Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

JPN horror movie: Ring

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

JPN horror movie: Ring

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-01, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard that this Japanese horror movie will soon be playing in theaters across the US soon. (It's played in the UK already and is out on DVD and VHS there.) I'm curious because I'm a fan of the movie, and I would eventually like to own it on DVD. However, it is only available from the UK presently, that's region 2 and PAL at that.
OK. What if I do end up getting the region 2 version? Short of buying a region 2 DVD player, what can I do to watch the disc?
Old 04-05-01, 09:27 AM

re: ring

i recently obtained the uk dvd-copy of ring; while it's being advertised as a region 2 dvd, the cover clearly states it's region 0. in other words viewable on any player. (i have a multisystem player myself, so i can't really verify it)
pc
Old 04-05-01, 05:28 PM

I have the DVD as well. It is region 0, but it is PAL, so you will need to have the ability to convert the signal to NTSC to watch it in the US.

I haven't watched the film yet...any good?
Old 04-05-01, 07:59 PM

Ring--JPN region 2

From my research on the net, the Japanese disc of the movie is DD 5.1, but it is without English subtitles. And according to an online retailor, the UK disc is DD 2.0 only.
By the way, is there an outboard converter that converts PAL signals to NTSC? Thanks.
Old 04-06-01, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your player also needs to be able to pass a PAL signal. Some NTSC players can, some cannot. If you have a PC DVD-Rom drive, you can play a region free PAL disc without any problems though...
Old 04-08-01, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do any of these discs come with English dub or subtitles? Chinese would be good too.
Old 04-08-01, 04:14 AM

The UK R2 DVD has english subtitles, as it was transfered from a subtitled exhibition print. Its also not the best transfer.

The Japanese R2 DVD has no english dub/subtitles, but it looks INFINITELY better and has a killer 5.1 track.

The Taiwanese R0 DVD has chinese subs. Quality is average at best would be my guess.
Old 04-09-01, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I've just put in an order for Ring at blackstar. 20 pounds shipped. Pricey, but I've been meaning to get this movie for so long already, and I don't know where else to get it.