Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD's in Korea? What to buy?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

DVD's in Korea? What to buy?

Old 03-18-01, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to Korea next week and I was wondering if any of the forum memmbers have bought any DVD's when they were there. I am going to be in Seoul and Pusan and am wondering if I should dip into the DVD slush fund to stock up when I am over there.

Thanks
Rich
P.S. What else should I buy while I'm there?
Old 03-18-01, 09:53 PM

rich,

im in korea right now...ill look around and see...but im not really sure if korea works the way hong kong does(ie pirated dvds)

Old 03-18-01, 11:10 PM

there should be few pirated DVDs in Korea. it is more likely none exists. In asia except for Hong Kong, DVD isn't widely popular.

have fun there. it is a beautiful country except for unbelievably heavy traffic in Seoul (almost as bad as Tokyo).
Old 03-19-01, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought he was asking what to buy?I also plan for a trip to Seoul , might be a big help if you guys can tell me where to buy and how much does it cost for a dvd in Korea?
Old 03-19-01, 04:32 AM

hi rich,

i went out and saw one dvd store but didnt go in....i think prices are going to be fairly expensive and unless you have a region free player you arent going to be able to play them..

something I did see in the shoe stores...they have the Jordan XI patent leather retros which are almost impossible to find in the stores in the US so if you buy off ebay it'll cost a good $180-200...here they sell for 150,000 won which equates to about $120 US dollars(the exchange rate is 1261 won to $1 US dollar which is extremely good...last time i came it was around 750)
Old 03-19-01, 08:39 AM

Hi, Rich

Actually, there're absolutely not rigion free DVDs which is released in Korea. (but I heard that some Korean DVDs could be played with "not-rigion free DVD player" even though it's rigion code 3.)
However,,,,you can find some rigion free DVDs realeased ( duplicated ??? ) in China easily. it's gonna be around 15,000 won (less than $12).

and many DVD stores have U.S. music DVDs, and most of them are around 24,000 won ( $18.5 )
(ex. Mariah Carey, Divas 98, Jennifer Lopez, Eric Clapton , and so on.... )

and ... the exchange rate is $1 to about 1,299 won.

Do you have any more questions or need more informations?

Have a nice time in Korea....

From Korean

[Edited by ehotl1 on 03-19-01 at 06:53 AM]
Old 03-19-01, 08:51 AM

plus, that unimaginable heavy traffic in Pusan is much more worse than in Seoul.....

[Edited by ehotl1 on 03-19-01 at 06:53 AM]
Old 03-19-01, 10:53 AM

I'd have to say there is traffic everywhere in Korea..
Took me about 3 hours to get to a place that would have taken about 30 min without traffic..

All I can say.. Take the SUBWAY.. and if you get a chance.. ride the buses... the ride is great..
It feels as if you are riding a rollercoaster..

Fellow Korean =)
Old 03-19-01, 07:43 PM

Thanks for allthe quick responses. I have been told to go to Iteawon (sp?) in Seoul. I have also been told that there is a lot of pirated DVD's as well as Cd's and software availible on the street. Should I buy any electronics? What else is a good deal? Anything I should avoid? How about watches?

Rich
Old 03-19-01, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

are you asking which korean movies are good? if so, try
http://koreanfilm.org/index.html for more info...

Old 03-20-01, 02:56 AM

There are a number of Region Free Korean movies available on dvd. Not too many had english subs, but the more recent titles have. There are plenty of HK dvds released in the Korean market. They aren't pirates or anything, just Korean issues. Megastar had a couple of exclusives for there, but their names escape me at the moment. Dunno about other stuff. Prices can range from good to ridiculous. One of the more popular online stores there charges 35 US for discs you can probably find for 15-20 US retail in the various shops over there. You may want to track down a fellow by the name of Darryl Pestilence who posts regularly on alt.asian-movies on usenet (a google/dejanews search on his name might track him down). I believe he is still based over there so he'll have a good line on the dvd scene over there.