Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Just saw Mulholland Drive

Old 10-09-01, 10:38 PM
Bad Empire Tylenol Clone

Just saw Mulholland Drive

POSSIBLE VERY MINOR SPOILERS

I don't have any inhibitions about saying Lynch's worst yet. The weirdness that comes off as ridiculous as in Fire Walk with Me mixed with lots of even greater utter nonsense. He directly rips straight off his other good movies Blue Velvet and Lost Highway ( and even Twin Peaks) to come to a conclusion that can only mean that he's one of the worst writers in Hollywood. There are some nice cinematographic moments, but the early on background of it being a TV production seems to stand out a lot during the first hour & 45 minutes (the portion intended to be a TV pilot). The direction is just awful and makes no sense why it would garner a Best Director at Cannes except that they're interested in praising garbage for the notion of seeming smarter than everyone else. I warn you to steer clear of this utter piece of junk unless you unfairly praise movies that are "different" in hopes to impress some people. Yuck.
Old 10-09-01, 11:00 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Thanks for your honest opinion, but I still plan to be first in line when it reaches my area. Lynch rocks the house, and I have heard absolutely nothing but ebullient accolades toward it from all the critics I respect. I may be disappointed but, frankly, I doubt it...
Old 10-10-01, 09:39 AM

I saw this last night. I enjoyed it a lot. While it does borrow from all his other films heavily, it was still entertaining. It kept me thinking for a while.
Marc
Old 10-10-01, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It wouldn't be a Lynch film if it didn't polarize people.

And you know what--some of the most divided in reception are some of my favorites.

I can't wait to see it this coming weekend. I walk in with no preconceptions and let it wash over me...
Old 10-11-01, 06:05 AM
mvc

I saw this movie today at a free screening in UCB....
I can safely say that this was the weirdest movie I have ever seen.... But that's about the only conclusion I could really come up with. The story was bizarre to say the least. (What was up with the old couple at the end?!?) I didn't really like the film that much... but this is the first Lynch film I have seen, so maybe I don't have the "right state of mind" . It was unclear to me if some parts of the movie were meant to be as funny as they were to the crowd.....

I also agree that the ending was less than satisfying. But I think the movie was already too long in the first place. However, I would like to hear Lynch's commentary on the film... It would clear up many of the scenes that seem confused in their place...
Old 10-11-01, 10:38 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally posted by mvc:
this is the first Lynch film I have seen, so maybe I don't have the "right state of mind"

He's an acquired taste, like coffee or cigarettes. Keep trying out some of his other works--chances are, after two or three more films, you'll be hooked and wonder how you were ever repelled by the guy's style.

BTW, I can't imagine how any movie could out-weird LOST HIGHWAY, but we'll see what Lynch has up his f*cked up sleeves this time...

BTW, Part II, us Lynch fans don't have much more of an idea what his films are about than you do--with Lynch, it is often not as much about what is being told as how it is being told...
Old 10-11-01, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Filmmaker
[B]BTW, Part II, us Lynch fans don't have much more of an idea what his films are about than you do--with Lynch, it is often not as much about what is being told as how it is being told...
But there is a certain sense of "I understand what's happening, but I just can't explain it" that I get when watching his movies... Lost Highway in particular.

Saw Mulholland Drive last night and it's f u ckin brilliant. It's definitely a culmination of all his works to this point. It's almost as if everything he's done in the past was prelude to this film.

There's one scene in particular, at the Silencio club, that killed me. So much emotion.... That sequence might be one of the best things he's ever done.

Last edited by Oliver Clothesoff; 10-11-01 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-11-01, 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Oliver Clothesoff:
But there is a certain sense of "I understand what's happening, but I just can't explain it" that I get when watching his movies... Lost Highway in particular.

Sure, sure, I agree, but if you can't make sense of it to the outside world...well, ever heard the phrase "a difference which makes no difference is no difference"?

BTW, freakin' hysterical username ya got there!
Old 10-11-01, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by Filmmaker
Originally posted by mvc:

BTW, I can't imagine how any movie could out-weird LOST HIGHWAY, but we'll see what Lynch has up his f*cked up sleeves this time...
After my Mulholland Drive screening, I did say to myself "Omigod, that was more confusing than Lost Highway!" But over the next couple hours, as I absorbed it and mentally put all the pieces together, I realized that it's not. With LH, it's hard to figure out even where to BEGIN assembling the puzzle. With MD, you can BASICALLY figure out what happened, but there's still plenty of nagging little details which should (happily) keep us all busy for years trying to make them fit.

Anyway, they're both great films.
Old 10-11-01, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The tomatometer rating at rottentomatoes.com so far is at 74%, with everything from "A Masterpiece" to "Unbearable."

I'm excited!
Old 10-11-01, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jnuke

After my Mulholland Drive screening, I did say to myself "Omigod, that was more confusing than Lost Highway!" But over the next couple hours, as I absorbed it and mentally put all the pieces together, I realized that it's not. With LH, it's hard to figure out even where to BEGIN assembling the puzzle. With MD, you can BASICALLY figure out what happened, but there's still plenty of nagging little details which should (happily) keep us all busy for years trying to make them fit.

Anyway, they're both great films.
I spent all morning typing up a three page explanation of MD that I'm going to send to all my friends after they've seen it.

It makes sense if you can put the pieces together, and to do that, you have to know how Lynch thinks.

MD is really quite genius as far as allowing you to put the pieces together.
Old 10-11-01, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jnuke

After my Mulholland Drive screening, I did say to myself "Omigod, that was more confusing than Lost Highway!" But over the next couple hours, as I absorbed it and mentally put all the pieces together, I realized that it's not.
Thanks for clarifying that. I have seen that said a few places and I just cannot imagine a more convoluted mess than Lost Highway (a beautiful mess though, as Lost Highway is my favorite Lynch film). MD opens here in Philly tomorrow, but I won't get a chance to see it until next Friday.

Lynch's only film more intangible than Lost Highway is Eraserhead (although the first part of Hotel Room comes close sometimes) but that is in a totally different way. Lost Highway can be retold to someone else....it has a story....although one so dizzying that retelling it to someone qould make them look at you funny.....Eraserhead is too symbolic to be retold....and what the symbolism means is rarely agreed upon by Lynch fans....perhaps due to overanalyzation.

Anyway....I am really excited to see MD come Oct 19th.
Old 10-11-01, 07:07 PM
Banned

Just checked all the showtimes for my area for the week ahead and nada!!! Dammit straight to hell--I hate living in the frickin' hee-haw state of Oklahoma!
Old 10-11-01, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mvc
It was unclear to me if some parts of the movie were meant to be as funny as they were to the crowd.....

I would guess they were....
and even if not, it doesn't matter. Lynch's finely tuned sense of oddity is pure hilarity for many Lynch fans if it was intentional or not....other times is is just visceral and disturbing, but often it is funny. Lynch does seem to have a great sense of humor so his original intentions often seem blurred or unclear.

If MD is nearly as similar (as in confusing) to Lost Highway as people are saying....don't let this first experience turn you off. Lynch is my favorite currently living director (my user name is Lynchian). See Twin Peaks, the greatest tv show ever created.
Season 1 minus the pilot comes out on dvd Dec 4th.

The pilot is available on a dvd imported from Asia (Region 0, NTSC) and is a godsend to Twin Peaks fans because it is the first time ever that the pilot has ever been available in its "as aired on tv" version (with the exception, I hear, of a Japanese laserdisc box set). The version that came out on vhs and laserdisc was a theatrical version released in Europe that was designed to be a stand-alone film, had the last minute or so of the tv version excised, and added about 15 minutes of junk that makes no sense in the context of the rest of the show (the important stuff turns up in dreams later in the series). Avoid that version. If WB ever released the pilot on dvd, I worry that they may release it in the European form. The Asian dvd can be had cheaply several places....I think for about $17 or so. There are many threads on it floating around.
Old 10-11-01, 07:36 PM

WHat's the masturbation scene like??

***Spoilers*** are welcome for this scene--
Old 10-12-01, 11:49 AM
Bad Empire Tylenol Clone

I don't get why people don't understand Mulholland Drive. I understood it right away, and I can explain it in probably 2 sentences.
Old 10-12-01, 12:33 PM
Suspended

Michael Wilmington of The Chicago Tribune gave it ****. Haven't read Eberts' yet though.
Old 10-12-01, 03:18 PM

the opinion of someone who has not seen much Lynch - Spellbinding

I am not very well versed in Lynch's work, so I cannot really comment on if this film is overly derivative of his past work, but I can say this is one of the best films I have seen all year. Perhaps everything should go together, but I cannot see how that could be possible, so I am viewing this film as a surreal experience. I don't think anything is supposed to fit together in a competely logical way. The first 15 minutes of the film were good, but nothing great, and I thought that (as someone mentioned before) this is just weird for weird's sake. I couldn't have been more wrong. The rest of the film had me in a trance. I was spellbound. Perhaps I have been thinking more about dreams after seeing Waking Life a few days ago, but this film captures that feeling of a dream perfectly. Sometimes they are so vivid they have to be true. Others are realistic, but slightly off kilter. And some are just a mixture of previous dreams and thoughts mixed together and tossed out in ways only our subconscious (and apparantly David Lynch) could imagine.

Some of the scenes in this film are almost as emotional as anything I have watched, even if there is no real rhyme or reason to why they are there or how they fit with the rest of the film. They are filmed so beautifully and with such skill that they just take over, you can't look away. Scene for scene this film is amazingly written and directed.

The acting is also incredible. Both of the lead actresses deserve oscar nominations and every supporting character is portrayed very well. I especially liked the actor who played the director. There are some funny scenes, but in general the mood is, well, undescribable.

I recommend this film whole heartedly, especially to people who may have seen one Lynch film and did not particulary care for it. Go see this movie with an open mind, and let its mood and dream like atmosphere envelope you.
Old 10-12-01, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mulholland Drive is a great film! Best film I've seen this year by far!

I saw Mulholland Drive last night and thought it was great. Just to let you know that I don't drool over everything that Lynch does, I'm not crazy about The Straight Story and I think Wild at Heart is so so too.

Spoiler:
My theory of the film is that the first 2/3 of the film is the idealized dream world that Diane Selwyn imagined what Hollywood would be like when she moved there from Canada to become an actress, and the last 1/3 of the film is the reality of what actually happened to her (and thousands of others who try to break into the movies/TV) and end up being extremely disappointed, depressed and either go back to their home town or end up getting involved in the seamier side of LA to make ends meet.

Diane came out to Hollywood with stars in her eyes and fantasies of making it big and being famous and everyone being part of one big happy world (Hollywood, the film industry, etc.), but then she get socked in the face by the cold reality of a dog-eat-dog cold merciless industry with the back stabbing, the career climbing, and relationships based on power or what can you do for me that often occur, and ended up in a downward spiral that led to her blowing her brains out.

After seeing the film I've been reading different reviews of the film and Michael Wilmington of the Chicago Tribune said that, "[David] Lynch confirmed, when I talked to him at Cannes, that one section of "Mulholland Drive" is clearly intended as dream and another as reality though I'll leave it to you to decide which is which and why."

That's what I took from the film. I didn't find it complicated or too hard to follow. I think MD is his best film since Blue Velvet, though I like Lost Highway quite a bit too.

cheers, Tony Block

http://alliance.zap2it.com/custom/me...9034-1,00.html

Last edited by Tony Block; 10-12-01 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-12-01, 07:58 PM
Bad Empire Tylenol Clone

Tony,

That is exactly it. Except there's like an hour and a half's worth of material that is totally unrelated and there for weirdness's sake. Not to mention that that story is pretty stupid in itself. I don't know why everyone is getting conned into thinking this is good.
Old 10-12-01, 10:07 PM
Banned by request

I just saw Mulholland Drive, and I loved it! Is it Lynch's best work since Blue Velvet? I don't know, I have a real soft spot for Wild At Heart (and we can't ignore Twin Peaks, even if it was for TV).

Did anyone else think there was some similarity to L'Avventura and Eyes Wide Shut (which have quite a lot in common anyway)? The scene in the club really hit that home for me. Wonder if anyone else noticed that.

And, Gladiator Crowe, I think your name tells us why you didn't like this movie.
Old 10-13-01, 09:58 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Suprmallet:
And, Gladiator Crowe, I think your name tells us why you didn't like this movie.

OUCH! And I think we just found out why you're called Suprmallet!

By the way, Gladiator Crowe, when so many people are singing MULHOLLAND DRIVE's praises, and you're (relatively) the only one denouncing it, isn't it just possible that the masses aren't being conned so much as you're just not the right state of aesthetic mind to appreciate what Lynch does so well? I mean, you know what they say about people who believe everybody else has it wrong, and they're the only ones aware of the truth...

Last edited by Filmmaker; 10-13-01 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-13-01, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Suprmallet

Did anyone else think there was some similarity Eyes Wide Shut?
Definitely. The last time I was really entranced by a film was when I saw Eyes Wide Shut. Kubrick and Lynch both create this dream like atmosphere that just slowly lulls you into submission.
Old 10-13-01, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lynch is a master artist and craftsman. I always maintained it, and this movie has confirmed it for me again. It might become one of his very best in my esteem.

I am seeing it again tonight because I can't possibly form a 100% valid-feeling response to it yet--it's just too rich.

But the fact that he made such a beautiful film out of what was a disastrously received TV pilot (ABC, thanks for your short-sightedness) is something I celebrate. I expect to get repeated rewards from watching this one tonight and in the future.
Old 10-13-01, 11:38 PM
Banned by request

I just saw the movie, and I'm starting to understand it (my friend thinks he's got it, but I know I've hardly scratched the surface). This is definitely one movie that demands repeated viewings. I hope I can see it again as soon as possible.

And, forgetting all discussion of art for a moment, Laura Elena Harring and Naomi Watts are SO damn hot!

Okay, testosterone moment over.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.