DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Key Thread Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/key-thread-archive-27/)
-   -   "Otter Farm" word origin...since you were all wondering (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/key-thread-archive/130749-otter-farm-word-origin-since-you-were-all-wondering.html)

Mr Maxwell House 08-02-01 01:24 PM

"Otter Farm" word origin...since you were all wondering

Welcome to the Otter History Channel. I'm your host, Mr Max

A post in this thread got me wondering... Why do we call it the "Otter Farm"? I mean, Otter Farm sounds a bit like Other Forum, but who coined it? How did it spread? Why does it even matter? Well my friends, I believe I can answer all these questions, except for that last one.

The first reference to the "OTTER forum" I could find came from kinky in this post on 1-19-01. It was quite possibly just a typo, but otters saw it and it stuck in their minds...

...Especially the mind of sfsdfd, who is probably the user most responsible for introducing "Otter Farm" into the forum vocabulary. On 3-20-01, presumably after seeing kinky's post when that thread was bumped the day before, sfsdfd made two posts (here and here). These are the first documented cases of the phrase "Otter Farm" being used.

But even after the phrase was coined, people didn't start using it right away. sfsdfd was the only one speaking of an Otter Farm for two months after the phrase first appeared. Then, on 4-22-01, here, elektra became the second member to use those famous words.

From that point on, the newly coined phrase took on a life of its own, appearing over and over again, permeating every corner of DVD Talk. "Otter Farm" became as much a part of the forum as Satan's Boner and Jules' Mama. But more than that, it helped make us what we are today... OTTERS!!

Bibliography:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/search....g&pagenumber=1

Venusian 08-02-01 01:26 PM

good job, you apparently have too much time on your hands :D :)

X 08-02-01 01:29 PM

Excellent research. Now if we could only find a cure.

1-19-01: A day that will live in infamy.

joltaddict 08-02-01 01:35 PM

It was used before 1-19-01. I saw it in Bargains first and it was used by someone in a derogatory way, something along the lines of "look at his post count count, those Otters have no life".

Some threads were lost during one of the forum upgrades, not this last one but a previous software switch. I remember trying to pull up old NBA threads after that upgrade and they only went back so far.

Bandoman 08-02-01 02:00 PM

Great, well-documented research. There's a book in there somewhere. You'd need a chapter about misfit otters, however. :)

minifigg 08-02-01 02:02 PM

Actually I do not like it being called the "Otter Farm". I am cuter than that.
mini

Bandoman 08-02-01 02:03 PM

Originally posted by minifigg
mini

Otters are cute.

What would you prefer, bunny farm? Puppy farm? Mini farm?

Jackskeleton 08-02-01 02:03 PM

Originally posted by joltaddict
It was used before 1-19-01. I saw it in Bargains first and it was used by someone in a derogatory way, something along the lines of "look at his post count count, those Otters have no life".

Yes, it was a terrible mistake to step into the bargins forum... they really crushed me with those comments..... ;)

Lethal Nemesis 08-02-01 02:06 PM

"...those Otters have no life".

That's not so far from the truth :p

Keyser Soze 08-02-01 02:07 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

Yes, it was a terrible mistake to step into the bargins forum... they really crushed me with those comments..... ;)

:mad: Yea! They can't tell our JackS that he has no life.... :mad:

... only <B><I>we</B></I> can tell him that!

rotfl

-keyser "damn I'm busy today" soze
###

X 08-02-01 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Bandoman

Otters are cute.

What would you prefer, bunny farm? Puppy farm? Mini farm?

Other Forum

Bandoman 08-02-01 02:14 PM

Originally posted by X
Other Forum
What's that?

crankyman 08-02-01 02:32 PM

oh.....the mini forum!!

i sooooo want to be part of her harem.

cranky.

kenny79 08-02-01 02:32 PM

Originally posted by minifigg
mini

Not that we've had any proof. ;) -ptth-

Dead 08-02-01 02:33 PM

Some threads were lost during one of the forum upgrades, not this last one but a previous software switch. I remember trying to pull up old NBA threads after that upgrade and they only went back so far.

The first time I remember seeing it was when some of the Others had upset one of the mods... maybe jonathan.e though I'm not certain.

Doug Heffernan 08-02-01 02:41 PM

pics?

namja 08-02-01 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Dead
The first time I remember seeing it was when some of the Others had upset one of the mods... maybe jonathan.e though I'm not certain.
Yeah, last summer (2000). When we raided one of the forums because they said something derogatory toward the Other Forum.

kinky 08-02-01 02:46 PM

Re: "Otter Farm" word origin...since you were all wondering

Originally posted by Mr Max

The first reference to the "OTTER forum" I could find came from kinky in this post on 1-19-01. It was quite possibly just a typo, but otters saw it and it stuck in their minds...
That was no friggin' typpo (<---- this one is, but not *that* one) :)

Woo Hoo .... do I credit for naming this sty ?

While I'd like to claim credit for coming up with the name, it wouldn't be right. I think that name surfaced during some witty banter over at the #dvdtalk chatroom. sfsdfd used to be quite active over there and it is entirely possible that he came up with the name first.

namja 08-02-01 02:49 PM

Re: Re: "Otter Farm" word origin...since you were all wondering

Originally posted by kinky
While I'd like to claim credit for coming up with the name, it wouldn't be right. I think that name surfaced during some witty banter over at the #dvdtalk chatroom. sfsdfd used to be quite active over there and it is entirely possible that he came up with the name first.
shhhh. until someone can prove otherwise, it's yours to keep.

-wink-
Spoiler:
on the other hand, it's not the person that comes up with it that counts. it's who popularized it. so even if sfsdfd didn't come up with it, he did popularized it, so he should get the credit.

Goblincat 08-02-01 03:06 PM

I thought the name came about one day when we had a thread about these:

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/b...ter_pop.50.gif

Am I wrong?

joltaddict 08-02-01 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Goblincat
I thought the name came about one day when we had a thread about these:
That was just a spinoff of the original, like Joanie Loves Chachi.

Goblincat 08-02-01 03:16 PM

That was just a spinoff of the original, like Joanie Loves Chachi.
Oh. Well, it was at least a year ago that it was spun off then, making this a lot older than January of this year.

jadasion 08-02-01 03:16 PM

Thank you for that 'DVDtalk Behind the Scenes: The Otters' :)

X 08-02-01 03:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: "Otter Farm" word origin...since you were all wondering

Originally posted by namja
so he should get the credit.
I think you misspelled the word "blame". It does not start with a "c".

jonathan.e 08-31-01 04:36 AM

Originally posted by Dead

Hey, that’s me. Although it appears I’m a Mod no longer. I’d love to tell you why but I don’t know the reason. Stay posted for developments.

Re. the Otter thing. I can only claim to have started using the word in the context of the Otter Forum as I believe one of the members sig had a reference to Otters and I thought it was apt to just replace one letter in "Other" and you got Otter. It was never a derogatory term, more a cute nom de plume. Some bright spark added farm on the end and there you have it - Otter Forum!