Reload this Page >

WORK IN PROGRESS: listing of non-US DVD e-tailers [PART TWO]

Community
Search

WORK IN PROGRESS: listing of non-US DVD e-tailers [PART TWO]

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-02, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First I just wanna thank Autumn Nights for this great thread.

My question is where can I find a site selling Japan R2 disc's?
Unless I've totally over looked it there are none for mainstream titles from Japan.
I'm interested in getting Hard Rain, Soldier, Scream 3, and Lake Placid for their DTS tracks we can't get here in the US.

Any help out there for me?
Thanks.
Old 06-24-02, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mr.rs
First I just wanna thank Autumn Nights for this great thread.

My question is where can I find a site selling Japan R2 disc's?
Unless I've totally over looked it there are none for mainstream titles from Japan.Thanks.
Obvious choice (use a translator program):

http://www.amazon.co.jp

!!!
Old 06-25-02, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by axolotls return

Obvious choice (use a translator program):

http://www.amazon.co.jp

!!!
I came to the same conclusion a day or two after my post.
I should have done a little more research.
Old 07-07-02, 10:15 PM

To Autumn Nights (and everyone else):

First off, before I say anything else, that's an absolutely awesome listing you've got going! The detail is amazing, and has already proved extremely helpful for me and, I'm sure, many other folks. That's one massive undertaking there... I'd like to say thank you for making such a listing available to us all.

Next up, I'd like you to know that one item listed in "The Big List" is incorrect, as follows:

Defective or Discontinued DVDs :

Defective DVDs from Region One :

º http://www.laserrot.com/ (Appears to offer information on DVD and Laserdisc problems. Does it only cover region one ???)
Please note that the LaserRot site has absolutely nothing to do with defective DVDs or laserdiscs... well, not in the way you'd imagine from the title. Anyway, I can only imagine that you saw the title and incorrectly assumed it dealt with defective discs. That's okay... its happened a few time before.

The easiest way to describe LaserRot is as an all-encompassing laserdisc and DVD informational source, providing news and reviews and several other things. The only thing the site has to do with "defective" discs is that they were occasionally mentioned in the reviews or news on a per-title basis — if I reviewed a disc and it was defective, it would be mentioned in the review. There are no defective disc listings, articles on defective discs, or anything to do with laserdisc rot or the mythical DVD rot.

A little bit of history if anyone cares
With regard to the title, it came about both as a joke and a play on words. Although LaserRot was the #1 preferred internal title, the final selection was made via a group poll. A list of ten "final temp" titles were provided to a variety of people (plus any and all friends and acquaintances that could be found), and they unanimiously chose LaserRot. Well, unanimously with one exception — my wife, who thought it just plain silly. Oh well, never mind, that's what happened at the time...

Anyway, I just thought I'd set the record straight — while I'm happy to have people visit my site, I'd hate for somebody to go there specifically looking for information that simply doesn't exist.

In that regard, Autumn Nights, if you could change that listing and place LaserRot in the proper section — U.S. DVD-Reviews/News : — I'd be most appreciative. Also, LaserRot is not currently an "active" website, if you'd please make mention of it.

What's up with the website?
Just as an FYI for you and any of my previous readers still out there, it's up and running solely as a archival source for those interested in researching older DVD/LD titles or news. However, it has not been updated in four years. I got nailed by a nasty genetic disease in May '98 (that's a date I'll never forget... yowch!), and work on the site stopped dead. I've been dealing with way too many medical problems and surgeries over the last four years, and am currently recovering from several recent spinal cord surgeries. But it looks like I'm actually going to be somewhat stable for a while (woohoo!), and I'm hoping to to finally get a few things fixed (like getting ALL the LD reviews properly back online), make some needed changes later this summer, and get some more older archival LD reviews online (reprints from my really old laserdisc publication). And... maybe some other stuff.

Shut up already, okay?
Okay, I've babbled on long enough and taken up too much of everyone's time. Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for making the appropriate changes to that listing.

Again, many thanks for the listing — it is excellent in every respect. Continued success!!!

Best regards,

Jeff
Old 07-16-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'm amazed at how much information this thread has... it started as a small idea and has grown into something huge. Anyway - I think it's time we rename the title of this thread. It will always be a work in progress because retailers come and go - Maybe people would see it easier if the title were something like "International Online Retailers Master List" or "Complete Guide to International Retailers" or something like that. A thread like this deserves a really classy name.
Old 07-19-02, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Philippine Links

Awesome thread! You should develop this into a site of your own! My jaw just dropped seeing the sheer amount of information you've amassed here. Great work AutumnNights!! There's no other way to say it, but in my native language -- ang galing galing mo!!

Here are some links from my part of the world! (Philippines, in Southeast Asia)

Philippine DVD retailers:
Divisoria.com
PilipinoSuperstore.com
RegalFilms.com
Koleksyon.com
KaraokeJunction.com -- for Filipino karaoke DVDs
MyAyala.com

DVD Forum in the Philippines:
PinoyDVD.com -- Discussion on Filipino DVDs, R1 vs. R3 comparisons, news, reviews, ordering & shipping info, sales & trades
Old 08-15-02, 04:32 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<small>Is this the URL that was required higher up: http://www2.casadeldvd.es
Originally posted by Trigger
I'm amazed at how much information this thread has... it started as a small idea and has grown into something huge. Anyway - I think it's time we rename the title of this thread.
</small>I'd not until now seen the latest update.

It is indeed stupendous!

If
A/N would like to propose a title change that can easily be arranged.

All we need now is to find out what happened to cynthia. Anyone know? Her thread needs a temporary caretaker, methinks....
Old 08-27-02, 01:09 AM

FSK18

The German shops that offer FSK18-titles sell adult titles and/or the German equivalent of "R"-rated movies.

They must not be offered to minors - so they usually require you to verify your age before you can enter the shop.

Nice list :-)
Old 09-02-02, 10:58 PM

from the Brazilian etailer listing:

http://www.levox.com.br/ (Is the site still operating ?)
I don't believe this site is still around. I've tried accessing it a few times throughout the past week and had no luck.
Old 09-04-02, 11:37 PM

Where is the price comparison function located on the site http://www.mundodvd.com/?

Thanks.
Old 09-05-02, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
Could someone post the e-mail address for CINESTORE in France?

Thanks I appreciate your help.

Randy
Old 09-05-02, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Randy810
Could someone post the e-mail address for CINESTORE in France?
It's [email protected]. But they seem to respond most promptly if you send them messages via their web-site messaging system (the menu-item "Contacts" on the "Nos Services" panel).

Last edited by cine; 09-05-02 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-03-02, 07:14 PM
Banned

Great research... but ...

That is an INCREDIBLE resource. Thank you and well done!

However, I disagree with your opinion of our site, which you have placed in the category: "The UK review sites that either don't seem to be updated often or seem to be of questionable/limited usefulness".

UKHotMovies.com is FAR superior to the other five sites you have listed in this category for supposedly 'defunct' sites. You will not find a single broken image or link on the site (unlike, for example, the vBulletin logo image link on the registration page of this forum). And it is updated as often as I can spare the time.

Take a look atSPAM- I don't think it's a terrible site considering I had zero resources to create or promote it. 'so I spam message boards instead

When it was launched last year, I set out with the intention of updating it weekly. But then I realised that I was getting zilch reward for the hours of work I was putting into it every day.

I still update it several times a month, but I can't afford to pack in my day job when I only earn about £1 in revenue from the thousands of people who visit the site every day. I am not willing to sink to promoting movies of people engaged in vulgar sexual acts to generate revenue for the site - unlike various movie portals I could mention.

If people purchased something via my affiliate links, I might by able to able to devote more time to the site. Instead they just visit the site, enjoy the reviews, some of which take me days to research and write (I have won awards for the quality of my reviews), and then go off to some other site

Anyway, great resource AutumnNights

Last edited by UKHotMovies.com; 10-03-02 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-26-02, 05:16 AM
Cool New Member

Looking for adult dvds from European countries. I looked through the list and really could not find anything that gave a good list. Mainly German, French,and UK,but others are wanted also. Need them to be able to ship to the USA. Thanks!

Last edited by raptor3076; 10-26-02 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-31-02, 01:46 AM

Add this to Spain e-tailer with English interface.
www.starscafe.com
The site seems up to date, but shipping is crazy, for a single 18 euro DVD, shipping to another EU country was over 19 euros! Cheaper to order this from a retailer in the U.S. and ship it back to Europe!

Last edited by H8nXTC; 10-31-02 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-22-02, 01:03 PM

MachiavelDVD.com (Canadian e-tailer)

Great list!

It would be great if my new website could join the Canadian's Non-mainstream, Hard-to-find, Horror, or Obscure dvds section.

www.machiaveldvd.com

Thanks and keep up the excellent work.
Old 02-16-03, 12:14 AM

Some more Brazilian DVD retailers:

www.cinedvd.com.br
www.livrariasaraiva.com.br
www.dvdnow.com.br
www.submarino.com.br
www.americanas.com.br

Brazil only

www.dvdsking.com.br
www.alldvd.com.br
www.2001video.com.br

Last edited by samuelowens; 02-16-03 at 01:22 AM.
Old 02-18-03, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
No danish stores import R1 DVD's anymore - a new law forbids it.