DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Key Thread Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/key-thread-archive-27/)
-   -   So why cant the US just knock off terrorists again? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/key-thread-archive/131719-so-why-cant-us-just-knock-off-terrorists-again.html)

minifigg 08-06-01 01:55 PM

So why cant the US just knock off terrorists again?

Not to show my naivete or anything, but WHY can't the US just go in and give an "Attitude Adjustment" to certain world leaders and terrorists instead of punishing innocent citizens who just happen to live in the f-ed up country they run?? AND how can ABC News find Osama Bin Laden, but the CIA can't???? Please feel free to explain and or flame away...
Thanks,
mini, the liberal who is not a liberal on some issues...

Venusian 08-06-01 01:57 PM

"we are not in the business of assasinating people" - Uncle Sam

although the U.S. has done this in the past, and according to movies still does this secretly, officially the U.S. does not do this anymore. Its hard for us to tell Israel they can't do this to Palestinians if we're doing it to other people.

minifigg 08-06-01 02:01 PM

Um, yeah, but we could save so much suffering.
Why not cut the crap and just get the evil folk as opposed to spending MILLIONS of dollars, risking our citizens abroad, stationing troops where they shouldn't be and hurting people who have not committed crimes.
mini, pro Isreal, anti-terrorist.

Venusian 08-06-01 02:04 PM

then you start getting into who is a terrorist and who is not?

who's on our list? bin Laden, Castro, Arrafat, Tony Blair?

Venusian 08-06-01 02:06 PM

Originally posted by minifigg
Um, yeah, but we could save so much suffering.
Why not cut the crap and just get the evil

thats why i'm glad i don't have to make the decision to push the button.

when the U.S. citiznes got kidnapped in Philipines, here is the ideal solution. Pay the money and get them out. Since the Philipine army knows the general whereabouts of teh terrorists, napalm the island and burn them out.

Same in Columibia and Equador. Napalm the jungle, burn the terrorists out and burn their cocain crop.

we can do this, but does that make it right. we have to be ready for a very harsh backlash from these people's supporters...will we be ready to handle that?

Iron Chef 08-06-01 02:09 PM

Remember that scene in Patriot Games, when Jack Ryan and other CIA people are watching a counterterrorist attack on a base in Libya? That was so cool.

minifigg 08-06-01 02:21 PM

I'm surprised that more have not chimed in on this...
Whatever.
Bin Laden is a terrorist. Period.
Get him.
mini

Venusian 08-06-01 02:22 PM

Whatever.
Get him.
mini

have you seen The Seige?

minifigg 08-06-01 02:26 PM

Nope. But I have seen the sister of one of his victims. :(
mini

broadwayblue 08-06-01 02:27 PM

Whatever.
Get him.
mini

i'll chip in if you're taking up a collection.

Venusian 08-06-01 02:28 PM

Nope. But I have seen the sister of one of his victims. :(
mini

SPOILER of the Siege below but not a bad spoiler

Spoiler:
in the movie the U.S. invades and arrest bin somebody (looks like bin Laden but they use a different name), the U.S. denies having done this but muslims start terrorirzing New York. In the movie the govt restorts to martial law and "seiging" new york. anyway...its a really good movie, you shoudl watch it

nomaan 08-06-01 03:40 PM

I'd like to see that happen, and then the response from the so called "terrorists".

Before jumping in and calling everyone a terrorist, read up why they're doing this. You just might learn something..

minifigg 08-06-01 03:43 PM

Originally posted by nomaan
I'd like to see that happen, and then the response from the so called "terrorists".

Before jumping in and calling everyone a terrorist, read up why they're doing this. You just might learn something..

:confused:
So reading the manifestos of Bin Laden will change my mind???
I doubt it.
I have learned something by his actions.
I have learned that he should be in custody.
mini

Iron Chef 08-06-01 03:45 PM

Originally posted by nomaan

There is no excuse for what terrorists do. They're just a bunch of crybabies who cannot think of any other way to approach a problem or issue without violence.

on a side note

Bin Laden can kiss my butthttp://www.ameritech.net/users/dvdtalk/mooned.gif

Bite me you terrorist turd no good people murdering half wit!

:johnwoo: Bin Laden

Bin Laden = http://www.ameritech.net/users/dvdtalk/loser.gif

kenny79 08-06-01 04:01 PM

I'm very much all for kicking ass, not caring about taking names, and letting Satan sort 'em out.

benedict 08-06-01 04:08 PM

<i><font color=blue>If you want to make a case for such action then just try to define terrorism in a non-biased way and before long people will post here examples of where representatives of your own country have acted in a way that fits your description.</font></i>

<small>

Whatever.
Get him.
mini

</small>How do you know this? Did you read it in the paper or see it in the news? Because these media are reknowned for being unbiased and having no agenda whatsoever, aren't they?

Reading between the lines, I have little doubt that his acolytes engage in terrorist tactics but so do many "friends" of the US and Europe. Sometimes us "good guys" train them how to go about it! Someone once said that <i>one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter</i>; wise words, IMNSHO.

Don't forget that that bogeyman in Iraq was once an ally, back when Iran was the bad guy. Ever wondered how we knew about all those weapons of his? We sold them to him is why!

As for seeing abhorring the results of terrorism well, of course we do. As we do the results of Agent Orange and napalm.

If the US or Europe started overtly knocking-off foreign heads of state then there would be no moral high ground whatsoever: those Third World nations would have carte blanche to bring the battle to the streets and capitals of the First World on a more regular basis.

minifigg 08-06-01 04:18 PM

benedict:
I have a friend who lost a brother and had her father critically injured in a terrorist act orchestrated by Bin Laden BY HIS OWN ADMISSION . He and his fellow murderous followers celebrated their noteriety over this cowardly act.
Certain things are just WRONG.
mini
Oh, and what makes you think that would be terrorists do not DAILY threaten US Citizens here and abroad?? It is their cowardice coupled with our preparedness that keeps their urges in check, not any supposed "moral higher ground".

eXcentris 08-06-01 04:23 PM

I would agree with benedict. Some of these "terrorists" you sold weapons to!
Of course you'd have to define "terrorist". There are some people who have said that Henry Kissinger should be brought to trial for crimes against humanity you know. :)

To answer your question, you don't do it because you're not very good at it. I mean how many times has the US tried to assasinate Castro and Khadafi. :)

classicman2 08-06-01 04:23 PM

To answer the original question: There is an Executive Order prohibiting it.

Venusian 08-06-01 04:26 PM

I understand how you feel, well maybe not completely since i dont know anyone directly affected by him. I am totally against violence but recently i saw a thing on tv about people in India selling preteen girls to be prostitutes. the only thing i could think of is give me a baseball bat and let me go over there and they won't be doing this anymore. but i know that isn't the best solution but sometimes you just feel like :johnwoo:

minifigg 08-06-01 04:26 PM

Originally posted by classicman2
To answer the original question: There is an Executive Order prohibiting it.
I was wondering when you would wander in...
Thank you. Do you know when it was signed?
mini

minifigg 08-06-01 04:29 PM

Originally posted by eXcentris

To answer your question, you don't do it because you're not very good at it. I mean how many times has the US tried to assasinate Castro and Khadafi. :)

Werd. Buy WHY? Surely if Diane Sawyer can find these guys...maybe she just has better intel??
mini

benedict 08-06-01 04:30 PM

I meant that when <i>we</i> start acting outside of the law on a regular basis - killing outside of wartime - then we lose any claim to holding the moral high ground: we become terrorist also.

The main reason I ask anyone espousing your view to define what you mean by "terrorism" is because it doesn't take long to find recent examples of "respectable" nations having engaged in similar tactics.

Aside from empathy, I cannot speak for your friend's loss: there are plenty of people who have expereinced similar losses at the hands of those implicitly and explicitly supported (or even armed/trained) by the US and European nations. It doesn't make any of it "right" but I am trying to suggest more of a re-focussing and less of aknee-jerk reaction.

It is a difficult one, I agree.

(PS I knew the answer C-man gave but I thought it better posted by a US citizen! I think it was signed some time after the Bay of Pigs fiasco).

eXcentris 08-06-01 04:31 PM

Werd. Buy WHY? Surely if Diane Sawyer can find these guys...maybe she just has better intel??
mini

That's it! Send Barbara Walters and Dan Rather on a covert op! :)

classicman2 08-06-01 04:32 PM

I was wondering when you would wander in...
Thank you. Do you know when it was signed?
mini

I believe the original Executive Order was signed by Nixon. There have been modifications to the original order that limit the executive's activity even further than the original order did.

I believe, I am not certain though, that it takes Congressional action to overturn this particular Executive Order. I don't believe the President can do it on his own as he can with many other Executive Orders.