DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Key Thread Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/key-thread-archive-27/)
-   -   Das Boot Director's cut? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/key-thread-archive/150779-das-boot-directors-cut.html)

GatePratt 10-15-01 09:10 PM

Das Boot Director's cut?

I was at Walmart tonight and saw the Das Boot director's cut for $14.96 so I bought it. When I got home, I checked the version on Amazon. They claim the director's cut comes out Dec 11 and they are taking pre-orders. My version definitely says Director's cut on it so I am asking if Amazon is wrong or what? Thanks in advance.

KC-Chris 10-15-01 09:16 PM

Sounds like a Price Drop, alot of times Wal-Mart drops the price on the titles, even before the actual new price takes effect, I guess it is customer friendly to do so. They did this with the Man with No Name movies, as well as the Scream Boxed set. It will be the same release that you have now which is a great disc, except it is a "Flipper".

Later

GatePratt 10-15-01 09:21 PM

so this is the same thing that Amazon says will be out in December? I want to make sure I have the right edition before I open it. I'd hate to buy one version now when a better version will be out in 2 months. Thanks again!

Drexl 10-15-01 09:29 PM

The current release of Das Boot (aka "Director's Cut";)) is the director's cut, and a flipper.

I had heard about a non-flipper (RSDL) edition being released. Is this coming in December? If not, it could be another title that Amazon doesn't have in stock for some reason, and lists a future release date even though it's already out. They did this with Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition a couple of months ago.

Bandoman 10-15-01 09:35 PM

The DTS version is funnier.

Three Day Delay 10-15-01 09:35 PM

Re: Das Boot Director's cut?

Originally posted by GatePratt
I was at Walmart tonight and saw the Das Boot director's cut for $14.96 so I bought it. When I got home, I checked the version on Amazon. They claim the director's cut comes out Dec 11 and they are taking pre-orders. My version definitely says Director's cut on it so I am asking if Amazon is wrong or what? Thanks in advance.
The first director's cut was a twikoff promotion. Look for the December version for the true director's cut.

mikehunt 10-15-01 09:37 PM

I love the das boot version of das boot
the captain is the 2nd in command of the tiger claw

GatePratt 10-15-01 09:41 PM

twikoff promotion?

kenny79 10-15-01 09:41 PM

rotfl

Otters attack!

Goblincat 10-15-01 09:43 PM

twikoff promotion?
unfortunately, yes.

Boot 10-15-01 09:45 PM

The December version also has an additional sade commentary that the twikoff promotion didn't have.

GatePratt 10-15-01 09:45 PM

What is a twikoff promotion? I've never heard of it. Sorry, I wasn't clear the first time.

Jules Winfield 10-15-01 09:46 PM

What am I doing outside of the other forum? Awww!!!!(Jules starts burning.)

Jules Winfield 10-15-01 09:47 PM

Originally posted by Boot
The December version also has an additional sade commentary that the twikoff promotion didn't have.
:lol:

I'm sorry if I gave the serious vibe away but you one funny bitch. :lol:

Three Day Delay 10-15-01 09:49 PM

What is a twikoff promotion? I've never heard of it. Sorry, I wasn't clear the first time.
The twikoff promotion comes with a side commentary from a baby with a rabbit's head. It's very interesting.

Static Cling 10-15-01 09:50 PM

Refer to <a href="http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143749&perpage=40&pagenumber=1">this thread</a> for details.

http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0...dI/frankie.gif<font size="1">Twikoff good!</font>

mikehunt 10-15-01 09:53 PM

I've found the commentaries on dvds produced by twikoff to be sub-par, compared to those by the japanese film commentator Oolong.
Oolong knows how to make commentaries

GatePratt 10-15-01 09:55 PM

Hey, you guys are clever but does anyone know the answer to my question? Is a new better version of Das Boot coming out in December or is Amazon wrong and what I bought tonight the actual director's cut?

mikehunt 10-15-01 10:03 PM

there is currently a directors cut, about 3 hours long, have to flip the disc halfway through

Hey, you guys are clever but does anyone know the answer to my question? Is a new better version of Das Boot coming out in December or is Amazon wrong and what I bought tonight the actual director's cut?

Hendrik 10-15-01 10:04 PM

GatePratt: ...don't worry... there is only the one Director's Cut (the movie originally was a 6-hour TV mini-series, but AFAIK that was only shown in Germany and has never been released on any HV carrier)...

...note: the R2/(Germany) release is a DVD-9 SS-DL RSDL disc, not a 'flipper' ...perhaps the 'new' one coming to R1 will also be single-sided...

. . . :o . . .

GatePratt 10-15-01 10:05 PM

Thanks!

RandyC 10-15-01 10:10 PM

Sorry GatePratt, the gate was accidently unlocked.

Das Boot is an old DVDtalk inside joke.

Wizdar 10-15-01 10:19 PM

Originally posted by randyc
How can you say that with a straight face? -eek-

mikehunt 10-15-01 10:20 PM

sure, act all innocent, you led us in here :)
don't let the * lull you into a sense of security :)

Originally posted by randyc

Das Boot is an old DVDtalk inside joke.

Centurion 10-15-01 10:52 PM

I studied German for 20 years in Chinatown and the correct translation of Das Boot is Director's Cut.