Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > Key Thread Archive
Reload this Page >

Tidal Waves Kill More Than 120,000 in Asia

Tidal Waves Kill More Than 120,000 in Asia

Old 12-27-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 152 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Nate Burkus, a Chicago resident, and Oprah regular was vacationing in Sri Lanka when the earthquake hit. He says he hung on to a TELEPHONE pole when the water rose. Everything he brought with is gone -- his clothes, wallet, and (probably most important) his passport.

I'm just thinking -- in a situation like this -- how do you approach the US Government and prove who you are and the fact that you need to get home? I imagine you'd get an airlift from Sri Lanka to somewhere like Japan or China where you can catch a commericial flight, but once you reach the US, how can you re-enter without a visa or passport? Could you possibly be quarantined until somebody gathers enough documents that can prove your status?
Crisis and Emergencies Abroad
Old 12-27-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

Apparently, there is a big problem with the bodies being buried in mass graves, because the locals are just digging wherever, and putting them in graves which will eventually be contaminated in the coming weeks due to deterioration.

Hek, the number just rose to 23,000. I wouldn't be surprised if this goes to 35,000 dead. This is just crazy.
Old 12-27-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...d_041227123801

"The United States stands ready to offer all appropriate assistance to those nations most affected including Sri Lanka, the Maldives, Thailand, and Indonesia, as well as the other countries impacted," the White House said in a statement.
The whole article is about material aid that countries have sent to the area. Millions of dollars, drinking water, doctors, etc. And the U.S. "stands ready." WTF? Ready for what? Something to happen? And all we have is a White House statement?

Now maybe it's just poor media coverage, but after reading what all of those other nations are doing to see that my own hasn't done jack shit is disappointing.
Old 12-27-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, the US currently has a few dozen other hands in national emergencies around the globe. I can't say as much for other countries. But it's not like the US is thumbing their noses at this incident. Far from. I would expect volunteers from all the states to be making headlines shortly.
Old 12-27-04, 11:08 AM

Video: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/s...sian%20Quakes\
Old 12-27-04, 11:10 AM

More video here: (click on Tsunami Death Toll Rises)

http://www.woai.com/video/
Old 12-27-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've been reading a few sites in Sri Lanka, and it's said 8000+ are missing just from their area.
Old 12-27-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Duran
From http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...d_041227123801

The whole article is about material aid that countries have sent to the area. Millions of dollars, drinking water, doctors, etc. And the U.S. "stands ready." WTF? Ready for what? Something to happen? And all we have is a White House statement?

Now maybe it's just poor media coverage, but after reading what all of those other nations are doing to see that my own hasn't done jack shit is disappointing.
stands ready - I think that it might mean that the United States is willing to help, but just wants to be asked first.
Old 12-27-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe Saudi Arabia could chip in a few hundred million. After all, the areas that were hit were mostly Muslim, if I am not mistaken. I'd like to see how much support the Muslim nations give their Muslim brothers and sisters. Should be interesting.

Also, I wonder what effect this will have on the stock market, since we have so much outsourcing in the areas affected. Looks like no Dell Customer Service for a few months, for starters.
Old 12-27-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I heard 2 things that blew me away and I wonder if anyone else has heard this or confirmed this.

1. Sumatra was literally moved 100 feet south of it's pre-quake position.
2. The quake was so large that when it hit, the Earth's gravitation was affected.
Not the Earth's gravitation...the Earth's rotation. I don't know exactly how, but I'd have to guess it gave us a little temporary wobble.
Old 12-27-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Maybe Saudi Arabia could chip in a few hundred million. After all, the areas that were hit were mostly Muslim, if I am not mistaken. I'd like to see how much support the Muslim nations give their Muslim brothers and sisters. Should be interesting.

Also, I wonder what effect this will have on the stock market, since we have so much outsourcing in the areas affected. Looks like no Dell Customer Service for a few months, for starters.
My thoughts exactly. Also, it shouldn't be just money, but physical labor. These countries need thousands of supplies, but also they need people to clean up the mess.
Old 12-27-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Huh? Sri Lanka, India, Burma, the Maldives and Thailand are not Muslim countries. And these make up already 75% of the dead. The only Muslim nations affected are Indonesia, Malaysia and Somalia.
Old 12-27-04, 11:44 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Saudi Arabia help???? Yeah right!! All their talk about brotha's and sista's are just talk. They really don't give a crap what happens!
Old 12-27-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,099 Likes on 738 Posts
Originally Posted by RoyalTea
stands ready - I think that it might mean that the United States is willing to help, but just wants to be asked first.

True. Some countries refuse America's help in these situations. Hey, it's their right to do so.
Old 12-27-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, then I direct my statement towards Indonesia, Malaysia and Somalia then.

I'd still be interested in what countries offer support.
Old 12-27-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Second thing (amazing the amount of misinformation from one post!). The India "Silicon Valley" is nowhere near the areas of disaster. They are located in the West coast, around Mumbai or near the capital in New Delhi.
Old 12-27-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Government announces Rs.10 million relief for Sri Lankan earthquake victims: ISLAMABAD, Dec 27: Government announced Rs.10 million relief package for the earthquake victims of Sri Lanka, keeping in view the tragic loss of lives and property caused by earthquake and tidal waves. Under the package, relief goods comprising tents, medicines, drinking water and food items are being sent to Sri Lanka today. Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz directed to immediately send the relief goods to Sri Lanka. A plane of Pakistan Army "C-130 carrying the relief goods is leaving for Sri Lanka today. Prime Minister said that Pakistan has taken immediate action and sending the relief goods to Sri Lanka in response to their request. "It is first step from Pakistan and we will send more assistance to them", he added. (PPI) (Posted @ 14:00 PST)

Iran, Turkey who have had experiences with earthquake disasters are also helping out.

Don't have the time to scan the websites to see which other countries help out ..
Old 12-27-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,099 Likes on 738 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Not the Earth's gravitation...the Earth's rotation. I don't know exactly how, but I'd have to guess it gave us a little temporary wobble.
Ok, fair enough. But doesn't the rotation have something to do with the gravity? I'm not saying people started floating around like the Klingon ship in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, but I know I heard gravity when this was discussed.

Either way...wow.
Old 12-27-04, 11:59 AM
Banned

them number of deaths keep on rising
Old 12-27-04, 12:00 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts
I wonder what happened to all the boats and ships out in the ocean at that time. The Indian Ocean is vast and there must have been thousands of boats out there. What would happen if they were hit by a sudden 20-foot, 500 mph wave?
Old 12-27-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Grimfarrow
Second thing (amazing the amount of misinformation from one post!). The India "Silicon Valley" is nowhere near the areas of disaster. They are located in the West coast, around Mumbai or near the capital in New Delhi.
Labor costs are even lower in Sri Lanka than India, and British and US companies are making it--were making it--their main destination now. India is becoming oversaturated, and Sri Lanka is--or maybe was, the main choice. Sri Lanka was already beginning to expand before this major tragedy.

http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_f...ntent_id=76260

That's a December 8 article.
Banned

I would say those numbers will probably never get accounted for.
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,029 Likes on 679 Posts
Rotation has nothing to do with gravity. Gravity is two objects being attracted to each other. The only variables are the masses of the objects and the distance apart.

Rotational force is different. If you've ever been in a Roundup carnival ride, you've noticed that the spinning presses you against the outside of the seat. That's caused by simple acceleration. Your body is trying to go in a straight line, and the seat is pulling you in and to the left. That force towards the center of the ride is called centripetal force. You can see how it can be used to create artificial gravity in space.
Old 12-27-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wonder if this change in the earth will affect the earth overall? The earth is finely tuned, and successive geological changes could really screw up things for folks like us. Time to watch Day After Tomorrow and Deep Impact.
Old 12-27-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

it should affect CPU supplies. I think most of Intel's and AMD's CPUs say assembled in Malaysia. The chips are made around the world and then flown in to get assembled into the packaging in Malaysia.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.