Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > Key Thread Archive
Reload this Page >

Hundreds Held Hostage in Russia School

Hundreds Held Hostage in Russia School

Old 09-03-04, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
From Reuters:

"BESLAN, Russia (Reuters) - Hostages escaped from a besieged Russian school amid heavy gunfire, explosions and utter chaos on Friday.

A Reuters witness at the scene saw children covered in blood being brought by soldiers from the school in Beslan, North Ossetia. People were seen running, screaming and crying from the school and four helicopters were seen hovering nearby. "

----

Well, I think this beginning of the end.
Old 09-03-04, 04:52 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
yeah just saw it, they were shooting at the crowd outside, wounding a couple of people

The kids are in their friggin underwear for god's sake, i hope they aren't abusing the kids inside

gonna be a messy ending sadly regardless
Old 09-03-04, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
Ok, I just translated something from www.gazeta.ru

Apparently, Russian forces have penetrated the first floor of what I think is the gymnasium.

They are hitting simultaneously from all sides.

Jesus, some of these children look emaciated and horrible.
Old 09-03-04, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
foxnews is showing live coverage of it and giving pretty up-to-date info about the progress if you guys don't feel like translating russian websites.
Old 09-03-04, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is crazy.

I hope no more innocents get hurt.
Old 09-03-04, 06:22 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
they are saying that the soldiers have control of the building now

cant believe there wouldn't have been any casualties
Old 09-03-04, 07:04 AM

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts
I knew I should have stayed up.

Apparently, this was not a planned siege. Russian forces were invited in, through negotiations with the terrorists, to remove the bodies of the dead. When the forces entered the building some militants tried to make a break for it, engaging in firefights with the Russian forces. Simultaneously, a small number of the hostages at this time ran out of the building. Confusion ensued, as some of the terrorists then changed into civilian clothes, trying to blend in with the fleeing hostages, and more Russian forces stormed into the school.

The school was lined with explosives, including the gym, where most of the hostages were being held, being filled with mines stuffed with screws and bolts. It was at the time of all of this action, peoples going in and out of the school, that the large explosions were heard, and that part of the roof collapsed. Upon this, the bulk of the Russian security forces moved in.

A small group of the terrorists actually then escaped the condon around the school and are believed to be holed up in a house near-by. It is not clear whether they have any hostages with them. The first group of militants that tried to blend in with the fleeing civilians are all believed to be captured.

All the hostages who were in the gym area, thought to be the bulk, have been evacuated. The remainder of the terrorists, those not already captured, killed, or holed up in the outside house, have moved to classrooms in the school, barricading themselves in against the security forces, and engaging them in battle.

A Russian special forces unit based in the northern Caucasuses is said to be engaging the terrorists who fled and who are occupying the nearby house. Tank blasts have been heard, as well as grenade launchers. North Ossetia and Russian military forces have blocked all escape routes out of Beslan in case any militants have gotten away unnoticed.

Looks like the terrorists lost their nerves, thankfully, and didn't want to blow themselves up. Also looks like most of the hostages will be okay, though much remains unanswered at this piont. Here is hoping for the best.
Old 09-03-04, 07:14 AM

Except for an sporadic small-arms fire, the fighting at the school appears to be over. The militants who were holed up in the classrooms have either somehow escaped, or more likely, have been eliminated. However, all of the militants are not accounted for.

Unfortunately, witnesses at the scene report at least five small children are dead.

A fire has broken out in one of the school buildings, encompassing some local houses as well.
Old 09-03-04, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the report, Pharoh, that's more than anything I could find through Drudge at the moment.

The school was lined with explosives, including the gym, where most of the hostages were being held, being filled with mines stuffed with screws and bolts.
And people question why some of us take a hard line on these motherfuckers. Anyway, glad to see the situation come to a seemingly somewhat positive outcome. A handful of dead children (each one of whom means the world to their families), a few scattered militants, perhaps gone to the four winds never to receive justice, and some damage to the school... if that's the extent of it, that's actually pretty damned good, considering the potential the situation originally held.
Old 09-03-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 291 Posts
I just heard a report on the news (unconfirmed) of 150 dead, 300+ injured.

Report also said that all hell broke loose after a vehicle exploded on a mine. Apparently, 13 militants have managed to escape.
Old 09-03-04, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

150 dead is not so good, but then again, we still don't know how many total were in there. It's a shame that anyone had to die, but it's a blessing that they all didn't have to.
Old 09-03-04, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I want to kill someone right now. This is on the level of 9-11 in depravity and unbelievable inhumanity. WTF is wrong with this world?
Old 09-03-04, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Hiro11
I want to kill someone right now. This is on the level of 9-11 in depravity and unbelievable inhumanity. WTF is wrong with this world? [/B]
Radical Islamicism? Just a guess.
Old 09-03-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I want to kill someone right now. This is on the level of 9-11 in depravity and unbelievable inhumanity. WTF is wrong with this world?
Part of the answer is in your first sentence.
Old 09-03-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by eXcentris
...but I'm not taking over schools full of children. See the difference? The 'ol thought vs. action conundrum.
Old 09-03-04, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

...but I'm not taking over schools full of children. See the difference? The 'ol thought vs. action conundrum.
I realize that but there is still truth in that statement. Ask yourself why a lot of Chechen terrorists are women and why they volunteer for the job. Father dead, husband dead, son dead, not to mention the fair probability that they have questioned, abused and raped. So they probably started by saying "I so feel like killing someone right now". There's more to that mindset then simply religious fundamentalism.
Old 09-03-04, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just like a Canadian... the retaliatory gets the call.
Old 09-03-04, 08:19 AM

I realize that but there is still truth in that statement. Ask yourself why a lot of Chechen terrorists are women and why they volunteer for the job. Father dead, husband dead, son dead, not to mention the fair probability that they have questioned, abused and raped. So they probably started by saying "I so feel like killing someone right now". There's more to that mindset then simply religious fundamentalism.

But considering that most of these militants weren't Chechen, I don't know if that hold much water. These were fundamentalist Islamists in all their "glory."
Old 09-03-04, 08:24 AM

There are conflicting reports now about whether any terrorists remain in the school building. One report states there are no scum left in the school, while another reports says five remain holed up in the classroom area, where they are providing cover fire for their sick comrades as they attempt to flee from the houses towards the Capial. Supposedly, the border with Ingushetia has been closed off. Not sure if any militants have fully escaped yet.

I also haven't been able to verify the number of deaths, nor have I seen reports indicating anything about 150 dead. I have seen three reports stating the injured number is now up to at least 350 people, including many children. A small number of Russian special ops were killed during the storming, as well as one Russian rescue worker.
Old 09-03-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's more to that mindset then simply religious fundamentalism.
But that is the main part.
Old 09-03-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't get me wrong, Putin has been unbelievably rapacious in his treatment of Chechans. But let's stick to facts: you don't know who these people who took over the school are and I don't know who they are. I wouldn't ascribe motivations to people unless I was certain what they were. To be honest, I don't give a shit who they are and what motivates them, all I can do is judge their actions.

If you want to have civilization, there has to be some basic rules. One of these rules is you don't take over a school with 850 kids inside. If you do, you've lost your humanity and lost any possible respect I might have for your aims. I'm sick of people trying to say, in effect " look at this from the terrorist's perspective". Attacking innocents (or the euphamism "soft targets" that the spineless media has now latched onto) is never justified. At some point you have to call evil evil and be done with it. People want to believe that everyone has some kernal of goodness and redemption inside of them, and I'd like to believe that's true. But sometimes people do something so awful that I just don't care.

These people have reached that point for me. That doesn't mean I'm going to buy and Aeroflot ticket and a pistol and kill them. I just don't particularly care what happens to them.
Old 09-03-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fuckin Savages...
Old 09-03-04, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Keep trying to justify their actions, go ahead. You seem to have a knack of continuing to justify actions on one side of the equation.
Old 09-03-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If you want to have civilization, there has to be some basic rules. One of these rules is you don't take over a school with 850 kids inside. If you do, you've lost your humanity and lost any possible respect I might have for your aims. I'm sick of people trying to say, in effect " look at this from the terrorist's perspective". Attacking innocents (or the euphamism "soft targets" that the spineless media has now latched onto) is never justified. At some point you have to call evil evil and be done with it. People want to believe that everyone has some kernal of goodness and redemption inside of them, and I'd like to believe that's true. But sometimes people do something so awful that I just don't care.
Well said. I would just that dead terrorists don't have perspectives.
Old 09-03-04, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you do, you've lost your humanity and lost any possible respect I might have for your aims.
I'm sick of people trying to say, in effect " look at this from the terrorist's perspective". Attacking innocents (or the euphamism "soft targets" that the spineless media has now latched onto) is never justified.
I'm not trying to justify anything nor did I intend to single you out, I was merely trying to give you a (partial) answer to your question. Desperation often lead people to lose their humanity.

Pharoh, I was not specifically referring to the hostage situation in the school.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.