Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Glengary Glenross and Wallstreet

Old 05-10-01, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just wanted to get some input on these two movies. I haven't watched either of them, but I really liked Boiler Room. Are either of these worth getting?

Thanks!
Old 05-10-01, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glenngarry Glen Ross is a great movie, but... unfortunately, it isn't available on DVD yet.

But, IMHO, both of these movies are vastly superior to Boiler Room.
Old 05-10-01, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wall Street is a classic.

Glengarry Glen Ross, actually, I found to be boring. I was about 17 when I saw it, though, so my impressions could be totally off. I do hear a lot of people write a lot of good things about it.

- David Stein
Old 05-10-01, 04:18 PM
Banned

My favorite movies of all time are Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, The Godfather, and Wall Street.
Just to show you how much I love this movie. I personally thought Glengarry Glen Ross was just OK.
Old 05-10-01, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I read Glengarry Glen Ross, which is a play by David Mamet, before I viewed the film. The play is short and does not take longer than a couple of hours to read even if you are a poor reader like me. I think the film was excellent. The environment is superb and not to mention the outstanding actor crew consisting of Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Alec Baldwin, Alan Arkin, Ed Harris, Kevin Spacey, and Jonathan Pryce. The story can seem slow, but the dialogues between the actors, camera movement, mise en scene, and the lightening of the film brings out a story that is both complex and humane at the same time. One of the better films that have been bypassed by many, so do not miss it. I want this one on DVD.

Wall Street, I liked this film as well. This is a contemporary masterpiece, which should not be missed. I can only say, do not miss this one.

Good luck.
Old 05-10-01, 10:59 PM
Banned

despite what anyone ever tells you, glengarry glen ross is one of the only good plays ever, and an even better movie. wall street is extremely so-so, and it wouldn't be had Michael Douglas and Charlie Sheen not been in it
Old 05-12-01, 09:51 AM

Glenngary Glenn Ross is worth seeing for the acting performances alone. Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris, Alec Baldwin and Alan Arkin are all incredible in this movie. It is definetly a dilouge driven film, there is no real action so to speak,Just a top notch cast with a well written script.
Old 05-12-01, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glengarry is great. It's also one of the most quotable movies ever. Wall Street is good and well worth seeing. Don't have the DVD though.
Old 05-14-01, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for all of your input!
Old 03-20-04, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

can you say BUMP?

anyway, just saw Glenngary Glenn Ross and while I agree the acting was top notch, I found the movie to be dull and for the most part uninteresting. I was really looking forward to it, but ultimately it just didn't do it for me.

I thought I would share, though I doubt anyone cares
Old 03-20-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Glenngary had great dialogue in it....but I agree the movie was a bit lacking.
Old 03-20-04, 10:48 PM

great movies, they will be in my library some day!!
Old 03-21-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
The best modern movie by far on the subject of business is Other People's Money. Unlike the admittedly well made Wall Street, OPM actually understands economics and business. Unfortunately, it's not yet on DVD.

Glengarry Glen Ross is a masterpiece.
Old 03-21-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by movielib

Glengarry Glen Ross is a masterpiece.
YES!! it's been in my top ten of all-time ever since I screened a copy for a radio interveiw...way back then. it's outstanding.
Old 03-22-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Moving to Movie Talk Forum.

- David Stein
Old 03-22-04, 05:59 PM

wow bumping an almost 3 year old thread,i am impressed lol,might even be somekind of record

I really like glen ross great movie,still think Wallstreet is a classic though so i would give that one the edge,if anyone has'nt seen either i would suggest watching both
Old 03-22-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Considering the bargain prices on both of these classics, I would pick up both if you haven't already.

DDD has the 2D SE of GGR for $8 and change, and WM B&M has WS for $5.50. At less then $15 out the door for both, they are trly DVD essentials.

The Alec Baldwin monolouge alone is worth eight bucks in my opinion, but that is just me.
Old 03-22-04, 06:34 PM
Banned

Wall Street however is believable.

Glengary..nobody talks like that. It's similar to As good as it gets.
Old 03-22-04, 06:55 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Both are really cheap, too - around $9 for GGR and the Wall Street SE can be found in WalMart bargain bin for a cool $5.88.
Old 03-22-04, 06:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Scot1458
Glengary..nobody talks like that. It's similar to As good as it gets.
That's the worst arguement I've ever heard. That's Mamet's style. People don't really talk the way they do in The Big Sleep or Full Mettle Jacket or The Public Enemy or The Scarlett Empress. It's called stylized dialogue and there's nothing wrong with it.

Glengary is a modern masterpiece of the highest order. Wall Street is a diverting 2 hours with a two good performances. It's not even top 5 Oliver Stone.

And I second Other People's Money which is brilliant.

Last edited by Pants; 03-22-04 at 08:34 PM.