Tidal Waves Kill More Than 120,000 in Asia

Old 12-27-04, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Iran had over 30,000 people killed last year in an earthquake.
Old 12-27-04, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Per Guinness ... Highest Earthquake Death Toll Of Modern Times

The highest earthquake death toll in modern times was caused by one that hit Tangshan, China, on July 28, 1976. The official figure of 655,237 deaths was first adjusted to 750,000 and then to 242,000.
Highest Death Toll From A Flood

An estimated 900,000 people were killed when the Huang He (Yellow River), Huayan Kou, China, burst its banks in October 1887.
Highest Death Toll From An Earthquake

An earthquake that struck the Shaanxi, Shanxi, and Henan Provinces of China on February 2, 1556, is believed to have killed approximately 830,000 people.
Old 12-27-04, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, did a search, and Bam (Iran last january) got around 42,000 people. One in 1976 in China killed 242,000 people (Guinness Book web site), which, I guess makes it the highest modern one.
Old 12-27-04, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuck this kinda figures puts terrorist attacks and serial killers into perpective doesn't it

The death toll is already upto 25000, i reckon it will be 40000 by the time it finishes and so many lives ruined

I bet Saddam or Bin Laden is gonna try claim responsibilty " we prayed to budda or who the fuck they worship for this to happen"

Stupid pricks

To the religious amongst you, why did God let this happen ?

Not having a go at all the jesus nuthuggers or anything , just curious
Old 12-27-04, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
To the religious amongst you, why did God let this happen ?

I think that this shows two things:

1) God is a kinda "hands off" guy."

2) The spirit and influence of God will be seen in the rescue efforts.
Old 12-27-04, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fuck this kinda figures puts terrorist attacks and serial killers into perpective doesn't it

The death toll is already upto 25000, i reckon it will be 40000 by the time it finishes and so many lives ruined
Hey Des. Long time, no hear. You're right about the terrorist attacks being put into persepective. Even the most devastating ones like the WTC have been nowhere near this kind of death toll.

But, it doesn't make it any more palpable though. Would be nice if we could avoid both.
Old 12-27-04, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think it's fair to compare this to terrorist attacks.

Natural disasters are inevitible. they WILL happen. That doesn't make deaths incurred during natural disasters any less horrible, but it seems even worse when so many deaths occur at the hands of man instead of at the hands of mother nature.
Old 12-27-04, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...recordid=49217
Highest Death Toll From An Earthquake
An earthquake that struck the Shaanxi, Shanxi, and Henan Provinces of China on February 2, 1556, is believed to have killed approximately 830,000 people.
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...recordid=47757
Highest Earthquake Death Toll Of Modern Times
The highest earthquake death toll in modern times was caused by one that hit Tangshan, China, on July 28, 1976. The official figure of 655,237 deaths was first adjusted to 750,000 and then to 242,000.
Yikes!

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...recordid=49198
Highest Death Toll From A Tsunami
Following an earthquake off the coast of Sanriku, Japan, in 1896, approximately 27,000 people were drowned when a tsunami hit the coast. A wave that struck Shirahama had an amplitude of 38.2 m (125 ft).
Unfortunately, I think we might have a new record for tsunamis

Brian

edit: Damn early birds! (I also never looked at the 3rd page before replying)
Old 12-27-04, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
I think that this shows two things:

1) God is a kinda "hands off" guy."

2) The spirit and influence of God will be seen in the rescue efforts.
Absolutely spot on

I'm so sick of hearing phrases like " it was God's will", "it was a blessing in disguise". Take some personal responsibility dammit ! If you missed the bus which happened to crash off a cliff and kill everyone it was because you were damm lucky! just like the guy who arrived earlier at the bus stop than any time this year so got this earlier bus than his usual bus and this bus crashed off a cliff was damm unlucky ! Wasn't god's will that you lived and he died.

Still just in case, to cover my bases, i'm breaking out my "i'm a jesus nuthugger and damm proud of it " compilation CD.

Has the following tracks

Kum by are - Disco remix

He's got the whole world in his hands (but he was eating some grapes which he thought were seedless but weren't so ended up spiting out some seeds, one of which dropped into the world which happened to be in his hands causing a huge tidal wave and killing thousands) - acapella version

Away in a Manager - Raunchy night version (you should see the video, that Mary in a thong leotard doing them stretches

Ok if i offended anyone religious, i don't give a fuck, your god doesn't give a fuck, why should i ?
Old 12-27-04, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Des, that's a bit harsh. Noone here is saying that there was anything good about what's happened in Indonesia/India/Sri Lanka. These things do happen, and while they would seem to be an indication of an uncaring or absence of God, it doesn't necessarily mean that that is the case.

Yes, I do feel fortunate - extremely so - that I live in an affluent society and one that hasn't born the brunt of this, or any other, major disaster. I don't think that it's any of God's will or plan though that I'm here and tens of thousands aren't. It's just luck. Pure, simple, dumb luck that I was born here and not there.

Unfortunately, the world that we live in does experience pain and torment, and I guess part of our job is to help allievate some of that pain. You're right about the personal responsibility bit, and I guess my personal responsibility is to give something to help those in that situation.

9/11 fundraising raised $534 million for 3000-odd victims and their families. There is no reason why we shouldn't (collectively as a society) be able to dig even deeper for these guys.
Old 12-27-04, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nice....
Old 12-27-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

got this off one of the news sites
Old 12-27-04, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok if i offended anyone religious, i don't give a fuck, your god doesn't give a fuck, why should i ?
Start a new thread for that dumb shit please. This isn't the right place for it. Kthxbye.
Old 12-27-04, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's an incredible graphic
Old 12-27-04, 08:19 AM
Suspended

And it's not even Flash.
Old 12-27-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder what lifeform will take over once Mother Nature scours mankind off the face of the planet.
Old 12-27-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Awesome peon73
Old 12-27-04, 09:14 AM

Man, this is such a disaster. I can't even begin to imagine what sort of recovery lies ahead.
Old 12-27-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can anybody tell me how far inland these earthquakes were felt?

In the grand scheme of things, how big is a 20 foot wave?
Old 12-27-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
So this will wind up with about 40-50,000 dead and millions homeless. The floodwaters will cause disease and kill many more. I wonder what kind of response will occur. I heard this morning the EU donated $4 million. That's it? I mean, we raised over half a billion for 3000 dead on 9-11. This will take billions and it's still not going to be enough because the health, agricultural and sanitation systems are just devastated.
Old 12-27-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Can anybody tell me how far inland these earthquakes were felt?

In the grand scheme of things, how big is a 20 foot wave?
It's not the height, it's the speed with the height. The waves were moving at 500 mph. All the water along the coast is sucked out to sea, that's your first warning. At that point you've got a minute if you're lucky to seek shelter. Then all the water comes crashing in with a force strong enough to move islands, erase islands, create new ones, scour complete towns off the face of the earth.
Old 12-27-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nate Burkus, a Chicago resident, and Oprah regular was vacationing in Sri Lanka when the earthquake hit. He says he hung on to a TELEPHONE pole when the water rose. Everything he brought with is gone -- his clothes, wallet, and (probably most important) his passport.

I'm just thinking -- in a situation like this -- how do you approach the US Government and prove who you are and the fact that you need to get home? I imagine you'd get an airlift from Sri Lanka to somewhere like Japan or China where you can catch a commericial flight, but once you reach the US, how can you re-enter without a visa or passport? Could you possibly be quarantined until somebody gathers enough documents that can prove your status?
Old 12-27-04, 09:31 AM
Suspended

Maybe the money which is donated can go to an alert system. Simply rebuilding is certainly not going to help them any.
Old 12-27-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RevLiver
It's not the height, it's the speed with the height. The waves were moving at 500 mph. All the water along the coast is sucked out to sea, that's your first warning. At that point you've got a minute if you're lucky to seek shelter. Then all the water comes crashing in with a force strong enough to move islands, erase islands, create new ones, scour complete towns off the face of the earth.
Man, didn't even think about the fact that the water on the coast would be sucked out and then fire back at 500 mph.

Old 12-27-04, 09:36 AM
Suspended

Looks like the number is up to 22,000 dead.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.