Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > Key Thread Archive
Reload this Page >

Hundreds Held Hostage in Russia School

Hundreds Held Hostage in Russia School

Old 09-03-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,239 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally posted by chanster
Keep trying to justify their actions, go ahead. You seem to have a knack of continuing to justify actions on one side of the equation.
Wtf is wrong with you people. Can't you make the difference between justification and understanding? Did you hear me say "it's ok for them to do this because they are desperate?" Give me a break...
Old 09-03-04, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Understanding killing school children? WTF is wrong with you!
Old 09-03-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by chanster
Understanding killing school children? WTF is wrong with you!
Yes, understanding as in thinking. If you try to understand what led Hitler to kill millions of jews, does that mean you are trying to justify what he did? Your comments are completely idiotic.
Old 09-03-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The special envoy for the Italian newspaper La Repubblica says he's seen at least 200 dead bodies.
Old 09-03-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by eXcentris
Wtf is wrong with you people. Can't you make the difference between justification and understanding?
You don't think we can understand the motives of the terrorists? Well surprise, we can, we just don't give it any credence. I can understand the technical aspects of the terrorists rationale all day long, but I don't think they're justified - I don't think they deserve even a modicum of respect - I don't think they should be defended in the least.
Old 09-03-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, understanding as in thinking. If you try to understand what led Hitler to kill millions of jews, does that mean you are trying to justify what he did? Your comments are completely idiotic.
Great. Lets kill all of the terrorists, stamp out their bullshit and then try to understand them. You didn't need to understand Hitler back in the 1940s to say that his actions were evil and needed to be stopped.
Old 09-03-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
I don't think they should be defended in the least.
For the last time, understanding has absolutely nothing to do with justifying or defending anything.
Old 09-03-04, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice personal attacks!!!!
Old 09-03-04, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you hear me say "it's ok for them to do this because they are desperate?" Give me a break...
eX, it's painfully obvious where you place fault. You may not be advocating terrorism, and you may not be justifying terrorist acts, but whenever these things come up, you never attempt to 'understand' the attacked, and always try to point out the motives of the attackers. How the hell else are we supposed to interpret this??

"We were not attacked for what we did wrong - we were attacked for what we did right."
Old 09-03-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You go through all these threads with light condemnation of terrorists or trying to shift blame and then when challenged you go "of course I condemn them!" only after being challenged.
Old 09-03-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

eX, it's painfully obvious where you place fault. You may not be advocating terrorism, and you may not be justifying terrorist acts, but whenever these things come up, you never attempt to 'understand' the attacked, and always try to point out the motives of the attackers. How the hell else are we supposed to interpret this??
Hiro asked a question, I was merely trying to answer it. Next time, I'll make sure I check my brain out the door and simply say:"The are all scumbags, who cares why they do it, let's kill them all."

While we're at it we might as well get rid of all criminology departments in universities since according to chanster, we need to kill all the criminals before we start trying to understand their motives.
Old 09-03-04, 09:07 AM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts
I understand the point eX is making. Whether I agree with or not is irrelevant. I do not believe he is in any way an apologist for terrorists and their actions. Further, can we please drop this silly sideline? This is too tragic and important of an event to bicker like this now.
pum

You don't think we can understand the motives of the terrorists? Well surprise, we can, we just don't give it any credence. I can understand the technical aspects of the terrorists rationale all day long, but I don't think they're justified - I don't think they deserve even a modicum of respect - I don't think they should be defended in the least.
very well said.
i don't know understanding Hitler will achieve anything. you had to send in soldiers to finish the job anyway.
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mod Note: All of you take a step back and calm down
Old 09-03-04, 09:08 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
settle down guys, settle down, there are no winners here
Old 09-03-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Pharoh
I understand the point eX is making. Whether I agree with or not is irrelevant. I do not believe he is in any way an apologist for terrorists and their actions. Further, can we please drop this silly sideline? This is too tragic and important of an event to bicker like this now.
Thank you.
Old 09-03-04, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Grubert
The special envoy for the Italian newspaper La Repubblica says he's seen at least 200 dead bodies.

Reports I am seeing are listing "dozens" of bodies still in the school. Many died when the roof collapsed. A precise count is impossible at this time. At least two hundred former hostages are alreadly hospitalised, with 100 of them being children.
An additional hundred or so others have also been taken for treatment.
Old 09-03-04, 09:16 AM

A reports now claims that the bodies of 100 hostages have been found in the gym. No word yet as to the makeup of this group.

The scum got cut off, got scared, ran, the "great" Russian special forces weren't prepared, and this shit happened this way. Damn! This sucks!
Old 09-03-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just keeps getting worse.
Old 09-03-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope they capture some of the terrorists alive.
Old 09-03-04, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by Heat
I hope they capture some of the terrorists alive.

At least ten are already confirmed killed.

And for the families, I hope they don't. I do get your point however.
Old 09-03-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Off topic; Guys, sorry, but I've got to respond to eX here. After this, I'm more than happy to take it to email.

Hiro asked a question, I was merely trying to answer it. Next time, I'll make sure I check my brain out the door and simply say:"The are all scumbags, who cares why they do it, let's kill them all."
What's wrong with what I said? I agreed that your weren't advocating terrorism or justifying terrorist acts... what more do you want?

The thing is that I understand why the terrorists want to kill people, but I am unwilling to do anything to change their thought process, or to work with them, or to make the world better for them. Before you react to that statement, please read on...

I am unwilling to convert to Islam, and I am unwilling to live in an Islamic state, which is precisely what these people want. I can understand all day that all the Islamicists want is more land to call their own and to rule it by Wahibism, I get it, okay? That's fine and dandy for them, but when it conflicts with free societies, then we have a problem and naturally we have to take sides.

Now, in order to steer this thread back on course, I welcome your response at [email protected].
Old 09-03-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry Mutley, I was somewhat pissed when I wrote that.

Let's just drop it ok. Well in this thread anyway.
Old 09-03-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a problem.

And the last few posts were posted as I was writing that. It seems the situation is indeed very bad. My heart goes out to the Russians.
Old 09-03-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

1407: 10 hostage-takers killed in shoot-outs - Interfax
1345: More than 100 bodies found in school gym - Interfax
1330: Security services say their assault on school was not planned
1322: More than 400 people injured, officials say
1125: Security forces attack house where some rebels thought to be hiding - reports
1115: All hostages reported out of school
0958: Special forces enter school
0930: School roof said to have collapsed
0905: Explosions and gunfire heard. Soldiers run to building
Saddly, it looks like the initial unconfirmed report of 100+ dead might be correct.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.