Hundreds Held Hostage in Russia School

Community
Search

Hundreds Held Hostage in Russia School

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-04, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While we're at it we might as well get rid of all criminology departments in universities since according to chanster, we need to kill all the criminals before we start trying to understand their motives.
Where the hell did I say that? Stop putting god damn words in my mouth.

THere is a difference between criminals and terrorists.
Old 09-03-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Still probably one of the better outcomes that could have resulted. How sad is that?
Old 09-03-04, 10:49 AM
Banned

looks like the terrorists are still in command
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe...ool/index.html

Russian official: Hostages still held

BESLAN, Russia (CNN) -- Some children are still being held hostage at the school in southern Russia where a two-day siege reached a bloody climax earlier Friday, the head of the crisis headquarters at the school says.
Old 09-03-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wake up to this.

Watching the footage of the children leaving the gym just makes me angrier. I don't see how any sane individual can see this as a good way to win sympathy for their cause.

Now CNN is saying it's not over, the head terrorist is still holed up with hostages. Many of the terrorists that were killed turned out not to be Chechens. Guess we'll find out more in the hours to come.
Old 09-03-04, 10:58 AM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by MonkeyG

I wake up to this.

Watching the footage of the children leaving the gym just makes me angrier. I don't see how any sane individual can see this as a good way to win sympathy for their cause.

Now CNN is saying it's not over, the head terrorist is still holed up with hostages. Many of the terrorists that were killed turned out not to be Chechens. Guess we'll find out more in the hours to come.

Didn't we already report two days ago that most of the terrorists weren't Chechens? I thought this was confirmed, in fact, that many were Arabs. I even reported on one of the leaders. Another name that has popped up is Doku Umarov.

The wounder list is up to over 400, with nearly 200 children.
Old 09-03-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Putin, the US, Israel, and the UK, need to MERGE their forces on the Middle East an get this shit over with for good. We need to start initiating our own Jihad. I kid you not, the US will eventually be in a similar hostage situation all over it's cities in the years to come.
Old 09-03-04, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
Putin, the US, Israel, and the UK, need to MERGE their forces on the Middle East an get this shit over with for good. We need to start initiating our own Jihad. I kid you not, the US will eventually be in a similar hostage situation all over it's cities in the years to come.

As I stated earlier, throw China in there as well, and I agree. But I do not think we will see this in America. Russia is woefully unprepared for these type of attacks.

Update: It is being reported that there are no more hostages, but one terrorist remains in the school building. Some Russian security forces are keeping some people in the school until he is captured or, hopefully, killed.
Old 09-03-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk God

I agree.
Old 09-03-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Magomet Yevloyev is another name to keep an eye on. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned him yet. As Pharoh and I were discussing earlier, he is also related to the June 22 attack.

I don't have cable news anymore so I'm only reading online news agencies, but we have a "Medusa Effect", where terrorists have escaped, and are in the outlying areas of the town. More hostages are with them, and I am not sure if these were taken from the school or they just picked them up along the way.

Abu Omar As-Seyf is another name to remember. He is apparently the Al Qaeda rep in Chechnya who is, of course, a Wahabbist influence (a religion practice that Russia has outlawed--Holy Shit I wonder why). Russian Intel is now hinting more that Al Qaeda factions are responsible for the attacks on Moscow as well. I'm not sure if they are just saying this to spearhead a future attack which will gain US support, or what. But it does look like an Al Qaeda influence. Their tactics have a common theme: kill as many innocent people as possible--which is much different than a typical terrorist because the political fall-out of such acts hinders ANY kind of sympathy.
Old 09-03-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Pharoh
... Some Russian security forces are keeping some people in the school until he is captured or, hopefully, killed.
But if they capture him alive...

just imagine the interrogation techniques the Russians would use on him (or her).
Old 09-03-04, 11:19 AM

Magomet Yevloyev is another name to keep an eye on. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned him yet. As you and I were discussing earlier, he is also related to the June 22 attack.

I don't have cable news anymore so I'm only reading online news agencies, but we have a "Medusa Effect", where terrorists have escaped, and are in the outlying areas of the town. More hostages are with them, and I am not sure if these were taken from the school or they just picked them up along the way.

Abu Omar As-Seyf is another name to remember. He is apparently the Al Qaeda rep in Chechnya who is, of course, a Wahabbist influence (a religion practice that Russia has outlawed--Holy Shit I wonder why). Russian Intel is now hinting more that Al Qaeda factions are responsible for the attacks on Moscow as well.

I think it is a given that al queda in connection with Basayev were responsible.
Old 09-03-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Most likely.
Old 09-03-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by MonkeyG

Watching the footage of the children leaving the gym just makes me angrier.

I haven't hit the anger stage yet. That's coming, though.

I'm still on the verge of tears everytime I see the images of those children.
Old 09-03-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I hope Russia does what the US is afraid to do, which is, begin a mission to extract this Wahhabist Cancer that is trying to spread across the world. If Bush so much as even hints at Russia needing to take it easy, I'll bitch slap that man, I swear to God.

Overall, I think Russian forces did pretty darn good, despite the outcome. It could have gotten much worse, and they reacted on impulse when things got crazy and took advantage of the moment. I am most assurred the plan was to detonate the entire building of hostages.
Old 09-03-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is one of the most horrible things I've ever read:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/4962513.html (bugmenot info)

These sick fucks actually told one of the mothers that she could leave unharmed, but she could only take one of her two children with her. Otherwise, they'd kill all three of them.
Old 09-03-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by RoyalTea
This is one of the most horrible things I've ever read:

It makes a big difference when you hear a personal story like that.

Sadly, there are hundreds of these stories being made right now from that school.
Old 09-03-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Thor Simpson

It makes a big difference when you hear a personal story like that.

Sadly, there are hundreds of these stories being made right now from that school.
I'm really struggling to think of something more inhuman and cruel than making a mother choose which of her children has to die.

i'm drawing a blank.
Old 09-03-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by RoyalTea
I'm really struggling to think of something more inhuman and cruel than making a mother choose which of her children has to die.
I think there are a lot of things on that level that took place at this school. Many that we will never hear. It sounds like it all happened in a matter of seconds.
Old 09-03-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk God

I hope Russia does what the US is afraid to do, which is, begin a mission to extract this Wahhabist Cancer that is trying to spread across the world. If Bush so much as even hints at Russia needing to take it easy, I'll bitch slap that man, I swear to God.

Overall, I think Russian forces did pretty darn good, despite the outcome. It could have gotten much worse, and they reacted on impulse when things got crazy and took advantage of the moment. I am most assurred the plan was to detonate the entire building of hostages.
Agree

And Russia might just be getting backed into a corner enough that they will do it.
Old 09-03-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There are still kids being held. They must be scared out of their minds.

As many as 1,200 people were being held? How were they that far off?

Some of the people were drinking their own urine because of the need for liquids.
Old 09-03-04, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
As many as 1,200 people were being held? How were they that far off?
I'll bet anything the numbers were skewed on purpose by the Russians.
Old 09-03-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

VinVega,

What needs to happen is a quick death, followed by going back to a normal routine of daily life. In other words, when a terrorist or group of terrorists are caught and captured, you immediately take them to a wall, shoot them point-blank in the forehead, and just leave them there to rought for several months. In the meantime, you make no official statements about what you did, nothing. You just go back to fighting terrorism. When journalists ask what happened, you simply say "they are gone". When asked specifically where, you reply, "they are gone", open a gum wrapper, and stick a piece of gum in your mouth and ask what the next question is.

Terrorism needs to be de-mythified and de-herofied. The more the media around the world report about it, the more terrorism is a myth and becomes an act that others want to achieve and be praised for. The more the US makes laws around it and makes symbolic ways of fighting it (a la Terrorism Temperature Gauge), terrorism will be stronger.
Old 09-03-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Russians Storm School; 150 May Be Dead

BESLAN, Russia - Commandos stormed a school Friday in southern Russia and battled separatist rebels holding 1,200 hostages, as crying children, some naked and covered in blood, fled through explosions and gunfire. An official said the death toll could be significantly higher than 150.

Whole story here
Old 09-03-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,279 Likes on 731 Posts
This is just a smaller scale of real world events. If you go after these people too fast you have too many whiners and people saying you are a war monger, you didn't talk to them to understand their feelings long enough, more inspections, hey the whole world doesn't agree.. wtf do you think you're doing? All that stuff. It's not that the U.S. is afraid to do things, it's that our citizens have become whimps.
Old 09-03-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

These people are sick fucks..aimed at killing children..they aren't people, they are animals.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.