many times :)

Copenhagen 01-31-02 10:26 AM

Another one for The Breakfast Club. I just remember seeing in on all the time on TNT when I was in high school. Had they shown Ferris over and over I suspect that would be the tops of my list.

movielib 01-31-02 10:45 AM

I voted for Ferris. My second favorite (I know he didn't direct it but I consider it his movie) is Some Kind of Wonderful.

Kal-El 01-31-02 11:13 AM

Such a hard poll but I had to vote for Breakfast Club. That movie just had '80s written all over it.

BTW, I thought Chris Columbus directed Home Alone?

Gdrlv 01-31-02 11:42 AM

National Lampoon's Vacation...one of the funniest films ever made.

hippie68 01-31-02 11:54 AM

I think Breakfast Club has got to be one of the most quotable movies of all time. I've seen it at least 50 times. Back in college, my friends and I sometimes watched it many times in one day just to try to memorize the whole flick.

"Would you ever consider dating a guy with elephantitis of the nuts?"

RoboDad 01-31-02 01:14 PM

Judging from the current poll results, I think it is time to say what needs to be said:

Save Ferris!

:)

Chief Brody 01-31-02 02:47 PM

CLERK : Welcome to Marathon, may i help you?

NEAL : Yes.

CLERK : How may i help you?

NEAL : You can start by wiping that ******* dumb-ass smile off your rosy ******* face. And then you can give me a ******* automobile. A ******* Datsun, a ******* Toyota, a ******* Mustang, a ******* Buick. Four ******* wheels and a seat!

CLERK : I really don't care for the way you're speaking to me.

NEAL : And i really don't care that your ******* company left me in the middle of ******* nowhere with ******* keys to a ******* car that isn't ******* there. And i really didn't care to have to walk across a ******* highway, and across a ******* runway to stand here and have you smile in my ******* face. I want a ******* car, right ******* now.

CLERK : May i see your rental agreement?

NEAL : I threw it away.

CLERK: Oh boy.

NEAL : Oh boy what?!

CLERK : You're ******.

See if you can guess what movie i voted for! PT&A and Ferris i can happily watch over and over.

Eternia 01-31-02 03:42 PM

Home Alone 1 & 2

I can watch them over and over and over and over again and never tire of them.

Also a big fan of 16 Candles, Breakfast Club, Ferris, and Weird Science.

grunter 01-31-02 04:02 PM

You gotta vote for "Pretty In Pink". That is the defining Molly Ringwald film.

The Antipodean 01-31-02 04:39 PM

Sixteen Candles.

Breakfast Club is good but already looks really dated and it tries a little too hard to take it seriously. And Ally Sheedy is awful in it.

harpo787 01-31-02 04:45 PM

GASP!!!

This is not a poll! This is an outrage! How can you not list Weird Science in the line up?!? The film that launched the careers of Anthony Michael Hall (oh wait..this wasn't his first), Kelly LeBrock (ok, so it wasn't exactly a launch), Bill Paxton, and that guy who played Wyatt (Ian something or other).I REFUSE to vote on such an OBVIOUSLY rigged poll!

just kidding...while I love Weird Science, I voted Breakfast Club...far more quotable.

"Chet. My name...is Chet. And I didn't think it was a whale's d-ck, honey."

necros 01-31-02 04:54 PM

Planes, Trains & Automobiles!!

raithen 01-31-02 06:06 PM

Without a doubt: Some Kind Of Wonderful

-matt

explosivej 01-31-02 09:06 PM

Christmas Vacation

THORN 01-31-02 11:55 PM

sixteen candles !!!!

LONG DUC DONG FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stangman68 02-01-02 07:13 AM

Too close to call...

Stangman68 02-01-02 08:37 AM

Refresh my memory...Is Career Opportunities the one with Frank Whaley and Jennifer Connelly running around a Target store after hours?

Vespertillio 02-02-02 08:55 AM

I would have to say Some KInd of Wonderful as well. Maybe not as funny but left a more lasting impression on me,

Didn't he do She's HAving a BAby as well? That's up on my list too.

MatthewCho 02-02-02 09:12 AM

I voted for Breakfast Club, but so many ran a close second, including Sixteen Candles, the Vacations (including European), and Planes.

I too am shocked to not see Weird Science specifically named, and I always classify that with Breakfast, Sixteen, and Pretty.

I've have to check out Career Opportunities again. I saw it in the theaters and do not remember liking it. However, since some are claiming it is his best I'll have to rent it.

- Matt C.

BassDude 02-02-02 01:49 PM

Love his films, but I had to vote other since She's Having a Baby so closely mirrors my wife and I that it's my favorite.

My handy-man neighbor asked me what kinda mower I had...I busted out laughing...he didn't know why. :)

madelinebh 02-02-02 06:15 PM

Originally posted by THORN
sixteen candles !!!!

LONG DUC DONG FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heartily second this one. You've got to love the supporting cast, and this was by far Anthony Michael Hall's best performance. I still laugh my ass off watching this one. It's jeuvenile as hell, but very wity at the same time. Molly Ringwald is really outshined by the geeks in the cast.