Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > Key Thread Archive
Reload this Page >

The UNPOPULAR OPINIONS thread (Get them off your chest here)

The UNPOPULAR OPINIONS thread (Get them off your chest here)

Old 01-23-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by El Scorcho

BTW, "free country" does not mean "do as you please, regardless of the consequences others will face".
Why should I have to do as THEY please just because they need something to preach about? I really believe that about 80% of the non-smokers who preach about smoking are just stubborn and need something to talk about to put us smokers down.

Like I said, there are THOUSANDS of places that I am not allowed to smoke in, and I respect that and don't bitch about it. Why can't I be allowed a place to go and smoke? I certainly don't walk into the local Denny's to light up a cigarette. I know it is a non-smoking establishment. I would expect non-smokers not to walk in the local bar and preach about smoking cause they know it IS a smoking establishment.

If I'm smoking in the local bar, and someone sitting right next to me is a non-smoker and asks me to put out my cigarette cause it's going in their face, I certainly would. That's a respect issue. I expect the same respect in return.
Old 01-23-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by SBatL8y
Why can't I be allowed a place to go and smoke?
Why can't I be allowed a good restaurant to go and **** my girl on the table between the soup and the main course?
Old 01-23-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GuessWho
Why can't I be allowed a good restaurant to go and **** my girl on the table between the soup and the main course?
I don't see the point you're making. I agree. I can't go to a good restaurant and smoke, you can't go **** your girlfriend there either. Life sucks, don't it?
Old 01-23-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just cuz it's a legal act, doesn't make it right to do in front of others.

Maybe nosepicking is a better example....
Old 01-23-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SBatL8y:

You are aware that smoke doesn't have to be blowing in your face to be a secondhand smoke danger, right? Any bar you walk into (excluding those states that disallow indoor smoking in any establishment) the first thing you will see is a haze of smoke. A big fat cloud. Often times you won't be able to see to the back of the bar because of this cloud. This is something that I have to BREATHE IN if I want to enjoy a drink with a friend at a bar.

It has nothing to do with wanting to put smokers down. I have my vices. Hell, we all do. Some of you just happen to choose smoking as one of your vices. I respect that. What it *does* have to do with is that I have to assume an additional health risk if I want to enjoy certain activities. That's not really fair to the non-smokers, is it?

I think California law has it down perfect. Wanna smoke? Go outside and do it. The smokers can still have their fix and the non-smokers can breathe in peace.
Old 01-23-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SBatL8y:

1. You are aware that smoke doesn't have to be blowing in your face to be a secondhand smoke danger, right?

2. What it *does* have to do with is that I have to assume an additional health risk if I want to enjoy certain activities. That's not really fair to the non-smokers, is it?

1. Yes, I am aware of that.

2. I am 21, and have been smoking for a little less than 3 years. Since I was not old enough to go to bars yet, when I knew there was a party somewhere, and I knew there'd be smoking inside, I chose not to go. I wasn't a smoker, and didn't enjoy breathing it in. But I certainly didn't go to those kinds of parties expecting to walk in and have everyone put their cigarettes out because of me. And I certainly wouldn't go to a place like that and preach about it. Just like I don't go strip clubs because I don't feel like looking at naked women. Which sucks for me, because all my guy friends go there and they always have tons of fun. But I don't go because I choose not to be in that environment. If someone doesn't like smoke, they should choose not to put themselves in that environment.
Old 01-23-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Parties = private residence

Bars = public business

HUGE difference.

!=
Old 01-23-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've obviously brought up an un-popular opinion, so I guess I have succeeded in the partaking of this thread

I don't mean for my posts to offend anyone. So hopefully they are not.
Old 01-23-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way SBatL8y,

You can PayPal me all the paybacks for my cleaning bills, on behalf of all smokers who stink up my stuff every Friday & Saturday night. I know you'll do it because it's a respect issue and I expect the same respect in return.
Old 01-23-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think California law has it down perfect. Wanna smoke? Go outside and do it. The smokers can still have their fix and the non-smokers can breathe in peace.
I hate, hate, hate this subject.....but....

California's law is good for California, where it is 72 degrees all the time. They just passed this same type of thing in Dallas (this week), and that's not going to cut it when it's freezing and a 20 mph wind.

I don't care if I can't smoke in a restaurant. A bar? Please.
Old 01-23-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by GuessWho
By the way SBatL8y,

You can PayPal me all the paybacks for my cleaning bills, on behalf of all smokers who stink up my stuff every Friday & Saturday night. I know you'll do it because it's a respect issue and I expect the same respect in return.
If it weren't for smoke, you wouldn't clean your clothes?
Old 01-23-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
I hate, hate, hate this subject.....but....

California's law is good for California, where it is 72 degrees all the time. They just passed this same type of thing in Dallas (this week), and that's not going to cut it when it's freezing and a 20 mph wind.

I don't care if I can't smoke in a restaurant. A bar? Please.
Not true. I saw lots of people shivering their asses off while they smoked outside of bars in California at night, especially near the beaches.

Besides, if freezing temps and 20 mph winds get you to stay inside and not smoke, that's just a benefit for ya in the long run.
Old 01-23-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
If it weren't for smoke, you wouldn't clean your clothes?
I think he means he wouldn't have to clean his leather jacket every 5 days to get rid of the smell.
Old 01-23-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

El Scorcho, I was just using that as an example. I wasn't old enough to make a comparison/example with a bar scenario.

And what does comparing apples to a red "x" have to do with anything?
Old 01-23-03, 05:25 PM
X
Administrator

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I thought this thread was for posting your unpopular opinions, not arguing with them or beating them to death.

Can't the "discussions" be done in their own thread?
Old 01-23-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you have the right to kick someone's ass because they smoke then they certainly have a right to smoke.
You act as though it is considered acceptable to kick a smoker's ass just because someone feels like it. Your only argument for having the right to smoke as freely as you want in public is merely "it's a free country, I'll do what I want". You're really stretching the concept of "free country".

Why should I have to do as THEY please just because they need something to preach about? I really believe that about 80% of the non-smokers who preach about smoking are just stubborn and need something to talk about to put us smokers down.
*yawn*

Why can't I be allowed a place to go and smoke?
Because it's a disgusting habit that disgusting to all the people who have to be affected by it in public. Just because *you can* and it's sadly become a social norm doesn't mean you should be allowed to. Why can't I unzip my pants and take a piss where ever I want in public, in restaurants, in museums, etc.?

I don't see the point you're making. I agree. I can't go to a good restaurant and smoke, you can't go **** your girlfriend there either. Life sucks, don't it?
No, you can't bang your girlfriend on the table in front of dozens of people between main courses, but you don't tell me you can't find a restaurant to smoke in.

Just like I don't go strip clubs because I don't feel like looking at naked women.
The purpose of a strip club is to display naked women. The purpose of a bar is to serve drinks and serve as a gathering place; it is not intended as a smoking club.

when I knew there was a party somewhere, and I knew there'd be smoking inside, I chose not to go. I wasn't a smoker, and didn't enjoy breathing it in. But I certainly didn't go to those kinds of parties expecting to walk in and have everyone put their cigarettes out because of me.
Parties are (generally) held in homes, and no one is suggesting the outright banning of cigarette smoking on people's private property.

If someone doesn't like smoke, they should choose not to put themselves in that environment.
Better yet, create more environments where people don't have to endure breathing that nasty crap into their lungs. Again-- status quo does not equal right. As someone brought up a little earlier, slavery would still be acceptable - as it once was - along your line of thinking.
Old 01-23-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by X
I thought this thread was for posting your unpopular opinions, not arguing with them or beating them to death.
oops.....sorry. I honestly forgot.
Old 01-23-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
come on x

DTSC is our resident troll now that classicman is a.w.o.l. I would think you knew this by now.
Old 01-23-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Expecting "Unpopular opinions" threads to not naturally turn into a debate of some sort is as crazy as indoor smoking.
Old 01-23-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, so I'm going to go to a bar (where I know it is a smoking establishment) and preach about all the smoke in there and how it stinks and I can't breath. Then I'm going to expect someone to clean my clothes for me when I CHOSE to go into the bar where I KNEW there was smoke and couldn't breath but CHOSE to stay?

Let me ask you this. Why MUST you go to a bar where you know there's going to be smoke and where you will be miserable because you can't breath? Because you should be able to go where your friends go and where it's fun, right? I'll tell you what, if you ban smoking from bars, 80% of those people there won't be there and then it won't be so much fun anymore now will it? Have fun at the local bar where about 10 non-smokers show up to sit and stare at eachother.
Old 01-23-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Please continue the smoking discussion here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=265959
Old 01-23-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SBatL8y
I'll tell you what, if you ban smoking from bars, 80% of those people there won't be there
Good, more seats for me and my friends. I don't have ANY that smoke (and I go out in groups up to 25 at times)
Old 01-23-03, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.

50% of the bars in Cali you can still smoke in.
Old 01-23-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hugh Grant is an excellent actor. He is type-cast...why hold that against him? While we are on the subject, meg ryan is an excellent actress.

Chick flicks can be good. Yes they might be stereotypical and unrealistic...but it is a movie!!

People knock DMB...but before they sold out (when they trashed the lillywhite album for a sell-out effort called Busted Stuff) they were a great AND talented group.

James Taylor is one of the greatest musicians in the past 30 years...bar none. The Doors were overated, The Rolling Stones...fluff.

Bruce Springsteen is one of the best artists and never gets enough respect for his work in the 80's.

Robert Downey Jr. was amazing in Ally McBeal. Jon Bon Jovi was decent, but there was a definate chemistry between he and Calista F. It was a shame he couldn't keep his life straight.

Seinfeld is one of the best shows of the last 20-30 years.

I would also like to reaffirm that watching the English Patient is a similar experience to watching paint dry and/or reading a telephone book for fun.

Dr. Suess was a brilliant writer and defined a genre that can't be copied. (he was not "just" a children's book writer..most children's books SUCK now)

Smoking IS annoying and should only be allowed outside...AWAY from the door.

Intrinsic Motivation does have its values and applications in real life and isn't a pipe dream.

-pedagogue
Old 01-23-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of you really have trouble with the whole "opinion" concept.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.